by Don Reisinger January 10, 2012 7:48 AM PST

For years, analysts have debated whether tablets will eventually replace laptops. Turns out that consumers largely believe they will--and the elderly are far more convinced of that fact than whippersnappers.

Polling company Poll Position, which surveyed 1,155 registered American voters last week, found that 46 percent of respondents believe tablets will eventually replace laptops. About 35 percent of those folks say that devices like Apple's iPad or the Amazon Kindle Fire won't replace notebooks. Nearly 20 percent of respondents had no opinion on the matter.

Although it's generally believed young people will drive the adoption of tablets, Poll Position's findings suggest that older people are more in love with their slates. Among those aged 18 to 29, nearly 49 percent expressed doubt that tablets can replace notebooks. That figure drops to just 37 percent among 30-to-44-year-olds and 30 percent for adults between the ages of 45 and 64. Only a quarter of the 65-and-over crowd doubt that tablets will reign supreme.

Men are more confident than women that tablets will replace notebooks, with 53 percent of males saying it'll happen, compared to 39 percent of females. In addition, Poll Position found that one-quarter of women have no opinion on the matter, compared to just 13 percent of men.

As tablet shipments soar, notebooks take a hit, research finds Yes, tablets are hurting PC sales...kind of

Tablet shipments jump 304 percent in second quarter.

Research analysts, however, beg to differ.

Just last week, research firm NPD DisplaySearch reported that 72.7 million tablets hit store shelves last year. That figure was easily overshadowed by notebook shipments, which rose to 187.5 million units. More germane to this subject, NPD DisplaySearch also predicted that by 2017, tablet shipments will jump to 383.3 million, at which point they will still trail notebook shipments, which the firm expects to hit 432 million units that year.
    Similarly, last year Gartner found that after a notebook owner bought a tablet, 77 percent of them used their PCs less frequently. The important takeaway, though, is that they didn't stop using their notebooks altogether.

Actual Article:

Will tablets eventually replace laptops? | The Digital Home - CNET News
    01-10-12 12:13 PM
    Tablets will not replace laptops until the ability to create content on tablets becomes more robust.

Currently, tablets are great for content consumption; however, laptops are required for intensive content creation.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-10-12 12:27 PM
    Tablets will not replace laptops until the ability to create content on tablets becomes more robust.

Currently, tablets are great for content consumption; however, laptops are required for intensive content creation.
    What do you mean by 'intensive'?
    01-10-12 12:42 PM
    What do you mean by 'intensive'?
    Try creating an Excel spreadsheet with complex formulas, embedding an Excel spreadsheet into a Word document, or maintaining an Access database on a tablet.
    01-10-12 12:44 PM
    Try creating an Excel spreadsheet with complex formulas, embedding an Excel spreadsheet into a Word document, or maintaining an Access database on a tablet.
    Hmm... I have not tried. But understand what you're saying.

However, I would like to mention that there are other uses where a stand alone tablet could make the PC obsolete.

Using the iPad(any iteration will do) I know that artists are saying they use it exclusively for what they do.

I fact, two films at Sundance this year were written and edited using the iPad2 and the Director says some of the less intrusive scenes were shot using the camera on the iPhone4s.

Now, does this replace the PC? No way. But maybe, in the near future, tablets will reign in one particular segment of the market(maybe the "creative/artistic" sector and maybe other sectors(like business) will prefer to use PCs.
    01-10-12 12:58 PM
    Tablets will also be more useful for content creation once more data is moved to the cloud and is not stored on local machines.
    01-10-12 01:07 PM
    Both will have their place in consumers homes and the enterprise. Just like laptops have not completely replaced desktops. Ultimately it will come down to what the users requirements are. If they can be as productive with a tablet, as they can with a laptop, then why not give them a tablet?
    01-10-12 01:43 PM
    Both will have their place in consumers homes and the enterprise. Just like laptops have not completely replaced desktops. Ultimately it will come down to what the users requirements are. If they can be as productive with a tablet, as they can with a laptop, then why not give them a tablet?
    I haven't had a desktop in 4 years. And, like the article mentioned, I use only use my laptop roughly 20% of the time.
    01-10-12 01:46 PM
    My laptop has essentially become a netflix streaming machine lol. Everything else I do on my Android phone, as has been the case for the last 18 or so months. And I'm sure once I get my Playbook I'll use that more than my lappie as well. Will I give up my lappie anytime soon? Probably not. Then again, as recent as a couple months ago I said I wasn't in the market for a tablet...

Edited to add: I do use my lappie when I have extensive research and word processing to do, as was the case about a week ago when I took my laptop to do some program and grant research for work. If I have that same functionality with the Playbook, look out lappie!
    01-10-12 02:34 PM
    I think there will eventually be a blurring of the two. Tablets will have docks to give you the extra power and functionality. Laptops will be touch-screen and the screen will be detachable.

My PlayBook has replaced my laptop on every trip since I got it, but I didn't put my laptop away at home. When I'm there, I use them both, sometimes simultaneously. But I also take the tablet many places that I wouldn't bring the laptop and would have previously just done without any electronics/internet or just used my phone.

It's just another option, and an awesome one, too.
    01-10-12 03:13 PM
    My laptop has essentially become a netflix streaming machine lol. Everything else I do on my Android phone, as has been the case for the last 18 or so months. And I'm sure once I get my Playbook I'll use that more than my lappie as well. Will I give up my lappie anytime soon? Probably not. Then again, as recent as a couple months ago I said I wasn't in the market for a tablet...

Edited to add: I do use my lappie when I have extensive research and word processing to do, as was the case about a week ago when I took my laptop to do some program and grant research for work. If I have that same functionality with the Playbook, look out lappie!
    I'm a writer. Primarily, all I need is a app that allows me to write.

Apple has always catered to the arts in a way. Which is why most folks I know use Macs. Before, I had to lug a 17' MacBook around. Mostly to Starbucks or any coffee shop/bar that had a free seat and an available outlet. The Mac hasn't left the apt since before the holidays started.

Now, if they make a one device that I can work off from AND make calls at the same time I'd be all over it!

Oh yeah! And it must stream Netflix as well. I'm a LOST junkie and will watch it's reruns 'til the Aliens land... If they haven't already...
    01-10-12 03:14 PM
    I don't use my laptop much or really my desktop all that much, however for typing out long emails and or doing heavy browsing, then better believe I am on one of the other. Now relaxing on the couch or moving out and about, then my Fire or Android phone gets most the work. I seldom even take the laptop with me anymore.

With that said I don't see them being non-existent. I think each device has a purpose.
    01-10-12 03:33 PM
    People get so tied down to form factors that they lose sight of the most important thing: what's the best tool to get the job done?

I think Steve Jobs was right about the "Post-PC" age; I suspect we'll start seeing a decline in sales of traditional desktops and laptops soon. Why? Because for what most people NEED, an ultrabook or a well-equipped tablet will do the job nicely.

Tabs have to get better. It needs to get easier for users to pass documents back and forth (NFC will help here, and-or more sophisticated ad hoc networking). There WILL be docking solutions to allow for keyboards, larger displays, and greater mass-storage access. I think the whole notion of the home server will start to emerge in the next couple of years; why carry all your material around ALL the time?

Professionals will continue to need more power and better display capabilities; the PC will still be around for them. But they'll get more expensive; the PC manufacturers won't have the economies of scale anymore and the components will get pricier as a result.

But, honestly, most of us won't care.
    01-10-12 03:45 PM
    Whats a "laptop"......oh that thing in the corner Yes tablets will replace laptops....its called evolution
    01-10-12 03:50 PM
    I don't think tablets will ever completely replace laptops or desktops. Although I'm seeing a lot of people around here who seem to want their phones to. Call me a relic, but there are things I much prefer to do with a large display, a full keyboard and a mouse (i. e., my desktop Mac). There are some things I don't mind doing on a tablet, only because it's more convenient and portable than a laptop, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to have to do everything on it. And then there is my phone. Anything it can do beyond making calls and sending texts is nothing more than a convenience to me. Granted they are nice conveniences, but my life surely would not end if I had to revert to a mobile phone that only makes phone calls, any more than the disaster my life isn't because my tablet (or any other tablet) can't do everything my home computer can do.
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    01-10-12 04:04 PM
    Not to be a historian ......but didn't it all start with smoke signals, and they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread........once again .....its called evolution
    01-10-12 04:13 PM
    People get so tied down to form factors that they lose sight of the most important thing: what's the best tool to get the job done?

I think Steve Jobs was right about the "Post-PC" age;

Jobs was right about a great many things. The world lost a visionary. Don't care how any one else feels about it.

It needs to get easier for users to pass documents back and forth
    Google Docs is a great application for this. Use it on my laptop, droid and iPad. Haven't figured out how to use on my PB yet.

Professionals will continue to need more power and better display capabilities; the PC will still be around for them. But they'll get more expensive; the PC manufacturers won't have the economies of scale anymore and the components will get pricier as a result.

But, honestly, most of us won't care.
    I think as voice recognition, A.I. and intuitive tech evolves, the devices we use ten years from now may not anything like they do today.

That's if the World doesn't end on Dec 21 of this year and we end up starting all over again...
    01-10-12 04:17 PM
    I think they will replace laptops as they become more powerful

I like having a powerful desktop at home and a tablet for mobility.

And I could never get use to the tiny trackpad in laptops.

With cloud computing tablets are simply nicer to use, in my opinion
    01-10-12 04:20 PM
    Not to be a historian ......but didn't it all start with smoke signals, and they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread........once again .....its called evolution
    And consider this. What we have is consumer tech. Think about what the military has and has been using for years.

Maybe they giggle silently when we debate about tablets and "new" platforms and applications that they've had access to for the past decade.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-10-12 04:22 PM
    And consider this. What we have is consumer tech. Think about what the military has and has been using for years.

Maybe they giggle silently when we debate about tablets and "new" platforms and applications that they've had access to for the past decade.
    Say it ain't so......say it ain't so.......NOT,...... you're absolutely right
    01-10-12 04:28 PM
    I'd never give up my laptop for a tablet.
    01-10-12 08:33 PM
    Are you sure? A lot of advancements could come up between now and never...
    01-10-12 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD