blackberry os 10
    01-04-19 02:22 PM
    I highly doubt anything BlackBerry does is going to remove that core function. That would be a MASSIVE failure and risk to the public still using those devices.
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-04-19 03:07 PM
    WiFi will work for the foreseeable future, but as for mobile data, the big issue there is carriers, not BB. Carriers are constantly moving forward, which means discontinuing old services (like 2G and 3G networks and phone calls) and refarming those frequency bands for other uses (such as LTE and 5G). Sooner or later, changes by your carrier will prevent your phone from making calls or getting a data connection - that's inevitable. I have a box with 8 or 9 phones in it that are all obsolete due to carrier networking changes.
    01-04-19 04:31 PM
    I have a box with 8 or 9 phones in it that are all obsolete due to carrier networking changes.
    You mean those TDMA phones no longer work? Craziness.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    01-04-19 04:42 PM
    Well, it's Jan 4 and I am reading this and typing this response on a Classic running BlackBerry 10. Besides the fact most of the apps are gone from the store, my main problem is sometimes Web sites are not compatible with my browser.
    It's hard to believe this BlackBerry Classic has held up so well all these years. I've never seen a phone come close in longevity. Still looks new. Awesome phone, an old friend.
    I plan to update to Keyone later this month.
    01-04-19 05:54 PM
    Well, it's Jan 4 and I am reading this and typing this response on a Classic running BlackBerry 10. Besides the fact most of the apps are gone from the store, my main problem is sometimes Web sites are not compatible with my browser.
    It's hard to believe this BlackBerry Classic has held up so well all these years. I've never seen a phone come close in longevity. Still looks new. Awesome phone, an old friend.
    I'm still using a Leap. Aside from a decent sized crack in the upper left hand corner of the screen it runs smooth and the battery still seems pretty good. It's a really well made device.

I'm personally not too sold on the Android variant of BlackBerry. Too pricey compared other phones of similar ability. When this phone finally gives up I'll probably end up with a One Plus. Gonna be hard going back to Android because I've found BB10 to be great.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-19 09:06 PM
    Will there be no internet connection on my bb 10 after 2018?

blackberry os 10
    Direct answer to your question - no... you will still have internet after 2018. And it's after 2018 now.

What is shutting down are some of BlackBerry's back-end services after 2019. Still (almost) a year away.

BIS is shutting down for sure (only affecting OS 7 and older - no affect on BB10). And, BBW is shutting down. We don't have definitive word on any other services yet, like BBID or Protect.

But, direct mobile carrier connection should still work, and wi-fi would still work.
    01-04-19 11:41 PM
    I'm under the impression that as soon as that little BlackBerry symbol in top right corner of screen goes out the phone is done.
    No Wifi connection, no data or carrier connection.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-19 12:13 AM
    I'm under the impression that as soon as that little BlackBerry symbol in top right corner of screen goes out the phone is done.
    No Wifi connection, no data or carrier connection.

Posted via CB10
    Not for BB10. That's part of the back-end services that we don't know the full story on. The symbol was more important to the operation of the phone as a whole for BBOS 7 and older - relying on BIS, but BB10 is not as dependent on that connection.

In fact, even with the old BBOS phones that used BIS, wi-fi and carrier cellular connection would still work without BIS. Should be the same with BB10, even carrier mobile data should still work without the back-end connection.

BBID and BlackBerry Protect are the question marks in the equation.
    01-05-19 12:48 AM
    WiFi will work for the foreseeable future, but as for mobile data, the big issue there is carriers, not BB. Carriers are constantly moving forward, which means discontinuing old services (like 2G and 3G networks and phone calls) and refarming those frequency bands for other uses (such as LTE and 5G). Sooner or later, changes by your carrier will prevent your phone from making calls or getting a data connection - that's inevitable. I have a box with 8 or 9 phones in it that are all obsolete due to carrier networking changes.
    5G is not here still...and 3G is not going to be discontinued tomorrow...stop spread alarmism!

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-05-19 05:15 AM
    I use both with VPN. I feel more secured in privacy on the BB10s.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-05-19 05:50 AM
    I thought BlackBerry had discontinued updates, etc already. I thought I read something about this maybe last summer when they let the BlackBerry 10 app store go to seed. I was surprised that it still functions.
    01-05-19 06:00 AM
    Not for BB10. That's part of the back-end services that we don't know the full story on. The symbol was more important to the operation of the phone as a whole for BBOS 7 and older - relying on BIS, but BB10 is not as dependent on that connection.

In fact, even with the old BBOS phones that used BIS, wi-fi and carrier cellular connection would still work without BIS. Should be the same with BB10, even carrier mobile data should still work without the back-end connection.

BBID and BlackBerry Protect are the question marks in the equation.
    This is what I’ve never fully understood. In a BBOS device, the BB symbol represented my BIS data up and running and connected to BIS servers for email. In a BB10 device, since data is from carrier, what does the BB symbol represent and when not present NOW, what is down or not functioning?
    01-05-19 06:51 AM
    This is what I’ve never fully understood. In a BBOS device, the BB symbol represented my BIS data up and running and connected to BIS servers for email. In a BB10 device, since data is from carrier, what does the BB symbol represent and when not present NOW, what is down or not functioning?
    You are connected to your BlackBerry ID, that means BlackBerry Blend, BlackBerry Protect (find your device), BlackBerry World and you can login to BlackBerry 10 BBM. BlackBerry Link is down in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-05-19 07:10 AM
    You are connected to your BlackBerry ID, that means BlackBerry Blend, BlackBerry Protect (find your device), BlackBerry World and you can login to BlackBerry 10 BBM. BlackBerry Link is down in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    So BB10 users lose Blend, Protect and the App Store after this year. Device will function as some have said as long as device isn’t wiped.
    01-05-19 08:22 AM
    So BB10 users lose Blend, Protect and the App Store after this year. Device will function as some have said as long as device isn’t wiped.
    I don't think they will stop to work after being wiped.... Anyway it will be interesting if Bla1ze could ask officially somebody on BB....
    01-05-19 11:09 AM
    I don't think they will stop to work after being wiped.... Anyway it will be interesting if Bla1ze could ask officially somebody on BB....
    There is no one left at BB10 that would care.
    01-05-19 11:11 AM
    There is no one left at BB10 that would care.
    Well as you can see from the critics Bla1ze got....still some people care. And if you do not care....who cares?
    01-05-19 11:14 AM
    Well as you can see from the critics Bla1ze got....still some people care. And if you do not care....who cares?
    He means at BB10 development @ BB the company. Pretty much everybody in BB10 developers was laid off long ago. The reality is that nobody even at BB can be really certain. Which goes back to comment that BB10 person at BB really doesn’t care. It’s like a ghost ship.....
    01-05-19 11:28 AM
    5G is not here still...and 3G is not going to be discontinued tomorrow...stop spread alarmism!
    I'm not sure I said "it will stop working tomorrow". LOL. But Verizon is turning off CDMA sometime this year, which means that phones that aren't supported for VoLTE on Verizon won't be able to make phone calls. That kills every BBOS phone (not BB10) on Verizon.

AT&T will support GSM calling through at least 2020, but GSM calling is still on the way out, and AT&T has been restricting phones from using VoLTE too, in an effort to get people to upgrade to modern devices (and it affects lots of phone brands/models, not just BB).

T-Mobile is buying Sprint is almost certainly going to result in some band refarming and people with older Sprint devices are going to be forced to get a new device.

So, changes are coming, as they always do. Carriers aren't making these changes to hurt BB - they're making them to move their businesses forward, and a ton of older devices will be affected. Hell, almost everyone with a feature phone will be forced to upgrade (if only to a new LTE-only feature phone) in the next year or two.

This is one of many reasons why manufacturers don't worry much about older devices - it's widely understood that an older device can't count on support from the carrier anyway.
    01-05-19 11:58 AM
    Enough to matter?
    cribble2k likes this.
    01-05-19 12:08 PM
    I'm not sure I said "it will stop working tomorrow". LOL. But Verizon is turning off CDMA sometime this year, which means that phones that aren't supported for VoLTE on Verizon won't be able to make phone calls. That kills every BBOS phone (not BB10) on Verizon.

AT&T will support GSM calling through at least 2020, but GSM calling is still on the way out, and AT&T has been restricting phones from using VoLTE too, in an effort to get people to upgrade to modern devices (and it affects lots of phone brands/models, not just BB).

T-Mobile is buying Sprint is almost certainly going to result in some band refarming and people with older Sprint devices are going to be forced to get a new device.

So, changes are coming, as they always do. Carriers aren't making these changes to hurt BB - they're making them to move their businesses forward, and a ton of older devices will be affected. Hell, almost everyone with a feature phone will be forced to upgrade (if only to a new LTE-only feature phone) in the next year or two.

This is one of many reasons why manufacturers don't worry much about older devices - it's widely understood that an older device can't count on support from the carrier anyway.
    You are assuming everybody is living in the US.... Don't forget some people have more than one phone...a newer one and an old one...
    01-05-19 12:14 PM
    You are assuming everybody is living in the US.... Don't forget some people have more than one phone...a newer one and an old one...
    So Europe/Asia cancelled 5G ? Pretty sure technology goes obsolete everywhere unless you’re suggesting that Europe/Asia doesn’t keep up. I also have box of phones that power on, but only connect via the WiFi if existing on the phone.
    01-05-19 12:22 PM
    So Europe/Asia cancelled 5G ? Pretty sure technology goes obsolete everywhere unless you’re suggesting that Europe/Asia doesn’t keep up. I also have box of phones that power on, but only connect via the WiFi if existing on the phone.
    No...they did not cancelled...but what I quoted first from Troy was something else.... he was reporting the news that sounded like something is going to happen next months.... Then in Europe we do not have these problematic and funny providers...
    01-05-19 12:41 PM
    No...they did not cancelled...but what I quoted first from Troy was something else.... he was reporting the news that sounded like something is going to happen next months.... Then in Europe we do not have these problematic and funny providers...
    Here in USA, CDMA and GSM will eventually disappear sooner than later. There, GSM will disappear same as here as LTE continues to expand with 5G like here. Regardless, all BB10 devices are hardware component-wise, stuck in 2012-2014 with Passport 2014-2015 since all were produced then. Carriers everywhere, have been cooperating with all OEM since 2016-2017 on LTE and 5G enhancements. BB10 products have not been part of those enhancement conversations, anywhere... we can discuss software all day long, but hardware is something, I think everyone forgets, BB was selling from the same 2012-2015 pile of components. If memory serves, BB10 itself lost year since it was supposed to rollout end of 2011 - beginning of 2012, but was severely delayed.
    I’m no engineer, but that has to date the components to early LTE days....
    01-05-19 12:56 PM
39 12