I am an admitted Blackberry fanboy and my friends make fun of me for it. Lost another BB friend to the iPhone today and over the past 6 months the defection to the iPhone or Android by people I know who had a Blackberry has been disturbing. A lot of these people had the BB Tour, Storm, Bold 9700 or Curve 8900 etc. They seem to have older devices and look right past the new Bold 9900 when they go to get a new phone. Will the lack of advertising by RIM on the new OS7 be more of a downfall then people are tending it to be?
    03-07-12 12:15 PM
    I don't think it's the lack of advertising that is hurting them. I think it's the lack of features or at least perceived features. It's been discussed many times here. Even though BBs have many apps, there are many more that they don't have, including some of the high-profile ones. People want these things and BB doesn't have them, so they move on.

The vast majority of people will not take the time to explore CB in order to learn that the beta Kindle app for the 9700 can be made to work on the 9900. They will simply learn that "there's no Kindle app for OS7" and, if they want Kindle, move on.

Angry Birds, Words With Friends, Netflix, Skype, etc. These aren't just apps; they have come to be expectations, so a platform that doesn't have them is simply less appealing, and the shift in the market reflects that. We can write all the messages we want about the virtues of BBs--keyboards, data compression, security--but people still want what they want. Apple and Android have created expectations that aren't likely to go away. Advertising can't fix that.

As for whether this is the final straw, it's really going to depend on whether BB10 hits the ground running, in my opinion. It's also going to depend on how big a hit RIM takes from budget WP and Android phones in the emerging markets.
    03-07-12 12:48 PM
    The thing I see a lot though with some of the people I'm referring to is that they don't even use the apps that you're talking about. Yes, they mess with Words With Friends and Instagram, but most of the time they just talk and text. There is a huge market out there for apps but I think a lot of people are leaving BlackBerry right now because they are perceived as old and slow despite the new Bold being fast and pretty feature rich, though lacking some major apps.
    03-07-12 01:21 PM
    The thing I see a lot though with some of the people I'm referring to is that they don't even use the apps that you're talking about. Yes, they mess with Words With Friends and Instagram, but most of the time they just talk and text. There is a huge market out there for apps but I think a lot of people are leaving BlackBerry right now because they are perceived as old and slow despite the new Bold being fast and pretty feature rich, though lacking some major apps.
    What they end up using after they buy a phone is less important, from a marketing standpoint, than what they think they'll need/want before they buy it. If everybody is talking about Angry Birds or WWF and I want to be part of those conversations, then I'll want a phone that has them, even if I end up not playing them much.

People don't want to be told that they'll mostly just talk and text because that makes them sound boring, and people don't want to think of themselves that way.
    03-07-12 01:33 PM
    What they end up using after they buy a phone is less important, from a marketing standpoint, than what they think they'll need/want before they buy it. If everybody is talking about Angry Birds or WWF and I want to be part of those conversations, then I'll want a phone that has them, even if I end up not playing them much.

People don't want to be told that they'll mostly just talk and text because that makes them sound boring, and people don't want to think of themselves that way.
    Thanks for reminding us that people are actually sheep in disguise.
    03-07-12 01:44 PM
    I don't see it as a downfall at all. It all depends. If people don't truly appreciabe glad they even have a phone to use depending on how little or much cash they have to shell out, they shouldn't have a phone. If they can, stick with it. I'm glad I stuck with blackberry. I truly am.
    03-07-12 01:46 PM
    Today I'm talking with my cousin whose very excited, he just bought his first "smartphone", an Android. He asked me if I had this app or this video chat, or that app, .....I said no BlackBerry doesn't have those.....he asked is your BlackBerry a "smartphone" .....I'm beginning to wonder, do apps make that much of a difference, those big three (not mentioning names) might be bigger apps than I believe. There's something to be said about marketing......it brings more awareness to a product which translate into more consumers and more....apps
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-07-12 at 02:09 PM.
    03-07-12 02:07 PM
    Actually, you're pretty wrong. There was already a thread here a week or two ago asking Android and iPhone users to list all the apps they actually use on a daily basis. Many of the responses listed a lot of apps being used daily that have no counterpart whatsoever on Blackberry. I'm not sure where that thread went but it was more than enough proof to BB fans that apps are a big deal and enough to pour water on the constant "but people only use 5 apps" argument that keeps masquerading itself as truth here when it's comically false.

People text and talk most of the time with their smartphones - no duh, we communicate as human beings on a daily basis. But we also want to be part of photo sharing networks like Instagram and enjoy a quick flick on Netflix. And yes, many people use those apps on a daily basis - maybe not as long as texting or chatting but long enough that their lack of availability on the BB platform is why they probably won't come back.

The latest craze right now has been the app Draw Something. It has pretty much taken over the App Store and Android Market by storm. Millions of users almost in an instant. Cross-platform gaming, etc. But if you had a BB, you would've been left out.

And you're also wrong about the lack of marketing. All the "Be Bold" commercials and ads have been popping up everywhere. It feels pretty aggressive. The truth is that the product just doesn't compete. BB10 may change that, but again, like I stated above, people aren't going to choose it if it lacks the cool apps that people actually use on a daily basis.

Also, here's another indicator to judge whether RIM "gets it" when they release the first BB10 phone: the camera. The fact that Apple and every other smartphone maker is in a camera shootout shows they understand the market. Cameras are a huge factor next to the app ecosystem for most buyers these days. And if you try to use the "if I want to take pictures, I'll use a dSLR" argument, you're failing just like RIM.
    Last edited by alby4ever; 03-07-12 at 02:47 PM.
    03-07-12 02:33 PM
    I am an admitted Blackberry fanboy and my friends make fun of me for it. Lost another BB friend to the iPhone today and over the past 6 months the defection to the iPhone or Android by people I know who had a Blackberry has been disturbing. A lot of these people had the BB Tour, Storm, Bold 9700 or Curve 8900 etc. They seem to have older devices and look right past the new Bold 9900 when they go to get a new phone. Will the lack of advertising by RIM on the new OS7 be more of a downfall then people are tending it to be?
    thats the biggest thing.

When people have older Blackberry devices, an iPhone or Android is considered a HUGE upgrade because it is. Its like Night and Day. Many of those people didnt even know the 9900 was out or that it was different.

The new 9900 and other OS 7 devices were a little too late. Just this year (late last year) did we FINALLY see some advertising, even though the 9900 came out in August.

Even in the commercials they dont even show that the 9900 is touchscreen or has an updated browser, smh.

Even the Playbook! Where are the ads? Didn't OS 2 JUST come out? RIM is messing up AGAIN.

The lack of advertising is THE biggest problem.
    03-07-12 02:53 PM
    Actually, you're pretty wrong. There was already a thread here a week or two ago asking Android and iPhone users to list all the apps they actually use on a daily basis. Many of the responses listed a lot of apps being used daily that have no counterpart whatsoever on Blackberry. I'm not sure where that thread went but it was more than enough proof to BB fans that apps are a big deal and enough to pour water on the constant "but people only use 5 apps" argument that keeps masquerading itself as truth here when it's comically false.

People text and talk most of the time with their smartphones - no duh, we communicate as human beings on a daily basis. But we also want to be part of photo sharing networks like Instagram and enjoy a quick flick on Netflix. And yes, many people use those apps on a daily basis - maybe not as long as texting or chatting but long enough that their lack of availability on the BB platform is why they probably won't come back.

The latest craze right now has been the app Draw Something. It has pretty much taken over the App Store and Android Market by storm. Millions of users almost in an instant. Cross-platform gaming, etc. But if you had a BB, you would've been left out.

And you're also wrong about the lack of marketing. All the "Be Bold" commercials and ads have been popping up everywhere. It feels pretty aggressive. The truth is that the product just doesn't compete. BB10 may change that, but again, like I stated above, people aren't going to choose it if it lacks the cool apps that people actually use on a daily basis.

Also, here's another indicator to judge whether RIM "gets it" when they release the first BB10 phone: the camera. The fact that Apple and every other smartphone maker is in a camera shootout shows they understand the market. Cameras are a huge factor next to the app ecosystem for most buyers these days. And if you try to use the "if I want to take pictures, I'll use a dSLR" argument, you're failing just like RIM.

I'm 32 years old and I literally know 1 person who has watched Netflix on their phone. Maybe the people I know don't have the time to do that. I don't want to stereotype but most of the people im referring to are women. They like Instagram but I bet I have more apps on my 9930 then they do. I think I people like us on these forums are a small minority of the smartphone world now.
    03-07-12 04:02 PM
    RIM needs to keep at it. Keep with the advertising and the contests and event sponsorships

It was smart for RIM to start-off their new BB10 phone experience with powerful next-gen hardware, unfortunately we have to wait a little bit but it should be worth it.
    Last edited by anthogag; 03-07-12 at 06:53 PM.
    03-07-12 06:49 PM
    RIM has yet to realize that marketing is all important. There is far too little of it and what few ads I see are weak and poorly done.
    03-07-12 06:59 PM
    Check out my post regarding RIM marketing...

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...phones-707170/
    03-07-12 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD