Hey guys,

I will leave next week to spend 10 days in Europe, and of course I am bringing my Bold with me. I hate roaming fees, so I am thinking of using my Bold's Wifi to check my emails at hotspots. However, my gal is there already and she brought her iPhone, and she told me today that her iPhone's wifi does not work over there.

now she is not that computer savvy, but is it her iPhone's wifi fault, or is it her? Will my Bold's wifi work or not there? Its on Rogers here with the latest ATT firmware .297 I think, so I don't know if Wifi signals are compatible between Europe and NA.

thanks for everyone's opinion

(If you think my Bold will work on Wifi across the pond, feel free to bash my Gf's iPhone.....)
    08-31-09 08:48 PM
    There are 13 or 14 WiFi channels, in NA anything over 11 is a part of a HAM radio band and is locked out. I'm not sure if Europe uses channels over 11, the only place that I'm certain uses them is Japan. But as long as the network you're trying to connect to uses channel 11 or lower (pretty good odds) your Bold will work fine.
    08-31-09 09:02 PM
    Your Bold will work over here, or anywhere in the world for that matter.

Its your GFs that broken, not her Idrone

Wifi should work anywhere in the world as its a global standard.

The 14 bands used in the world are irrelevant to a 'Berry. It will use what ever is available.
    08-31-09 09:18 PM
    Yeah WTF... I might be completely wrong but I thought that WiFi was a global standard. I remember my first night off the plane, I just went into a New Delhi hotel in India and just searched for the hotel network and connected.

I didn't know about any WiFi bands etc... I thought it was just A/B/G/N???
    SoBold likes this.
    09-01-09 01:09 AM
    Hey guys,

I will leave next week to spend 10 days in Europe, and of course I am bringing my Bold with me. I hate roaming fees, so I am thinking of using my Bold's Wifi to check my emails at hotspots. However, my gal is there already and she brought her iPhone, and she told me today that her iPhone's wifi does not work over there.

now she is not that computer savvy, but is it her iPhone's wifi fault, or is it her? Will my Bold's wifi work or not there? Its on Rogers here with the latest ATT firmware .297 I think, so I don't know if Wifi signals are compatible between Europe and NA.

thanks for everyone's opinion

(If you think my Bold will work on Wifi across the pond, feel free to bash my Gf's iPhone.....)
    Worked in Scotland, England, Spain, and France for me!!! Both on released OS, and on .282 OS. Just make sure to switch your Mobile Network Data option to "Off When Roaming." WiFi will still connect to BIS, just without the roaming charges from the local network.
    Last edited by synwars; 09-01-09 at 01:45 AM.
    09-01-09 01:15 AM
    Yeah WTF... I might be completely wrong but I thought that WiFi was a global standard. I remember my first night off the plane, I just went into a New Delhi hotel in India and just searched for the hotel network and connected.

If you go to Wikipedia you can see the "List of WLAN channels" article (I don't have enough posts to post a link). It has a table with what channels are allowed in what country.

In Canada (RIM's headquarters) the use of channels 13 and 14 are prohibited, so I expect all devices manufactured for the North American market will have those channels locked out. I'm certain that laptop and wireless router manufacturers do lock out channels 13 and 14 for the NA market, most lock out 12 too. Europe has 14 prohibited too, you wont find any networks on channel 14 outside of Japan.
    09-01-09 02:33 AM
    If you go to Wikipedia you can see the "List of WLAN channels" article (I don't have enough posts to post a link). It has a table with what channels are allowed in what country.

In Canada (RIM's headquarters) the use of channels 13 and 14 are prohibited, so I expect all devices manufactured for the North American market will have those channels locked out. I'm certain that laptop and wireless router manufacturers do lock out channels 13 and 14 for the NA market, most lock out 12 too. Europe has 14 prohibited too, you wont find any networks on channel 14 outside of Japan.
    Hmmm... but I doubt they would lock out WiFi on what are essentially called world phones no? I don't know much about channels, but I can say for a fact my Bold, and my laptop WiFi worked when I travelled in England, Amsterdam, Seoul South Korea, New Delhi, Australia, and Germany.
    09-01-09 04:56 AM
    WiFi channel 13 is NBC here.. I can access it on my TV, but my Bold won't let me connect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 07:32 AM
    most world phones have freq 2100 which is a common europe 3G freq, BB are quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE so you should be able to connect, i have a few friends in London that have Bold's and one in Bellgrade.
    09-01-09 11:18 AM
    Hmmm... but I doubt they would lock out WiFi on what are essentially called world phones no? I don't know much about channels, but I can say for a fact my Bold, and my laptop WiFi worked when I travelled in England, Amsterdam, Seoul South Korea, New Delhi, Australia, and Germany.
    I suspect it's a regulatory issue. If they didn't lock out the channels they would be liable for interference created by their users. I know that's why you don't see any open source WiFi chipset firmware, the manufacturers are all concerned about the regulatory problems.

It's only 2 of 13 channels that would be locked out, and 80% of people never change their channel from the default of 6. A hotel or similar that was expecting international visitors would just avoid channels 12 and 13. It's quite possible that you just didn't notice that ~3% of WiFi networks were missing, that's really not a lot of them.

@spitothec
    Haha? That's gotta be a joke.

@ghostshell
    While there is nothing factually wrong in your post, it's not related to the OP's question.
    09-01-09 11:29 AM
    It will work perfectly fine...my bro uses Rogers as his network and has a Bold...he brought it over a few weeks back when he was visiting me and his wifi worked perfectly well with mine here in the UK....he was even getting all his work emails coming through and hes on BES with his company.

Same with his wifes iphone, which is also on Rogers...her wifi worked perfectly well with my wifi here in the UK
    09-01-09 11:47 AM
    ok, sounds rather positive, thanks to everyone who helped!
    09-01-09 12:31 PM
    Subscribe.
    Great info here as I will be traveling to Spain in a few weeks.
    Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 12:37 PM

When you went into India did you put in a new local sim card to get voice services? Meanwhile, did your pin still receive emails and bbms?

Thanks in advance..
    01-13-11 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD