I have a quick question. I have the service place with sprint. Is there anyway that sprint would know I dropped it in the water? I am think I can just go in tell them it stopped working and get a replacement phone.

Thanks for your help!
    06-03-09 10:52 AM
    Yes they will know.
    06-03-09 10:53 AM
    Yes, there is a moisture strip under the battery bay. Once it gets wet it changes so the tech will know that it was once submerged.
    06-03-09 10:54 AM
    Yeah dude they'll know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 11:36 AM
    There is also a moisture sensor hidden inside of the phone.
    06-03-09 11:41 AM
    You know it's people like you(OP) that ruin the warrenty program, as a rep I think it's funny that you're trying to pull a fast one on the store you shop from.
    06-03-09 11:44 AM
    yeah they will know, that's the first thing they look at. now if you have the insurance plan on your account, then just pay the deductable and get it replaced that way. cuz if i was the tech looking at your phone i would just hand it back and laugh..... then walk away. it's not cool to do that with the store you shop at or even pay your bill at...... always think before you do, it will save you the head ache and dignitty at the store.
    06-03-09 11:58 AM
    lol...seriously? do you really think an expert with the technology wouldn't be able to notice water damage? even without the indicators it would be painfully obvious.
    06-03-09 12:07 PM
    A number of jerkish comments above. He never said he was going to dump it in water on purpose. It was likely an accident and a very reasonable question to ask if you have a warrenty and want to know if that will keep you from replacing the phone. If I accidently dropped my phone in the toilet or something and was paying for insurance, then I would want to state something else to try and it get it replaced as well.

No need to get on somebodies case for trying to use a service he is paying for.

06-03-09 12:14 PM
    See this with laptops all the time. The user, when asked, always says they've never spilled anything on it - only to open it up and find half a can of dried Coke, fruit punch, etc.... (rolls eyes).

Understand that competent techs will usually always be able to ascertain what happened to the device - regardless of whatever story you might choose to use.

Why not simply be honest about what happened? In the end you'll come away looking like much less of a fool for something that happened accidently than for making up a bogus story.
    06-03-09 12:15 PM
    If I accidently dropped my phone in the toilet or something and was paying for insurance, then I would want to state something else to try and it get it replaced as well.

If you have the insurance there's no reason to be dishonest about what happened to the phone. Sprints TEP covers everything including water damage.
    06-03-09 12:20 PM
    ahh ys
    there is a strip sticker thingy on the BB ...on the battery or phone etc etc! it changes colors!
    06-03-09 01:22 PM
    Or, in my case awhile back, the store person says I'm not covered because of water damage and I had never gotten it wet. It was a Chocolate slider phone that slid apart and separated into 2 pieces and they told me to get lost. I sneakily got out of my contract and that was the end of that tune. No more money for you guys!
    06-03-09 01:42 PM
    I have a quick question. I have the service place with sprint. Is there anyway that sprint would know I dropped it in the water? I am think I can just go in tell them it stopped working and get a replacement phone.

Thanks for your help!
    What do you mean you have a service place with Sprint? Do you mean you have the phone replacement warranty? Or do you mean your phone's service is through Sprint?
    If you dunked your phone without having the replacement warranty you screwed up twice.
    Play fair, eh? What goes around comes around eventually...
    06-03-09 04:45 PM
    Newt, not saying this is a huge issue but I was just wondering when you took him the phone was it in 2 pieces? I am glad you got it figured out either way but it just seems really odd that they would claim water damage to a phone that had been broken in half (in your case slid apart into 2 pieces).
    06-03-09 04:46 PM
    yeah, just pay the fifty dollars.
    06-03-09 04:49 PM
    As everyone has said before they will notice. I just got my new Berry from ATT today due to an unfortunate incident with a cup of water next to my bed and waking up and it being in the cup....Insurance process is easy and painless. Just might have to tell them your're phone number and last 4 or your SSN about 10 times.
    06-03-09 11:04 PM
    Thanks for all your help. I am not trying to ditch my phone. I was on our boat this weeknd and had to jump in the water to push our boat out. My phone was in my pocket. I do have the replacement plan so I was just wondering if I needed to waste my time going to the sprint store of if I should just put a claim into insurance. Tough crowd!! But thanks for you help.
    06-04-09 01:38 PM
    I just dropped my bb in the toilet a few days ago. I put it in a bowl of rice(submerged in rice taht is) for 24 horus and bam, put the battery back in and it works just fine. Yours will to, more than likely.

I was annoyed that my working phone smelled like ****, so I got a new BB using the sprint TEP (which blackberries are 100$ deduct instead of 50$...) and I got my new phone the very next day in the mail. You can do all the insurance claiming online, and have them bill your sprint account. Its easy, I filed it at about noon on Monday, and Tuesday morning it was on my doorstep, new and ready to be activated.

If you tell them you just flat out lost the phone online they wont ask you to return your phone (i did this so i could use my **** stench bb as a backup in case i break the new one).

edit: how is p-i-s-s a bad word, oh well.
    06-04-09 01:51 PM
    I just dropped my bb in the toilet a few days ago. I put it in a bowl of rice(submerged in rice taht is) for 24 horus and bam, put the battery back in and it works just fine. Yours will to, more than likely.

I was annoyed that my working phone smelled like ****, so I got a new BB using the sprint TEP (which blackberries are 100$ deduct instead of 50$...) and I got my new phone the very next day in the mail. You can do all the insurance claiming online, and have them bill your sprint account. Its easy, I filed it at about noon on Monday, and Tuesday morning it was on my doorstep, new and ready to be activated.

If you tell them you just flat out lost the phone online they wont ask you to return your phone (i did this so i could use my **** stench bb as a backup in case i break the new one).

edit: how is p-i-s-s a bad word, oh well.
    I like the rice idea...I dunked my work supplied moto flip in the pool; I'll try this before I take it to the powers that be.
    06-04-09 01:57 PM
    Thanks for all your help. I am not trying to ditch my phone. I was on our boat this weeknd and had to jump in the water to push our boat out. My phone was in my pocket. I do have the replacement plan so I was just wondering if I needed to waste my time going to the sprint store of if I should just put a claim into insurance. Tough crowd!! But thanks for you help.
    you ain't seen by half how tough this crowd can get! as you Berry more and more you'll have opportunity to go through different sections of the forums page...tread lightly!
    06-04-09 01:59 PM
    make sure you take the backplate off and put both the phone and the battery in rice and just let it sit. if you check on it every few hours you will see the water coming to the surface, and eventually being sucked into the rice. this is the 2nd time i have done this to a phone, both worked flawlessly afterwards.

if it doesnt work after a day, say it almost works, then just keep it in the rice longer!
    06-04-09 02:00 PM
    thats funny my girlfriend drop her pearl in the toilet twice and got both replace i guess she was lucky.
    06-04-09 02:19 PM
    Quick Question

DID you turn the Berry off, remove it the battery and let it dry out

Submerge your BB in Rice for a day, with the battery out, the rice will absorb much of the moisture, and assuming you didn't just keep trying to turn your BB on after it went under you shouldn't have fried anything, this has worked for me on a number of phones I have dropped in water.

the KEY is to remove the battery ASAP, and not turn it on.

EDIT:
    I see someone has already mentioned rice....
    06-05-09 06:54 AM
    Quick Question

DID you turn the Berry off, remove it the battery and let it dry out

Submerge your BB in Rice for a day, with the battery out, the rice will absorb much of the moisture, and assuming you didn't just keep trying to turn your BB on after it went under you shouldn't have fried anything, this has worked for me on a number of phones I have dropped in water.

the KEY is to remove the battery ASAP, and not turn it on.

EDIT:
    I see someone has already mentioned rice....
    I can't stress this enough. I had a Samsung U520 that I went swimming with once, and when I realized it I pulled out the battery and left in the air for 24 hours. The next day I tried to turn it on and nothing showed up but a white screen, a loud noise, and the flash LED was on the entire time. I didn't know about the rice, but I've read in other places that it works a lot better.

People even suggest giving it 2 days because if you try to turn it on with even a little bit of moisture still in the phone, it'll bust for sure.

Take it from me, give it time. I didn't have insurance so I had to pay for a brand new phone. It hurt. I would have preferred to go phoneless for a week if I had to. lol
    06-05-09 11:01 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD