Would it be cool if BB10 APIs is written supporting Android apps so that Android apps is able to support BB10 hardware?

IMHO RIM should talk to google to share its Android market, it could solve the apps woes. Take a cut from Android market or income from advertising.

What say you?
    04-05-12 05:07 AM
    Me say dunno about that.
    04-05-12 06:47 AM
    No, this would be pointless. BB10 isnt Android, supporting SOME apps is one thing, and is a short to mid term strategy to get developer interest. Native apps are what you want, just like Android and Apple have them. If you support Android fully, whats the point in going BB10? Why not just buy an Android phone.
    04-05-12 06:51 AM
    Would it be cool if BB10 APIs is written supporting Android apps so that Android apps is able to support BB10 hardware?

IMHO RIM should talk to google to share its Android market, it could solve the apps woes. Take a cut from Android market or income from advertising.

What say you?
    What possible incentive would Google have to share app revenue with Rim? If anything, they would want Rim to pay for the content.
    04-05-12 09:27 AM
    It be a cool solution until they can get get there app development straight I say free it up what can it hurt

I don't want an android phone I want a bb that can bring all the things android offers to the table
    04-05-12 09:39 AM
    No, this would be pointless. BB10 isnt Android, supporting SOME apps is one thing, and is a short to mid term strategy to get developer interest. Native apps are what you want, just like Android and Apple have them. If you support Android fully, whats the point in going BB10? Why not just buy an Android phone.
    For the qwerty keyboard duhhh lol

Nevertheless, this is a problem that does indeed need to be addressed ASAP, doesn't look like they have much time left
    04-05-12 10:40 AM
    I honestly wouldnt want this. I can get all my android apps/games on my android devices. I want apps and games to take advantage of QNX. RIM needs to build their own ecosystem and not rely on someone else that could always take things away at the snap of their fingers. BB10 will not shine unless native development comes
    jonathon.94 likes this.
    04-05-12 03:03 PM
    It be a cool solution until they can get get there app development straight I say free it up what can it hurt

I don't want an android phone I want a bb that can bring all the things android offers to the table
    Punctuation can be a very useful thing. You might want to try it sometime....
    04-05-12 05:53 PM
    I propose the 'Be bold or be gone' strategy. RIMM should actively seek out all the developer houses and promise them to match their apps profit on iOS platform if they release the same apps within two weeks of iOS release. The profit matching will be on a first three month basis and will ensure that developers prioritize the work in front of the Android platform. Of course, there is cons to this strategy. Financially it could be a huge hit and that RIMM might lose a lot of money and eventually has to be bought out. But, as the 'Be bold or be gone' name implied, it is better to go out with a bang then waiting to die quietly. This will buy RIMM some fighting chance. Without apps, there is no way a mobile platform will gain any traction.
    04-05-12 06:35 PM
    Pointless to think about, as Google would never allow it to happen.
    04-05-12 06:44 PM
    What possible incentive would Google have to share app revenue with Rim? If anything, they would want Rim to pay for the content.
    Exactly.

Google doesn't make a whole lot from apps, but if you want the full Google ecosystem, you have to use the Google OS.
    04-05-12 06:45 PM
    While the option of loading android apps is fine, for most people it does not offer a top notch apps experience on qnx and likely will not on bb10.

So I think this would be confusing to and end user who is not aware of the app player limitations.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    CairnsRock likes this.
    04-05-12 06:59 PM
    While the option of loading android apps is fine, for most people it does not offer a top notch apps experience on qnx and likely will not on bb10.

So I think this would be confusing to and end user who is not aware of the app player limitations.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    That is because the apps are not using PBOS APIs and could not access PB hardware since PB APIs are different from Android APIs. What if the APIs are written in such a way that resemble Android APIs which gives access to hardware such as camera, GPS and etc. It will attract more developers since the APIs are the same.

Ok, I might be wrong about sharing Android market. Why not make it coexist in BB10?

P/s : It's not about wanting to use Andoid, if I want Android I will go and buy one, it is about wanting to use the apps available for Andoid.
    04-06-12 01:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD