I keep hearing rumors that S2 will have WIFI. But I have to date seen no evidence of same. The WIFI icon is not appearing on any shots of the phone. Does anyone know with any certainty whether WIFI will be present in S2 on Verizon?
    05-21-09 02:12 PM
    From the BlackBerry Cool site:
    The upcoming BlackBerry Odin is rumored to feature GPS, WiFi and work on a GSM network.
    05-21-09 10:54 PM
    Just like the Storm 1 was "confirmed" to have WiFI.
    05-21-09 10:59 PM
    There are versions of the Storm with WiFi. Just like there are US Tmo Bolds. Made, never released.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 11:00 PM
    This is the feature im most concerned about.. I don't care if the clicks or not but wifi would be a game changer for me
    05-22-09 11:36 AM
    There are versions of the Storm with WiFi. Just like there are US Tmo Bolds. Made, never released.

I mean no offense - - but, ah no.

Branding is one thing, placing a wireless chip onto the circuit board is an entirely different matter. This is not a matter of separate programming, your suggestion would require a completely different manufacturing run, FCC application review and licensing etc...

Where in the universe did you pull that from?
    05-22-09 11:44 AM
    I mean no offense - - but, ah no.

Branding is one thing, placing a wireless chip onto the circuit board is an entirely different matter. This is not a matter of separate programming, your suggestion would require a completely different manufacturing run, FCC application review and licensing etc...

Where in the universe did you pull that from?
    He is right. There are Storms with Wifi. Removed them before going into production.
    05-22-09 12:06 PM
    So we are talking about a pre-production development mock-up?

OK - I don't want to argue about technicalities over what is an actual device. I think it is commonly understood and for sake of clarification I intend in this thread to be talking about production models.

Will WIFI be part of the production model Storm II?
    05-22-09 12:11 PM

OK - I don't want to argue about technicalities over what is an actual device. I think it is commonly understood and for sake of clarification I intend in this thread to be talking about production models.

Short answer no one here knows and those in the know aren't talking yet. The rumor is that WIFI will be included. Also, there is a "production" Storm that already has WIFI, it's the 9520 and is a GSM only phone so the capability already exists and has been implemented, just not on the US 9530.
    05-22-09 02:14 PM
    Sorry - I never saw that model in production. I saw a pre-production model, that was due for Rogers/Fido in Canada, that was given the no-go.

If you have ever been to a car show, you see many, many pre-production vehicles. They are working vehicles that are there to show you what the manufacturer has in mind - - but rarely hit the assembly line.

I believe such is the case with with what many people are pointing to with the Storm I (9500/9530). I'm sure they experimented and made lots of different Storms with more and lesser memory and slower and faster chips, before they decided on what model would head to the assembly line for "Production".

In any case, I think we will need to wait a until the actual Storm II OS has been loaded to see what RIM has decided to put inside.
    05-22-09 02:27 PM

In short, Yes.
    05-22-09 05:10 PM
    In short, Yes.
    But Verizon will only let you use it if you subscribe to their WIFI Hotspot service they are introducing.
    05-22-09 05:24 PM
    Wifi on a built-to-order device on Verizon? I'm gonna guess "no". Not saying that I believe in a big "Verizon Hates Wifi!" conspiracy. I think it's simply a matter of cost -- wifi hardware tacks about $50 on to the price tag of a device. (Compare wifi and non-wifi Blackberries with otherwise-identical featuresets.) The Storm is already one of the most expensive devices VZW has; they're not going to push it up any higher.

I'm betting the Storm 2 is essentially going to be the Storm 1.5: a feature-identical drop-in replacement with a different mechanical interface. Replace the Surepress button with a strain gauge and haptic "clicker" feedback. Maybe double the application RAM. Crack it open and you'll likely see the same PCB.
    05-22-09 05:43 PM
    Wifi on a built-to-order device on Verizon? I'm gonna guess "no". Not saying that I believe in a big "Verizon Hates Wifi!" conspiracy. I think it's simply a matter of cost -- wifi hardware tacks about $50 on to the price tag of a device. (Compare wifi and non-wifi Blackberries with otherwise-identical featuresets.) The Storm is already one of the most expensive devices VZW has; they're not going to push it up any higher.

I'm betting the Storm 2 is essentially going to be the Storm 1.5: a feature-identical drop-in replacement with a different mechanical interface. Replace the Surepress button with a strain gauge and haptic "clicker" feedback. Maybe double the application RAM. Crack it open and you'll likely see the same PCB.
    There's no way that the addition of wifi on the circuit board adds $50 to the cost. Have you ever seen those cellphone tear downs? Each component is averages 8 or 9 bucks.
    05-22-09 06:24 PM
    But Verizon will only let you use it if you subscribe to their WIFI Hotspot service they are introducing.
    Imagine that? How absurd would that be. It makes sense I would think if you had a small business maybe, other wise I don't know about that whole thing in general.
    05-22-09 06:38 PM
    Wifi is planned for all future blackberries on vzw post-tour. Such is the leaked info anyway. Take it for what its worth.

05-22-09 06:48 PM
    I suppose that this is quite possibly a dumb question, but what is the big deal about having wifi?

The only benefit that I see would be speed...and that only at the expense of an increased drain on your battery. And you're more likely to have a cellular signal than a hotspot, no? Heck, if there were free, unprotected hotspots everywhere I would've just stuck with the combo of my iPod Touch and a cheap cell phone.

05-24-09 05:52 PM
    When I am at home or at work and have access to a secure Wifi internet connection that is faster than 3g, then why not? Other wise I'm with you, there's no need to connect to an unsecured hotspot.
    05-24-09 06:23 PM

Your wrong on two things. One, the Storm 2 has WiFi in pre-production models, and it will post-production as well. And two, the addition of WiFi adds a negligible amount to the actual cost of the unit.
    05-24-09 07:11 PM
    Your wrong on two things. One, the Storm 2 has WiFi in pre-production models, and it will post-production as well. And two, the addition of WiFi adds a negligible amount to the actual cost of the unit.
    Thanks for the contributions, Radio!

Can you comment at all on how Verizon will handle the Wifi?
    05-24-09 08:38 PM
    There's no way that the addition of wifi on the circuit board adds $50 to the cost. Have you ever seen those cellphone tear downs? Each component is averages 8 or 9 bucks.
    He means in retail cost to the consumer. Just because it costs 10 to add, doesn't mean they are going to sell it to you at face value.
    05-25-09 04:57 AM
    Please inform me about the next blackberry which is upcomin!! by when is it supposed to be out?
    05-25-09 06:13 AM
    Is that right? For how much more? Also, do you mean it will not be like GPS, which is unlocked? How can they a step forward then two steps back..?

Please inform me about the next blackberry which is upcomin!! by when is it supposed to be out?
    The new Blackberry "Oh no you didn't" A.K.A. Blackberry 10030. It will have all the stuff from the current and up and coming models PLUS a ruler, stapler, cattle prod, hello kitty key chain, pick-up line generator, and a low-intensity (on the low setting) laser to scratch your *** with (with multiple settings, it has Low, Burn your *** off, and World Domination modes). Should be out by 2000 never.

Odin is supposedly coming out in June.
    Last edited by Shadow.xXx; 05-25-09 at 07:04 AM.
    05-25-09 06:57 AM
    When I am at home or at work and have access to a secure Wifi internet connection that is faster than 3g, then why not? Other wise I'm with you, there's no need to connect to an unsecured hotspot.
    Same here. When I'm at home and just want to check on email or do a quick google I'll just use my iPod Touch. But out in the wild I've found that hotspots aren't so readily accessible...which is why I got my Storm.

05-25-09 08:52 AM
    I suppose that this is quite possibly a dumb question, but what is the big deal about having wifi?

The only benefit that I see would be speed...and that only at the expense of an increased drain on your battery. And you're more likely to have a cellular signal than a hotspot, no? Heck, if there were free, unprotected hotspots everywhere I would've just stuck with the combo of my iPod Touch and a cheap cell phone.

what makes you think wifi= battery drain?
    05-25-09 04:17 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD