Fellow Crackberries :-)

What do you think - are there are any chances for RIM to still succeed? With all those new announcements of Android 2.2 platform, hundreds new devices powered by Android (some touch-screens with real keyboards, but not too much); with upcoming new iPhone 4G/HD/or whatever it will be called, with pretty nice features... With all that -- there is almost no new from RIM -- except the slider 9800 (which is not like the best their device)...
    The best one on the market from RIM I believe is 9700, but that's it.

What are your thoughts? ... -- just want to hear more opinions...
    05-24-10 02:27 AM
    Just look at any of the other threads like these that get started every day...
    05-24-10 02:48 AM
    I know masahiro. They're so annoying. Anyways... To be productive... RIM is not in trouble. Yes we all know that they're technology isn't as eye catching as android for instance but they still hold a large chunk of the business sector. For a more detailed and intellectual post that evaluates this one, see the other 20 threads like this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-10 06:24 AM
    RIM is not in trouble...companies/business/CEO's/Corporate America/Consumers will always use blackberrys...look android/iphone is all nice and dandy...but i love my blackberry because it does what i need it to do...anything else is extra that i can live without or use my mini laptop or studio laptop for...bb rocks!
    05-24-10 07:11 AM
    Looking forward to Android, and iPhone 4G, but what you are not looking forward to is BlackBerry 6, Everyone assumes Blackberry 6 will just be a theme on the OS, I suspect it will be new, with enough familiarity to allow minimal learning curve from OS 4.2 to Blackberry6,

Blackberry will have many form factors over 2010/2011
    1 Touch
    1 Touch Slider
    2 Flips (Big & small)
    2 Candy Bars (big & small)

and in those form factors you're probably talking 8-10 production models, I don't suspect they will have anything to really worry about for the Android and iPhone introduction, the Smartphone market is still growing, and RIM is still dominate in the business market, BES is very important to many closed system company's complete control is something they want, then once you've got your team knowing BB's there personal phones become BB's to communicate with family easier, and to not have to learn new things.

I spoke with a Radio DJ this weekend who is an iPhone user, he got the iPhone because his kids and wife had iPod Touches, and he could share apps with them on his phone, the decision was made based purely on familiarity, RIM will continue to do that from the corporate end down for many years to come, as many corporate upgrade cycles are 4 years and Android is too new to get adopted, and iPhones require iTunes, which is not a software that IT wants to have to maintain if they can avoid it.
    05-24-10 10:42 AM
    RIM has to be the only company with no debt, 40% annual growth, and a proven industry leader that is constantly perceived as losing. The smartphone market is still in its infancy yet many want to proclaim a victor. Sure, Android sells a lot of devices but so does Nokia. Nokia sells ten times the number of handsets as RIM, with double the number of smartphones. But they make less money than RIM.

With all the sales of the Android handsets, only HTC makes any decent profit. And for the last earning report they made about a quarter of what RIM took in. Apple is the only manufacturer that makes a healthier profit margin than RIM. But RIM still sells on carriers that offer the competing devices.

Don't forget that RIM has gone from a company with $50 million in revenue ten years ago to over $15 billion. And that was up against competition from companies that dwarfed them in market capitalization. They still have a system that is unmatched in the industry with BIS/BES and have created a brand name that is instantly recognizable. Even Mr. Lazaridis has started to refer to his company as BlackBerry instead of Research In Motion.

RIM excels at the technical issues that are usually forgotten in the hype of the media but will always be important. More so as more people start to expand the uses of their smartphones. Data compression, security and true push capabilites will still be the drivers for RIM. Just relax and realize there isn't going to be one solitary smartphone manufacturer.

When Ford releases a car does anyone call it a "Toyota killer'?
    05-24-10 01:15 PM
    ^ Exactly, it all comes down to numbers. Who's performing well and who's not. Keep in mind, RIM is a much younger company then Apple and Nokia. I think they are doing very well managing the explosive growth that they recently had since the first pearl that came out. The company is trying to keep it's grip to maintain their place in the market.
    Last edited by thymaster; 05-24-10 at 02:39 PM.
    05-24-10 02:35 PM
    ^ Exactly, it all comes down to numbers. Who's performing well and who's not. Keep in mind, RIM is a much younger company then Apple and Nokia. I think they are doing very well managing the explosive growth that they recently had since the first pearl that came out. The company is trying to keep it's grip to maintain their place in the market.
    First of all, Apple is the new player in the phone market. RIM has been around for a long time, 10+ years if I remember correctly.

RIM does not need to play catch up, in their market they are the only game in town. Period. iPhone, Android, etc. cannot even compete at the corporate level as they can. Why do you think governments and military people like them so much?

So let's talk numbers. RIM outsells Apple. RIM's OS is in more phones than most others. As far as the numbers themselves are concerned, RIM is way ahead of most others in the smartphone market.
    05-24-10 02:53 PM
    Apple may be new to smartphones, but as a company, it is much older. They also had a lot of momentum going into the smartphone market, riding on the success of their runaway hit, the ipod.

05-24-10 04:23 PM
    First of all, Apple is the new player in the phone market. RIM has been around for a long time, 10+ years if I remember correctly.

Lets keep in mind, the iPhone is far from a great PHONE it is a great portable media player/web surfer, you never hear people saying how good of phone reception, or voice quality they get with the iPhone over other handsets, Apple has ALWAYS been in the market of closed system user experience driven devices. that is what they have always done, and before the iPhone they spent time playing with the iPod touch to again get some practice in, though I hate apple like I hate Sony, they did things right when launching their first Smart Phone, the ironed out kinks on less competitive products, and continued on a successful OS idea from their Mac line.
    05-24-10 04:42 PM
    Fellow Crackberries :-)

What do you think - are there are any chances for RIM to still succeed? With all those new announcements of Android 2.2 platform, hundreds new devices powered by Android (some touch-screens with real keyboards, but not too much); with upcoming new iPhone 4G/HD/or whatever it will be called, with pretty nice features... With all that -- there is almost no new from RIM -- except the slider 9800 (which is not like the best their device)...
    The best one on the market from RIM I believe is 9700, but that's it.

What are your thoughts? ... -- just want to hear more opinions...
    RIM will still be around when all the rest have faded away!
    05-24-10 05:26 PM
    RIM has never been in any trouble and will always be around.
    05-24-10 05:33 PM
    Exactly, took the words right out of my mouth. "Will RIM Fail?" "RIM=Epic Fail" "Droid to put RIM out of business" blah, blah, blah.

RIM will do just fine, they HAVE been doing just fine and they will continue to do so. All the devices of all the manufacturers have pros and cons. Buyers will decide which compromise (and there are compromises with all of them) they can live with--or without. Period, end of story...NEXT!

Just look at any of the other threads like these that get started every day...
    05-24-10 05:45 PM
    LOL..while I agree with the spirit and intent of your post, I have to say (admit?) that I have had two great Sony devices. My old, 36" Sony CRT television was first class and I'd probably still have it had the mover not put a hole through the screen (which was timely as plasma was just coming out so it was time to upgrade). Also, my Sony DVD player works great and is still going strong. However, I think that about ends it for all things Sony that I like (STILL thinking back to my Sony Beta video player, LOL).

Lets keep in mind, the iPhone is far from a great PHONE it is a great portable media player/web surfer, you never hear people saying how good of phone reception, or voice quality they get with the iPhone over other handsets, Apple has ALWAYS been in the market of closed system user experience driven devices. that is what they have always done, and before the iPhone they spent time playing with the iPod touch to again get some practice in, though I hate apple like I hate Sony, they did things right when launching their first Smart Phone, the ironed out kinks on less competitive products, and continued on a successful OS idea from their Mac line.
    05-24-10 05:48 PM
    I love these RIM's demise threads. Security and email capability are enough to make RIM a major player for many years to come.
    05-24-10 06:27 PM
    LOL..while I agree with the spirit and intent of your post, I have to say (admit?) that I have had two great Sony devices. My old, 36" Sony CRT television was first class and I'd probably still have it had the mover not put a hole through the screen (which was timely as plasma was just coming out so it was time to upgrade). Also, my Sony DVD player works great and is still going strong. However, I think that about ends it for all things Sony that I like (STILL thinking back to my Sony Beta video player, LOL).
    Sony like Apple makes Solid Products, but as Company's I hate there corporate views, also HATE that sony doesn't conform to Standards other manufacturers standardize on, I don't buy Sony, and will probably not buy Apple products for many years to come, as long as there is a viable alternative, I will buy it.
    05-24-10 06:45 PM
    Exactly. Apple and Sony are notorious for forcing their own standards on consumers. I mean, micro SIM cards, really?! I refuse to buy from companies with that philosophy.

Last edited by Masahiro; 05-24-10 at 06:57 PM.
    05-24-10 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD