That whole "triple the RAM" thing needs to be understood in the context of one pristinely engineered OS with custom silicon driving it, and one that isn't. ;-)

...and is adding storage still necessary? Really? In 2014 and all the cloud solutions on tap?

Yea yes. There's "the fappening" as you so poetically put it, but that's resolved with competent pass wording.
    Seriously. Am I really supposed to upload and stream my 20GB of media to and from a cloud everytime I want to consume it? That's just beyond me, really. Not everybody has unlimited data, not everywhere is LTE available and on top it drains the battery.

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko and MarsupilamiX like this.
    09-16-14 05:39 AM
    If Apple were concerned about their customers needs they would have bailed BlackBerry out

Posted via CB10

And yet, a reputation for poor battery life doesn't seem to have affected Apple's sales ... At all. I expect it's due to them all being mindless iSheep an' all.

Also, given the frequent posts I see here regarding the Z10's poor battery life, I'm unsure of BB's grounds for boasting.

I regularly got many days out of my Torch. Of course that was when BB really could boast about battery life.
    09-16-14 05:45 AM

...and is adding storage still necessary? Really? In 2014 and all the cloud solutions on tap?
    Until they find a way to store big apps off device without using crazy data, then yes. At least for me.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 08:01 AM
    And yet, a reputation for poor battery life doesn't seem to have affected Apple's sales ... At all. I expect it's due to them all being mindless iSheep an' all.

Also, given the frequent posts I see here regarding the Z10's poor battery life, I'm unsure of BB's grounds for boasting.

I regularly got many days out of my Torch. Of course that was when BB really could boast about battery life.
    BlackBerry is not boasting about battery life.

OTOH every model after is getting true better performance and Chen is clear superior battery performance will be a hallmark of all new BlackBerry models.

Only apple could get away with saying battery at least as good aa our last models wall hugging standard. That takes balls

Try this.....

The new BB Z40 with battery life at least as good as the Z10

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    09-16-14 09:02 AM
    Can't agree with that. Again, getting everything into consideration I'm okay with BlackBerrys pricing, since they maintain their own OS and with their QWERTY line of phones pretty much have very custom designed and engineered phones without much scale. I'm okay with that and I'm okay from that PoV with Apple's pricing as well. Difference is that BlackBerry always ships just ONE model with a fix amount of storage and a micro sd slot and charges XXX for it. Apple on the other hand, instead of getting you X storage capacity that's enough for everybody and charging you XXX dollars for it, makes up three variants for no other purpose other than double and triple milking their customers out of pure and total marketing. I'm in matketing myself and while Apple's strategy here is simply genius and probably and obviously the right thing from a business perspective, it's still screwing people over. Same of course as the BlackBerry PlayBook pricing, that was the same.

Concerning 128GB sd cards, yeah those cost over 100 bucks, but at least they're independent from phones and interchangeable. And you have that storage on top of you phones internal storage, which makes 150GB total for a Passport. See it like this: the Passport will be priced like the 16GB iPhone 6 or lower. Add that 128GB sd card and you have more storage for less then an 128GB iPhone 6 and on top you can take that card out and put it in the phone you buy after that.

Posted via CB10
    Nah, BlackBerry's relative pricing is definitely worse. Like, there is currently no other manufacturer who got the pricing THAT wrong.
    Worst ecosystem, worst customer service, worst app store and worst touchscreen flagship in the whole marketplace.
    BlackBerry is basically so far behind in those basic categories, that every flagship device from BlackBerry will be overpriced compared to the rest of the market.

I agree with the point on expandable storage though. It's pretty much the only thing that keeps me from upgrading to the iPhone 6+.
    Cloud storage is no substitute for a 64GB+ card that works offline, per drag&drop, on all devices with a usb port/card reader and can be swapped from device to device.

It just doesn't compare in the slightest, and having the option for expandable storage is probably a must for me when I consider a new device.

BlackBerry is not boasting about battery life.

OTOH every model after is getting true better performance and Chen is clear superior battery performance will be a hallmark of all new BlackBerry models.

Only apple could get away with saying battery at least as good aa our last models wall hugging standard. That takes balls

Try this.....

The new BB Z40 with battery life at least as good as the Z10

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    From a quick look, it seems that the iPhone 6+ performs just as well as the Z30, in terms of battery life.

So, I don't really get your point...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-16-14 09:16 AM

Every other phone apart from their first rushed device is their grounds for boasting.. no iPhone has ever been known for good battery life, and as for affecting sales depends what time period you're looking at, and what people are starting to value

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 09:20 AM
    Nah, BlackBerry's relative pricing is definitely worse. Like, there is currently no other manufacturer who got the pricing THAT wrong.
    Worst ecosystem, worst customer service, worst app store and worst touchscreen flagship in the whole marketplace.
    BlackBerry is basically so far behind in those basic categories, that every flagship device from BlackBerry will be overpriced compared to the rest of the market.

I agree with the point on expandable storage though. It's pretty much the only thing that keeps me from upgrading to the iPhone 6+.
    Cloud storage is no substitute for a 64GB+ card that works offline, per drag&drop, on all devices with a usb port/card reader and can be swapped from device to device.

It just doesn't compare in the slightest, and having the option for expandable storage is probably a must for me when I consider a new device.

From a quick look, it seems that the iPhone 6+ performs just as well as the Z30, in terms of battery life.

So, I don't really get your point...

Posted via CB10
    What exactly do you mean when you talk about an 'ecosystem' and how BlackBerry is worse? Apps? Accessories?

And wait until you've used both or until there are more reviews about the iPhone 6+ then you'll see why

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 09:23 AM
    Every other phone apart from their first rushed device is their grounds for boasting.. no iPhone has ever been known for good battery life, and as for affecting sales depends what time period you're looking at, and what people are starting to value

Posted via CB10

I reckon you and me must be looking at different sales stats.

Apple have sold more phones every year since 2007 on the figures I have. There's no evidence that anyone is ceasing to buy iPhones by the hundreds of millions *every* year - instead the opposite is true.

Apple have pre-orders for 4M iPhone6's in 24 hours, coincidentally (iirc) that's the shortfall BB needs to make up this quarter if Chen's 10M/year target is to be met.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-16-14 09:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Every single iPhone, sold more often than the previous one.
    Despite the wall hugging claims.
    I'd like to see the time period where people have foregone to get an iPhone, because of the battery.

Actually, it'll be impossible for you find such a period, because Apple sells more iPhones than ever.

What exactly do you mean when you talk about an 'ecosystem' and how BlackBerry is worse? Apps? Accessories?

And wait until you've used both or until there are more reviews about the iPhone 6+ then you'll see why

Posted via CB10
    Do I need to define ecosystem for you?
    If yes, I understand why you wouldn't understand how BlackBerry is light years behind in that category.
    (But an ecosystem goes from accessories,to apps, to services; over other devices you can seamlessly connect to, which might run the same services/apps as your phone. iPay being the newest addition to the Apple ecosystem, for example.)
    If I honestly have to explain you, why BlackBerry is light years behind in terms of ecosystem and apps, then we might have a more fundamental problem than your hatred for Apple.

Apple is very conservative with their stated battery life, so I don't quite get your statement here as well.
    You can be sure that the iPhone will at least attain the stated battery life, if it doesn't exceed it, as we have seen with their other products (MacBook, iPad).

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, MikeX74 and Bsbudd like this.
    09-16-14 09:46 AM
    I reckon you and me must be looking at different sales stats.

Apple have sold more phones every year since 2007 on the figures I have. There's no evidence that anyone is ceasing to buy iPhones by the hundreds of millions *every* year - instead the opposite is true.

Apple have pre-orders for 4M iPhone6's in 24 hours, coincidentally (iirc) that's the shortfall BB needs to make up this quarter if Chen's 10M/year target is to be met.
    It's funny listening to people say that Apple are gonna lose market share. The same was said last year.

They then sold 9 million devices in a weekend. As in 3 days at the very most! I would honestly like to see ANY product that sells that much in that short of a time frame.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-16-14 09:51 AM
    It's funny listening to people say that Apple are gonna lose market share. The same was said last year.

They then sold 9 million devices in a weekend. As in 3 days at the very most! I would honestly like to see ANY product that sells that much in that short of a time frame.
    Semantically those people are correct though.
    Apple lost and probably loses marketshare by the minute.

But not because they sell less phones, but because the overall market growth is just so fast.
    It doesn't change the facts that:

1) Apple sells more of each newer iPhone model, than they did with their previous model.

2) Apple has the single most selling phone on the planet.

3) Apple owns the biggest share of the profits made with mobile devices.

4) Apple sells more phones in a weekend, than BlackBerry has to sell this quarter to attain the 10M sales mark a year.

Posted via CB10
    Yatezy, Issa-7, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    09-16-14 09:59 AM
    Every single iPhone, sold more often than the previous one.
    Despite the wall hugging claims.
    I'd like to see the time period where people have foregone to get an iPhone, because of the battery.

Actually, it'll be impossible for you find such a period, because Apple sells more iPhones than ever.

Do I need to define ecosystem for you?
    If yes, I understand why you wouldn't understand how BlackBerry is light years behind in that category.
    (But an ecosystem goes from accessories,to apps, to services; over other devices you can seamlessly connect to, which might run the same services/apps as your phone. iPay being the newest addition to the Apple ecosystem, for example.)
    If I honestly have to explain you, why BlackBerry is light years behind in terms of ecosystem and apps, then we might have a more fundamental problem than your hatred for Apple.

Apple is very conservative with their stated battery life, so I don't quite get your statement here as well.
    You can be sure that the iPhone will at least attain the stated battery life, if it doesn't exceed it, as we have seen with their other products (MacBook, iPad).

Posted via CB10
    I never related batter life to sales before you did, if however million customers are satisfied with wall hugging I've got no problem with that, but people I know with iPhones are starting to get tired of it..

FYI BlackBerry is attempting to create a multi platform ecosystem, yes they are late but thus means they can overcome the limitations of current standards.. people don't want to be stuck to ecosystems.. (notwithstanding that they still choose to be, because there's no alternative),

I don't hate Apple.. I disagree some if their products and some of their methods, but my life is too short to go around hating a company, which is meaningless because a company is always (hopefully) in a state of movement, the BlackBerry of pre-Chen is not the BlackBerry of Chen, the Apple of Steve is not the Apple of the new guy...

Classic example, Apple have clarified -albeit to the verge- what I suspected all along, they are bringing in NFC capability JUST for Apple pay, no stickers, no tags, no interacting with adverts, no payment system that isn't Apple pay.. http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/62...d-to-apple-pay

P.s I asked you to define ecosystem for you, not me, so that when I make comments about it I know we are talking about the same thing

P.p.s you asked where BlackBerry got of bosting simply on the fact that the Z10 has equally poor battery as 5s, nothing to do with sales, I was/am saying all devices post -Z10 are that reason, whatever the sales are because sales aren't just based on battery life..

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 298212
    Last edited by tinochiko; 09-16-14 at 04:32 PM.
    09-16-14 10:18 AM
    Semantically those people are correct though.
    Apple lost and probably loses marketshare by the minute.

But not because they sell less phones, but because the overall market growth is just so fast.
    It doesn't change the facts that:

1) Apple sells more of each newer iPhone model, than they did with their previous model.

2) Apple has the single most selling phone on the planet.

3) Apple owns the biggest share of the profits made with mobile devices.

4) Apple sells more phones in a weekend, than BlackBerry has to sell this quarter to attain the 10M sales mark a year.

Posted via CB10
    And BlackBerry is just fine, different companies, different agendas, I wouldn't call BlackBerry a niche yet until sales stabilise, but when it does it will be the Porsche if phones.. (partially literally )

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 10:23 AM
    Well BlackBerry did come up with a 'we are not phones' strategy recently so that helps. But apple isn't just phones either

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 11:33 AM
    Anybody with a Mac is doing themselves a serious disservice by not at least considering the iPhone. Especially with iOS 8 and Yosemite. The extensibility between the two is pretty astounding.

I have yet to see anything concrete about this "ecosystem" that blackberry has in mind. But I know that if the Android runtime is in any way involved, it's a nonstarter. (I can say that because I have a work-issued Z10.)
    boeingrules likes this.
    09-16-14 01:29 PM
    .... apple isn't just phones either

Posted via CB10
    No. Not by a longshot.
    shaleem likes this.
    09-16-14 01:30 PM
    Ecosystem= iTunes/iTunes Match, iCloud, App Store, Safari synced across devices, Photo stream across devices, etc
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-16-14 02:35 PM
    Ecosystem= iTunes/iTunes Match, iCloud, App Store, Safari synced across devices, Photo stream across devices, etc
    ... plus auto functionality, peripherals, smart home and wearables compatibility, etc, etc, etc.
    shaleem likes this.
    09-16-14 03:30 PM
    Blend/Android (and ios compatibility, Blend, Blend

Difference being Apple locks you into their ecosystem, i.e. if you want to switch to another phone/get another tablet/buy another laptop then your ecosystem is gone, BlackBerry wants to create a unified ecosystem so you can switch devices seamlessly but remain using their OS

Apples downfall is that the biggest predicted growth in smartphone market is in developing markets, where Internet is spreading at an increasing rate at cheaper prices (See Google Loon) and interestingly enough, these are the makers where BlackBerry has the majority of its market share, unless Apple decide to go really cheap on their devices, they're blocking themselves from real growth, whatever their current sales numbers are

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-16-14 04:30 PM
    No. Not by a longshot.
    Not as long shot as BlackBerry's portfolio

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 04:32 PM
    Anybody with a Mac is doing themselves a serious disservice by not at least considering the iPhone. Especially with iOS 8 and Yosemite. The extensibility between the two is pretty astounding.

I have yet to see anything concrete about this "ecosystem" that blackberry has in mind. But I know that if the Android runtime is in any way involved, it's a nonstarter. (I can say that because I have a work-issued Z10.)
    Blend doesn't require android runtime to function and works with both ios and android tablets regardless, so if you go with BlackBerry you can choose whatever laptop best suits your needs without having to worry about 'doing yourself a serious disservice

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-16-14 04:34 PM
    Apples downfall is that the biggest predicted growth in smartphone market is in developing markets, where Internet is spreading at an increasing rate at cheaper prices (See Google Loon) and interestingly enough, these are the makers where BlackBerry has the majority of its market share, unless Apple decide to go really cheap on their devices, they're blocking themselves from real growth, whatever their current sales numbers are
    Developing markets have plenty of middle class and affluent customers, too. It's far better to be a premium brand in those markets than to battle it out among low-cost Asian manufacturers running Android.
    09-16-14 04:39 PM
    Developing markets have plenty of middle class and affluent customers, too. It's far better to be a premium brand in those markets than to battle it out among low-cost Asian manufacturers running Android.
    But it's best to be active in both, Apple attempted to recognise that with the 5c but..
    Will the iPhone 6 make Passport DoA?-iphone-5c-meme_1.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 04:50 PM
    Can I just say, people keep claiming phones are aimed at different markets, but in all honesty, they are aimed at humans, not animals so it really is the same market

Posted via CB10
    This does not sound like somebody who understands business or marketing. No offense.