I have a blackberry torch and use ATT. I'm going abroad for 2 months and bought just an international data plan that lets me use 20mb of data per month. I want to keep in touch with my boyfriend through bbm...I'm going to remove my email from my phone through set up and delete applications like Twitter and Facebook that may use data. How much mb does one BBM message use? Will 20mb be enough for a month?

Thoughts? This is kind of important to me.
    06-11-11 07:53 PM
    Also I was planning on using only wifi when I can find it to reduce the chances of going over 20mb...but still..
    06-11-11 07:54 PM
    Get a data monitor like e-office mobile - Mobile Data Alerter BBM is small data but no harm in being safe and the app is free.
    06-11-11 08:04 PM
    Thanks, but for some reason when I try to open the app it wont let me because of an error...
    06-11-11 08:52 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I did what your planning to for 1 month. And I payed 200$ + for my bill when I got back with att. If you can I would get a pay as you go sim in the country your going to and just "load" it with credit as you need it. I was able to pay about 25 cents for the sim card and 4 dollars for bbm, Facebook, and twitter access. No web browsing though.

06-11-11 11:20 PM
    I have a blackberry torch and use ATT. I'm going abroad for 2 months and bought just an international data plan that lets me use 20mb of data per month. I want to keep in touch with my boyfriend through bbm...I'm going to remove my email from my phone through set up and delete applications like Twitter and Facebook that may use data. How much mb does one BBM message use? Will 20mb be enough for a month?

Roughly 200 BBM messages.

500MB = 5000 text/email/bbm messages.

Unlock your phone, buy a SIM card over there and get text, voice and data package. It's way cheaper!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-11 01:46 AM

The answer is plenty, I tested and one text bbm and reply used 1kb, 1024kb in 1mb and you got 20 of them. Make sure you have the latest bbm installed, you and your boyfriend, as it sends photos in a small format, 45kb, with the option to request a higher quality version of that photo.
    You can keep your email too, just disable download images automatically and automore settings.

Also, find hot spots where you are, BIS can work trough wifi too at no cost.

06-12-11 03:16 AM
    How much mb does one BBM message use? Will 20mb be enough for a month?
    20 Mb = 20,000 Kb. That is enough for 10,000 2Kb messages, the minimum granularity my carrier bills for international data use.

for some reason when I try to open the app it wont let me because of an error...
    The OP is planning on using a SIM with a prepaid data plan, but not a BlackBerry BIS plan. Without the correct plan, BlackBerry Messenger will not work.

06-12-11 09:57 AM
    20 MB for BBM it's a lot of massages, don't think you can make so much but make sure you remove all the apps and don't use it with other stuff that takes data. but for texting 20MB it's not that less.
    06-12-11 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD