I'm wondering if iOS 5 fails to impress iPhone 4 users if they'll make a return switch to Blackberry? I have been considering doing so myself for the past few months. I miss some of the Blackberry features iPhone/iOS fails to offer...message light notification, instant email alerts, physical keyboard, etc. The only things I didn't care for were the web browsing and lack of apps like the iOS and Android have.
    10-12-11 03:56 PM
    10-12-11 04:02 PM
    Why would users be unimpressed?? considering that iOS and Android OS is light years ahead of BB OS.

Now, you're entitled to your opinion, so if you feel so, then switch back.
    kingest_kong and K Bear like this.
    10-12-11 04:03 PM
    They could, or they could switch to an android type phone.
    10-12-11 04:05 PM
    The iPhone users I know are impressed. My parents are getting the new iPhone. Two others are eating for the next iPhone after that. But I haven't heard of any of them switching to Blackberry.
    10-12-11 04:05 PM
    @ OP: Maybe, but with the current outage with BB however, users will be weighting there options more.

Why would users be unimpressed?? considering that iOS and Android OS is light years ahead of BB OS.

@glinc :

Just like your entitled to your own.

I had a iPhone 3GS, and switched to blackberry. Even with iOS 5, I won't switch back to the iPhone.
    10-12-11 04:06 PM
    Sorry, I don't follow. I'm still waiting for Android and iOS to catch up to blackberry!

They're still behind on notifications and PIM. They're so far behind in multitasking and security that I don't know that they'll ever catch up.

RIM is, of course, leading the pack with NFC and app developers are already doing some neat and innovative things with that feature.

I don't see where RIM is behind at all, let along "light years" behind.
    sleepngbear and Jake Storm like this.
    10-12-11 04:11 PM

How are those OS's light years ahead? Apps aren't an OS.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    10-12-11 04:11 PM
    Sorry, I don't follow. I'm still waiting for Android and iOS to catch up to blackberry!

They're still behind on notifications and PIM. They're so far behind in multitasking and security that I don't know that they'll ever catch up.

RIM is, of course, leading the pack with NFC and app developers are already doing some neat and innovative things with that feature.

Tell that to the millions of people who are switching to either device.
    10-12-11 04:12 PM
    Tell that to the millions of people who are switching to either device.
    Why bother it's obvious they don't care about security or the things mentioned by recompile.
    10-12-11 04:16 PM
    Catch up to blackberry????? HA! How do iOS and Android need to catch up? In total amount of downtime? Blackberry is great (when it works) for enterprise email and calendar management outside of the office. That's pretty much it. Android and iOS outshine in every other way.

I was a LOYAL blackberry user until switching to the iPhone a year ago. I will never go back.
    10-12-11 04:21 PM

howarmat, kingest_kong and K Bear like this.
    10-12-11 04:24 PM
    I've been on iOS 5 since June. It works very well. I'm not interested in any BBs besides the 9930, but I'm not going to buy it full retail. The iPhone would still be my daily device anyways.
    10-12-11 04:28 PM
    The thread title makes it sound like users being "unimpressed" with iOS 5 would be bigger pull for BlackBerry than the BlackBerry's own features.

As an answer to the question, I would expect some people to make the change. But I'd also expect the net change to be away from the BlackBerry, in part because of this horribly-timed issue RIM has been having.
    10-12-11 04:35 PM
    iOS5 from everything I am reading is more of the same, but each individual is different. I think the iPhone is in an identity crisis now. Yes, it set a record for preorders, but at one time the tech world looked to the iPhone release as sort of a benchmark in what smartphones could and should be able to do, this newest phone and OS appears to be keeping with the status quo.

Think about it, the original iPhone even with all its flaws with battery, signal reception, etc. sort of was a pioneer in internet browsing, touch interface, integrated into a phone. I know it didn't invent touch screens on mobile devices or internet browsing on a mobile device, but incorporating it into a phone, it did.

The iPhone3G pretty much invented and made an app store necessary on every smartphone platform. The 3GS actually made internet browsing good. The iPhone4 pushed the limits on tech at the time, minus flash.

The iPhone4S? Sorry, but Siri is just another version of Google Talk. iMessage appears to be a ripoff of BBM. iCloud is just like Amazon's Cloud Player which Android phones were the first to get like in what, March or April, and also with dozens of other cloud services I can think of, iCloud is not at all any breakthrough. The talk of 200+ new features in iOS5 or the tech specs or antennas, are not noticeable upgrades since the iPhone4 which preceded it browsed really well and a speed boost would not be noticeable.

In other words iPhone4 and iPhone4S are essentially the same for everyday use and are both well behind the curve of what the newest Android phones are capable of. BB's always seem to be behind the curve in tech specs, but now appear to have caught up to Apple. But if you want cutting edge tech in your smartphone, Android phones are the way to go.

So will Apple lose users to RIM over this? I would say probably not, but it will to Android users that demand better tech.

Users don't flock to RIM to have the bells and whistles of cutting edge tech. I think people stick with BB's for being excellent communications devices for calls, messages, email, texting, BBM, etc. which all work great on the best keyboards on any smartphone I ever used.

I think the iPhone consumer and BB consumer are just different people. Android/iPhone users want the top tech, the most apps. BB users want good tech, good apps, but not sacrificing the reliability or battery life of its primary function- an all in one great communications device.

I mean me personally, I don't know why anyone would want to type on a touch screen for more than anything more than web browsing a topic in a few words. On a BB, I can type away and actually enjoy typing rather than the tedious touch screen typing.

But I am just not an iPhone guy, but can respect innovations it has done over the years... it just hasn't done much this time out, even 18 months after the last iphone release...
    10-12-11 07:31 PM
    People won't just flock to another platform just because of a glitch/missing feature/outage or anything. I know that, because most cannot afford it if they're already in piles of debt, or locked in a term, or plainly don't have enough cash.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 08:16 PM
    Most "unimpressed iOS5 users" will not return to Blackberry, they will look at Android, which is far superior IMO to Apple.

Last edited by Frosty_Power; 10-12-11 at 11:29 PM.
    HD123 and K Bear like this.
    10-12-11 08:42 PM
    The iPhone has massive satisfactory rates that Android and BB could only wish to accomplish. The real question is how many people that bought a 9900 or Android wish they would have bought the iPhone 4S. I know two of them, so there must be many others.

10-12-11 08:49 PM
    I agree, majority of iPhone users who are unhappy with the current offering would flock to Android over BB. ..some would trickle down to BB.

Root, you are way off base due to the fact a lot of people buy into the smartphone wars and may have an upgrade coming.

I agree most people who are locked into a Contract will stay and well people that don't have a lot of money aren't sitting there contemplating a new smartphone. ...pretty much common sense there no?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.
    10-12-11 08:51 PM
    The iPhone has massive satisfactory rates that Android and BB could only wish to accomplish. The real question is how many people that bought a 9900 or Android wish they would have bought the iPhone 4S. I know two of them, so there must be many others.

Why is it the iPhone users are always so arrogant in their postings? It truely is a cult like following. .....

How long ago has it been since Android passed you in marketshare again?

And don't give me this ish about how the iPhone is only on two carriers. People that truely want an iPhone would switch. I know a few who did and wish they didn't.

Omg I knows peeps too!

10-12-11 08:57 PM
    I don't think that's a reason for going back to blackberry or switching to it... And with the outage.. They would hardly do it

I still like the iphone, been switching between both, but now I'll stay with blackberry. I have an ipad, so I have/do what I like from an iphone and still have the great feeling/satisfaction of smartphone that blackberry gives us.

Or an itouch if you think the ipad is not portable as the iphone for its size.
    Last edited by Giancarlobc; 10-12-11 at 09:02 PM.
    10-12-11 08:57 PM
    RIM caught a lot of flack for releasing the Playbook with missing features... Apple gets very little press when problems happen for iOS upgrades.iOS 5 Launch Becomes Update Disaster - Mobility - Smartphones - Informationweek

Maybe overshadowed by the RIM outage?? Or the media just hates bad talking Apple.
    10-12-11 09:07 PM
    Why is it the iPhone users are always so arrogant in their postings? It truely is a cult like following. .....
    Two words for that statement, Pot Kettle! I made the switch and it was not easy. I was looking for a reason to get another BB and it wasnt there. The email thing we hold onto is just not reality. Is the BB more secure ? i guess but i still get my emails within minutes if not sooner on my iPhone . The iPhone just works. The news today about shareholders and investors wanting to split BB and dump the two idiots at the wheel coupled with the stock price is bad news and they just dont seem to be able to do the right thing. What are they waiting for in Ontario? A sign from God.
    K Bear likes this.
    10-12-11 09:11 PM
    All he said was that the iPhone has high customer satisfaction ratings, which is factual, and that he knew a couple people with regrets, which might be true also.

How long ago has it been since Android passed you in marketshare again?
    But if you make the market share argument, where does that leave RIM?

And don't give me this ish about how the iPhone is only on two carriers. People that truely want an iPhone would switch. I know a few who did and wish they didn't.
    So your experience is different than his, but that doesn't make either of you arrogant.
    moiselles likes this.
    10-12-11 09:16 PM
    Why is it the iPhone users are always so arrogant in their postings?
    I don't know, why don't you enlighten me? I am a BB user. Not a happy one right now, because I don't have email.
    10-12-11 09:45 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD