apple is bringing no innovation. stretching and enlarging a phone is not exactly a great improvement
    Like the passport you mean?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    09-06-14 05:57 AM
    in my opinion , 2 different demographics to sell to. One wont infringe on the other.
    I would think in some instances a certain type a owner may have both. depending on what they do.
    Like some people have a 4x4 truck for work and a nice car to drive on days off.
    09-06-14 06:16 AM
    Will the iPhone 6 make Passport DoA?-1410003071788_588462.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    09-06-14 06:32 AM
    Am I the only one that thinks "Marketing" will make the Passport DoA and not the iPhone? :P
    vinniesworld likes this.
    09-06-14 07:29 AM
    What are we considering DOA? It is not meant for the "consumer" market.

Q10, N5, N10.
    09-06-14 07:44 AM
    What are we considering DOA? It is not meant for the "consumer" market.

Q10, N5, N10.
    Whenever a product flops that's the excuse used to try a stay relevant, but the fact is everything is for the consumer market.
    09-06-14 07:46 AM
    One is really intended for specific niches, one is intended to be mass market.

People are so obsessed with how it will sell relative to the best selling phone model ... like if the iPhone sells 45 million units its first weekend, the Passport will never sell a single solitary unit the entire time its in released.

Really, that doesn't matter. Passport needs to sell enough to turn a profit for BlackBerry, not outsell Apple. End of story.
    09-06-14 07:53 AM
    Whenever a product flops that's the excuse used to try a stay relevant, but the fact is everything is for the consumer market.
    I dunno, unless you have a really broad definition of "consumer" as everyone who ever could want a phone.

I think of it more like - is it a device for work or a personal device. Some, like the iPhone, absolutely can be both and are intended as such. For me, Passport doesn't at all strike me as a personal device. It looks like it's meant for the people I see on the GO TRAIN every morning heading to downtown Toronto - who look at emails, slides, articles for their job and take calls. I actually see plenty of Q10s with that group now and expect that Passport's will appear on the Train soon too.

Everyone knows that it won't sell as well as the iPhone 6 or Galaxy and it's unrealistic to expect it to.

It needs to sell enough, so BlackBerry can keep making more phones. If they get the volume they need to keep making more phones through their corporate channels and corporate users, great. Maybe between this and the Z3 and sales of legacy older devices, they'll get to that 2.5 million units sold/per quarter to continue making hardware.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 09-06-14 at 09:33 AM.
    09-06-14 07:56 AM
    passport is DOA even if the 5S was the last iphone ever.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-06-14 09:56 AM
    I'm switching to the iPhone 6 since my BlackBerry doesn't have the apps I need. Having said that, I'm going to activate my Bold 9900 again and use it as a companion to the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 09:58 AM
    Never in the history of modern civilization has 1 man ruled the world, has one company ruled the market. Here is what will happen over the next 5 years. Apple and Android will start losing market share. It could be to BB, WP and others. Why? Simply this! Have you worn the same brand if shoes, pants, shirts since birth? Have you driven the same make and model of car year after year......except for a very few the answer is no! We are approaching the iphone 6.....Apple will have a great release once again, but if BlackBerry returns to profit, and continues to improve BB10, well I believe BlackBerry can have a major resurgence. People here talk about the popularity of the iphone, ipad. What BlackBerry has is QNX. Now QNX is already embedded in many system controls over the last 25 years with an impressive reliability record. This is where BlackBerry is going to take BB10 which is based on QNX And tie everything together. From the health care equipment running on QNX, to power plants, to your automobiles. It's going to be built in deep integration. This won't just be by your phone.....Blend will allow this to be brought to any tablet and any pc. Can most of you not see the cross platform advantage of this? As a company owner I can use my existing computers be they Windows or Macs. We can use our tablet of choice, be they ipads, playbooks, android or windows......so Apple walks through the door, they tell me I have to upgrade everything to Apple for this to work, BlackBerry says here's BES12 and Blend......let's get started!

Posted via CB10
    Of all the tech things I read about, outside of crackberry, QNX is barely mentioned. I know about it solely because of this website. Yes it maybe the future of Blackberry but it is very much not going to be a selling point of their phones. Try explaining that to a customer! QNX may run in cars but Apple has put a name to it, so people will ask for that.

And regarding all the hype about it running power plants and chemical plants, these are still run by humans esp older ones. I know this because I'm sat here typing this in one of them chemical plants Just had a Google at the software we use to run our plants and it is QNX based, not once have I ever heard the engineers refer to it as that. It's only ever referred to it as it's brand name.

One thing I would say that will knock Apple off its top is the next major change in mobile communication. Something that makes our current smartphones seem dumb, a next gen phone so to speak.
    Last edited by Yatezy; 09-06-14 at 11:05 AM.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-06-14 10:44 AM
    passport is DOA even if the 5S was the last iphone ever.
    Honestly, it depends on the company's definition of DOA. Every BB10 device ever released is probably DOA by Samsung, Microsoft, HP, many tech followers, etc. standards; but the important part is that none of this matters to Blackberry. If Blackberry wants to keep making phones then its no one else's business as long as it can afford to.
    09-06-14 11:10 AM
    Honestly, it depends on the company's definition of DOA. Every BB10 device ever released is probably DOA by Samsung, Microsoft, HP, many tech followers, etc. standards; but the important part is that none of this matters to Blackberry. If Blackberry wants to keep making phones then its no one else's business as long as it can afford to.
    right, but you only get so many chances. Chen stopped the bleeding, but in order to start the healing, he needs to create a device that's going to appeal to the masses, because in the business world, people don't want to carry two phones.
    09-06-14 11:16 AM
    because in the business world, people don't want to carry two phones.
    In some cases, they don't have a choice. Some corporations want (and need) the security and want control over what of their IP is on a mobile device and will not allow a BYOD policy. Likewise the device they issue may be so locked down that it can't really be used as a personal device. This applies to really any phone from any platform in these scenarios.
    09-06-14 11:22 AM
    I'm not saying that Blackberry doesn't have a target market in mind for the Passport. I'm saying that if a company releases a product solely for a target market they'd better hope they already have that market in the bag. Otherwise, they'll be using the line "Tools not toys" or "For the Prosumer" to cover the fact that nobody wants their product. So the iPhone 6 won't be as detrimental to the success of the Passport as the marketing department will.
    09-06-14 12:20 PM
    No. Passport's success or failure will have nothing to do with how well the iPhone 6 does. Completely different market.

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    09-06-14 03:40 PM
    IMO, the passport isn't a competitor of the iphone 6. In one week, Apple will probably sell more than BBRY in a year.

The Passport is made for the folks that like keyboards or the ones that are tired of using a virtual keyboard or the ones that want something different.

I think the passport is going to be a great phone, but comparing it to the iPhone 6 isn't fair. Apple can sell a potato with the apple logo on it and it will still out sell blackberry by millions.

So no, the passport won't be DoA, because it's not intended for the same customers.

Posted via CB10
    Fair points, but not everything Apple puts out sells.
    09-06-14 03:53 PM
    Can I just say, people keep claiming phones are aimed at different markets, but in all honesty, they are aimed at humans, not animals so it really is the same market

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 03:58 PM
    No, the iPhone 6 will be for those users that already have an iPhone and cannot bring themselves to shift anywhere else. Like a 50yr old marriage. Apple are also not exactly reinventing the wheel with the iPhone 6, it's just a bigger version of the previous version with features they claim they have innovated that have actually been innovated years before just without the 'Apple Approval'

The passport isn't competing for Apple customers. BlackBerry are still in their niche market and are still levelled near the corporate market.

I think sometimes people emphasise on the iPhone too much like it's a brand new never seen before handset that's going to kill all it's rivals. While that may have been so when the iPhone was first released it is not so anymore. Though Apple users still like to think this is the case.
    09-06-14 05:41 PM
    Can I just say, people keep claiming phones are aimed at different markets, but in all honesty, they are aimed at humans, not animals so it really is the same market

Posted via CB10
    At the end of the day, I like to say everybody is a consumer, so there is some truth in what you say.
    09-06-14 06:33 PM
    So I red trough this thread and since I finally reached its end, I will now state what I think about the matter. First of let me state that I am a happy user of MacBook and iPod, unfortunately increasingly unhappy with what ties them together - iTunes. I also admire work that Jobs have done back in late 90's when he turned around dying Apple. The company was then in pretty much same situation BB is facing now, with possible exception that apple was back then facing only one competitor (MS).
    Now John Chen is doing steps very similar to what Steve have done back then.

First of all there are apps. I am a bit skeptical about this partnership with Amazon, but have to agree that it is perhaps only way how to settle this challenge quickly. However in longer terms they have yet to figure out own developers program.

So for now John has to focus on those, who already have older BB device and wish to upgrade. With limited resources he has first to address those pros with bolds and 9970 so hence goes Q20. He also needs his user-base to grow so here goes Z3 Jakarta and whole Foxcon partnership (Analogy in Apple turnaround would be the original iMac and deal with... surprise surprise... Foxcon). With limited resources there is no point in making new all-touch device high-end because those, who wanted one in recent time have already bought Z30.
    Now the passport: In my view it is niche product, that will not sell in great numbers - But it is one that will be noticed and will remind the world that BB is sill here and has balls to do things with its own attitude. And as it has been stated here before it is more about inventory risk management than overall numbers to make device segment profitable again.

Other things BB should do is to introduce periodical refresh rate for its products perhaps introducing alongside Q20 new Z30x (think like iPhone S versions) with slightly upgraded CPU and also make Jakarta Z3 EU edition with slightly more powerful cpu, IPS and better camera. Also they should ASAP open direct selling chanell on its national websites at least here in Europe.

Bottom line: I thing that Blackberry may be able to turn around and even atract few new consumers if they get the "old OS" base to new devices, will clearly declare support cycles. Also lets not forget that there is a lot of potential for mid-end growth in segment because, lets be honest, Android is just a pile of crap, which only happens to have lots of apps.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    09-06-14 07:05 PM
    No, the iPhone 6 will be for those users that already have an iPhone and cannot bring themselves to shift anywhere else. Like a 50yr old marriage. Apple are also not exactly reinventing the wheel with the iPhone 6, it's just a bigger version of the previous version with features they claim they have innovated that have actually been innovated years before just without the 'Apple Approval'

The passport isn't competing for Apple customers. BlackBerry are still in their niche market and are still levelled near the corporate market.

I think sometimes people emphasise on the iPhone too much like it's a brand new never seen before handset that's going to kill all it's rivals. While that may have been so when the iPhone was first released it is not so anymore. Though Apple users still like to think this is the case.
    Whilst I agree that a lot of Apple users will upgrade, I think a hell of a lot will move from Android and other OSes. I think a lot of current Android users moved towards the larger screen. If Apple offers this then I reckon it'll bring a hell of a lot of people back.

I'd place a lot of money (if I had any), if the rumours of larger screen and camera are true, that this iPhone will completely destroy all records.

Any phone released around the same time is gonna be completely overshadowed,
    09-06-14 07:12 PM
    They won't even be competing for the same customers. I think the people who are currently aware of and interested in the Passport are not going to be swayed by the iPhone 6. One will have very little effect on the other.

Posted via CB10
    This is me. Now I'm knowledgeable of the Passport and I really do want one to follow up to the Q10 I currently have. BUT I live in the states and Blackberry's approach to the launch of this device(the rumors of January release, the BB10 "wave" of release dates, and the little no carrier support) is driving me away and ultimately pushing me towards another device which may in turn be a iPhone 6. BB's severed ties with T-mobile also effected me to the point where my only way of getting a BB would be through Wind Mobile in Canada(whom of which was reported to not carry the Passport). That leaves me with ShopBlackberry left. Which means price is now crucial in my decision. Rumors of $760...$700+ price tags are not ideal for me for a phone(it isn't that serious to me as a consumer).

This is my CONSUMER point of view and my current situation coming into this launch.
    09-06-14 07:54 PM
    You are in denial.. my mistake it is 97% not 96%
    Apple's Enterprise Sales: 'Unbelievable' - Business Insider
    LOL you are not reading that correctly.

"The iPhone IS USED in 97% of the Fortune 500, and 91% of the Global 500".

Doesn't say how much per company. Here's a stat for you: Urinals are used in 100% of Fortune500 and Global500.

Posted via CB10
    ladeberry likes this.
    09-06-14 08:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hyundays and Mercedes are also aimed at humans, but I don't see those two brands in the same market.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    09-06-14 11:17 PM
305 ... 23456 ...