Do you think the QNX phone interface will have the same "look and feel" of our current BBOS BBs?

Or will they be so radically different that we wouldn't even recognize them as BB's if we stumbled upon one today, not knowing what it was beforehand?

I'm just wondering if RIM is going to continue evolving the UI concepts behind OS 6 and 7, with the QNX phones just being faster and more stable...

Or if RIM is going to abandon the UI of BBOS 6-7 and go in an entirely different direction with QNX?
    06-24-11 02:36 PM
    That's one of the things we'll just have to wait and see
    06-24-11 02:39 PM
    I definitely think so!

People love BlackBerry OS, it's simple and there's always a couple different ways you can do one thing. People rely on it to get $hit done. There's millions of users still on 4.X OS' (probably the majority of BlackBerry users) and they will want a familiar OS for when they upgrade in the future. RIM knows this and will make QNX feel similar to the glory days of BlackBerry.

If they don't, I'll be moving to Windows...
    06-24-11 02:47 PM
    I think the QNX phones will be close to whatever the OS7 phones look like, and we know from vids of some of these devices that it looks a lot like OS6. Word is that part of the delay in getting OS7 out the door has been making as many components reusable in QNX/OS8 as possible. I'm thinking the UI would have to be part of that, but that's just an extremely uneducated guess. I definitely concur with ridesno, they don't want to wander too far from the familiar and comfortable BB UI. Both OS7 and QNX releases are going to be pretty interesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 03:40 PM
    If anything it will be similar to the UI of the Playbook I would assume.
    06-24-11 04:33 PM
    That's what I am thinking as well.^^^

06-24-11 05:34 PM
    I hope they shake it up and have widgets and such for homescreen. Time will tell though. I expect to see influences from the PB but not quite like that since that is designed for touch in mind and even though most BBs will also be touch, the "pad" navigation is still going to exist and be dominant i think.
    06-24-11 05:46 PM
    I hope they shake it up and have widgets and such for homescreen. Time will tell though. I expect to see influences from the PB but not quite like that since that is designed for touch in mind and even though most BBs will also be touch, the "pad" navigation is still going to exist and be dominant i think.

The ONLY thing I would like to see change is Widgets on the home screen, and non grid layouts of Application pains,

I'd like to position all my apps to the edge of the screens for touching when using a single hand,

I'd like my "apps" to also be widgets, so my weather app was a live widget that I touched to get more info launching the application, my Stock app was a widget scrolling through each stock if I wanted a full view I would open the app.

I really the more I try it the more I completely HATE HTC's UI for Android so I really don't want RIM to change in that direction any more. leave me with OS7/PBOS look and feel with a few more elements
    06-24-11 10:42 PM
    I've wondered myself too. So I took my PlayBook and turned it into portrait mode to see what the homescreen would look like
    06-24-11 10:52 PM
    The thing about the holdouts still using old BB OS's is they don't often buy new phones. We have a few of these guys, and the thing is, when they have a problem (which is rare -- that's why they've stuck with what works) they usually wind up at my desk and sometimes I upgrade the OS for them. Because these guys generally aren't adventurous with their devices, the change has not been a big deal, so long as you clean out or hide the stuff they will not use anyway, and show them the upgrade allows them to keep on doing what they have been doing all along. But it would be crazy to program forward with that audience in mind.

A lot of people like the look and feel of the traditional BB OS and it remains a way to distinguish the brand from RIM's competitors. If you tune out the sales hype, the other OS's haven't changed their look much. Of course there are subtle differences from the array of Droids and even the succession of Iphones, but they are still mostly the same, flat shiny boxes for a number of years now, with the same sorts of screen set-ups and Icon configurations.
    06-25-11 02:10 AM
    If anything it will be similar to the UI of the Playbook I would assume.
    That's what I think. And then perhaps RIM will also add a way to change to the old BB OS layout. Kinda like with Windows 8 where you can use tiles or select the "classic" Windows interface.

06-25-11 02:29 AM
    If we take off our blinkers and be honest, current UI looks insipid and well worn out even to the most hardcore of fanboys.

But I'd simply detest it if RIM decides to just take cues from the Android or iOS. A familiar,distinctive BB feel, yet looks new would be it.

06-25-11 03:49 AM
    Widgets and the ability run Android apps would be the cat's meow.
    06-25-11 10:26 AM
    I think the QNX phones will be close to whatever the OS7 phones look like, and we know from vids of some of these devices that it looks a lot like OS6. Word is that part of the delay in getting OS7 out the door has been making as many components reusable in QNX/OS8 as possible. I'm thinking the UI would have to be part of that, but that's just an extremely uneducated guess. I definitely concur with ridesno, they don't want to wander too far from the familiar and comfortable BB UI. Both OS7 and QNX releases are going to be pretty interesting.

When I read your post I imagine it being said in Stewie Griffin's voice.
    06-25-11 10:56 AM
    All I can say is I don't think it will look like the playbook UI with the gestures and flicking apps off the screen. Even though HP didn't sue over the playbook, they will probably sue if it showed up on phones.
    06-25-11 11:22 AM
    But I'd simply detest it if RIM decides to just take cues from the Android or iOS. A familiar,distinctive BB feel, yet looks new would be it.
    I agree. I don't think RIM can beat Android/Apple by becoming more like them, but instead needs to keep themselves distinct as an alternative approach and experience.
    06-25-11 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD