I’m no engineer, but that has to date the components to early LTE days....
    And don't forget, one of the 4 Z10 models (the STL100-1) didn't even have LTE. It was intended for a market that hadn't yet fully transitioned to LTE when it came out.

Of course, the delay in BB10 release meant that those markets were just getting LTE, and a new phone was coming from BlackBerry that didn't support it.
    01-05-19 02:06 PM
    This is what I’ve never fully understood. In a BBOS device, the BB symbol represented my BIS data up and running and connected to BIS servers for email. In a BB10 device, since data is from carrier, what does the BB symbol represent and when not present NOW, what is down or not functioning?
    Where is all the alarmism on this site coming from?!? Take note of the following from John Chen published in December of 2017:

Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry

From the article dated Dec 2017:

"Third, we want to reward your loyalty by committing to providing you with at least two full years of additional support for BB10 and at least two full years of BlackBerry network access for BBOS devices."

AT LEAST TWO FULL YEARS OF SUPPORT -- that means at least until the end of this year (2019). The BlackBerry symbol in the top corner of the screen means access to the BlackBerry network (including BIS) and BlackBerry stuff like BBM. BlackBerry 10 continues to work and will continue to work, and even older devices on BIS will continue to work.
    01-05-19 05:45 PM
    That's awesome of BlackBerry. They don't have to do that - they could be like apple and deliberately make your old phone suck by slowing it down, etc. Overtures like this are one of many reasons BlackBerry has such a cult following... but it makes me more excited to upgrade to a new BlackBerry.
    01-05-19 05:59 PM
    Where is all the alarmism on this site coming from?!? Take note of the following from John Chen published in December of 2017:

Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry

"Third, we want to reward your loyalty by committing to providing you with at least two full years of additional support for BB10 and at least two full years of BlackBerry network access for BBOS devices."

AT LEAST TWO FULL YEARS OF SUPPORT -- that means at least until the end of this year (2019). The BlackBerry symbol in the top corner of the screen means access to the BlackBerry network (including BIS) and BlackBerry stuff like BBM. BlackBerry 10 continues to work and will continue to work, and even older devices on BIS will continue to work.
    There's two sides of the equation. BlackBerry can offer support, however, if carriers remove support there's nothing BlackBerry can do. That more so relates to BBOS, but it doesn't change the fact support can go missing. Unless you consider BlackBerry telling you your carrier no longer supports their services as support from BlackBerry. I'd be remiss if I also didn't point out the discrepencies in that post.

1) It says two full years of support but their own BlackBerry Lifecycle page shows April 2018 for EOL of BBOS. - https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/sup...ort-life-cycle
    2) They also noted in that same post the BlackBerry Trade-Up Program which never came to fruition outside of one region, which has been a point of contention for many.

In the end, it doesn't really matter how you look at it. The services and support are going to continue to drop. If you wish to continue using them, that's fine, ride it out, use it to the fullest, it's well within your right. But things will continue to stop working and will continue to break down. It's a fact.

One must also consider what BlackBerry considers support and End Of Life.

END OF DEVELOPMENT

The date as of which BlackBerry will no longer provide fixes, updates, or security patches for the specified version of software. Technical Support will attempt to exhaust all options to provide a product resolution, but resolution cannot be guaranteed.

END OF LIFE

- The product will no longer be supported by BlackBerry
    - There will be no new versions of software
    - No software patches, security fixes or workarounds will be generated to resolve any product issues
    - BlackBerry Technical Support will no longer accept or troubleshoot issues directly related to the OS or application
    End of development for BlackBerry 10 took place in August 2018. You get nothing at this point other than a person on the phone trying to exhaust all possible fixes. If it can't be fixed, it can't be fixed. That's it. End of story. I don't know many folks who would consider a product that does less now than when they bought it a 'supported' product.
    01-05-19 05:59 PM

What alarmism? I’m asking what the BB symbol represents on my BB10 phone screen because the BB symbol represents connected to BIS data on my BBOS phone screen. I was curious what BB services it represents in 2019 from curiosity standpoint... I’m familiar with 12/31/2019 EOL date for both OS previously announced.
    01-05-19 06:03 PM
    1) It says two full years of support but their own BlackBerry Lifecycle page shows April 2018 for EOL of BBOS. - https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/sup...ort-life-cycle
    Yes, that is disheartening, but it also displays, "Note: these dates are subject to change without notice" prominently on that page. I remain hopeful.
    01-05-19 06:14 PM
    Yes, that is disheartening, but it also displays, "Note: these dates are subject to change without notice" prominently on that page. I remain hopeful.
    I mean, they had over a year to correct those dates.. since that Dec 2017 post. If they were inaccurate, you would think someone would change them in over a year for the sake of accuracy. It would take someone with the access a grand total of 3 mins to update it and that applies without even mentioning someone had the wherewithall to add December 2019 as the EOL date for 10.3.x which aligns with that post.
    01-05-19 06:15 PM
    What alarmism? I’m asking what the BB symbol represents on my BB10 phone screen because the BB symbol represents connected to BIS data on my BBOS phone screen. I was curious what BB services it represents in 2019 from curiosity standpoint... I’m familiar with 12/31/2019 EOL date for both OS previously announced.
    I understand you were merely asking; I meant alarmism in general. Yes, it's true BB10 does not need BlackBerry network access for BIS -- it doesn't use BIS -- but it might need BlackBerry network access for other things. I've noticed things don't work properly if the BlackBerry symbol isn't there. Does it have to be there for BBM to work on BB10? I think it does. Maybe BBM still goes through the BlackBerry network when it comes to BB10. What about phoning home to verify the device (security) and for Password Keeper BlackBerry cloud backups? I would imagine the BlackBerry symbol would still have to be there at least for BB10 users like me. (I have no idea as far as BlackBerry Android is concerned.)
    01-05-19 06:19 PM
    I understand you were merely asking; I meant alarmism in general. Yes, it's true BB10 does not need BlackBerry network access for BIS -- it doesn't use BIS -- but it might need BlackBerry network access for other things. I've noticed things don't work properly if the BlackBerry symbol isn't there. Does it have to be there for BBM to work on BB10? I think it does. Maybe BBM still goes through the BlackBerry network when it comes to BB10. What about phoning home to verify the device (security) and for Password Keeper BlackBerry cloud backups? I would imagine the BlackBerry symbol would still have to be there at least for BB10 users like me. (I have no idea as far as BlackBerry Android is concerned.)
    I kick a lot of hornets nests everyday. Didn’t see the wasp nest under toilet seat and it startled me.... LOL
    TheAuthority likes this.
    01-05-19 06:23 PM
    I'm still watching UHF TV live, bounced off a nearby star. Watching the Joy of Painting on PBS from 1976.
    gebco and anon(5597702) like this.
    01-05-19 10:25 PM
    I'm still watching UHF TV live, bounced off a nearby star. Watching the Joy of Painting on PBS from 1976.
    I thought you lived in Transcona. Ain't no TV signal reach to those boonies. 😋
    01-06-19 01:00 AM
    WI-FI, CARRIER DATA will continue to function regardless. What makes you think manufacturers would stop you from the ability of using data, wifi or bluetooth!? That will NEVER HAPPEN IN A BILLION YEARS!!!

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    01-06-19 01:21 AM
    5G is not here still...and 3G is not going to be discontinued tomorrow...stop spread alarmism!

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. "Carriers are constantly moving forward" is a bit of an exaggeration.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-06-19 09:41 AM
    <stupid other thread didn't show post, so edited out>
    01-07-19 08:12 AM
39 12