Just wondering. Because if i'm using GPS and switch to the "traffic" option in the menu, it will tell me if there is traffic due to an accident. But will it say there is a checkpoint? I doubt it. Would be handy though. Be safe!
    12-31-08 08:03 AM
    I don't know of any such apps available for BB
    12-31-08 10:13 AM
    Just wondering. Because if i'm using GPS and switch to the "traffic" option in the menu, it will tell me if there is traffic due to an accident. But will it say there is a checkpoint? I doubt it. Would be handy though. Be safe!
    no, but is this kinda what your looking for?
    Trapster - Speed Trap Sharing System
    12-31-08 10:17 AM
    I would highly doubt that any GPS software would update you as to the location of checkpoints. Checkpoints are done jurisdiction by jurisdiction and not always in the same place. My GPS software SprintNav does say from time to time checking traffic, but that's about it.

12-31-08 10:17 AM
    no, but is this kinda what your looking for?
    Trapster - Speed Trap Sharing System

go figure. it doesnt list a price for the service.
    12-31-08 11:35 AM
    not sure how or why it would be handy, as they are done for everyones safety. but unless the checkpoint had some kind of gps device that was broadcasting the location, i doubt anything would pick it up. checkpoints are by nature designed to be mobile, so they wouldnt be at any given location long enough to make it worth while (the department conducting) to add any form of gps to them.
    12-31-08 11:39 AM
    go figure. it doesnt list a price for the service.
    Its FREE! Go FIGURE!
    12-31-08 11:48 AM
    not sure how or why it would be handy, as they are done for everyones safety. but unless the checkpoint had some kind of gps device that was broadcasting the location, i doubt anything would pick it up. checkpoints are by nature designed to be mobile, so they wouldnt be at any given location long enough to make it worth while (the department conducting) to add any form of gps to them.
    A lot of the ones in the Phoenix are not mobile. They are cemented in the ground and permanent.
    12-31-08 12:15 PM
    yeah, Trapster is the closest thing to it that I've found..

plus if a spot's not listed and they frequently set up there, you can add it as a "frequent hiding spot" or something of the like..

best free app ever...
    12-31-08 02:01 PM
    A lot of the ones in the Phoenix are not mobile. They are cemented in the ground and permanent.
    those are more immigration type though arent they?
    12-31-08 02:20 PM
    FoxyTag is free and I have a half working version that does work on a storm, waiting for them to give me the go ahead and make it use their live database :/
    12-31-08 07:25 PM
    get trapster works on my storm
    12-31-08 08:18 PM
    Well, how are traffic jams reported on the devices? A traffic stop would cause somewhat of a traffic jam, just like an accident. So I would think they would be reported just like an accident.

Michael
    01-01-09 11:28 AM
    Geez, I installed trapster but they just kept wanting more info phone # etc.,

I found the whole sign-up process a pain and about half-way through decided it would be easier to just pay the ticket.
    Last edited by Marine One; 01-02-09 at 08:56 PM.
    01-02-09 08:53 PM
    Trapster works great and it allows you to update locations as you find them.

You can run it in the background too and it will still alert you to a hiding spot.
    01-05-09 08:15 AM
    Trapster works great and it allows you to update locations as you find them.

You can run it in the background too and it will still alert you to a hiding spot.
    Who cares about a hiding spot if nobody is currently hiding there?

The whole point is to be able to go over the speed limit, but if you have to keep slowing down at every hiding spot, what is the point?

Alert>>>hit brake>>>>nobody there>>>>crap

Just like a radar detector only worse because it's alerting you and not detecting anything.
    Last edited by Marine One; 01-05-09 at 05:13 PM.
    01-05-09 05:11 PM
    Who cares about a hiding spot if nobody is currently hiding there?

The whole point is to be able to go over the speed limit, but if you have to keep slowing down at every hiding spot, what is the point?

Just like a radar detector only worse because it's alerting you and not detecting anything.
    Simple answer, don't use it if you don't like it. I understand your point, but it's still good for what it is.

It's much cheaper then using a radar detector (it's free).
    01-06-09 10:57 AM
    Simple answer, don't use it if you don't like it. I understand your point, but it's still good for what it is.

It's much cheaper then using a radar detector (it's free).
    The only way it would be useful to me is on a cross-country drive etc..

I know all the hiding spots in the city I live in. In Tennessee for example they run lots of traps so I could see myself using it for the purpose of getting through some states on the way some where.

And yeah it's free and I give credit for that. I just don't see much practicality.

Then again if it saves one person from a ticket I guess it did it's job.
    01-06-09 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD