i just bought a VZW 8330 on ebay to replace my wife's aging alltel 8330. i had to hack her phone to get GPS working since alltel crippled it, but i'm wondering if i'll need to do the same on her new phone. most of the posts on the subject here are a year or two old, so i'm not sure if GPS crippling is still the policy at VZW or if it will matter with a 5.0 leak. thx.
    07-27-10 02:27 PM
    The GPS will not work on a VZW BB 8330 w/OS 5.0. I have a VZW BB 8330 w/OS 5.0 and no GPS, except for VZNavigator. I deleted BB maps to save memory since is was useless.
    07-27-10 04:56 PM
    On 5.0, the GPS on the Verizon 8330 will work with BBMaps and VZNavigator without any "hacks".

It will not work with other applications.
    07-27-10 05:04 PM
    On 5.0, the GPS on the Verizon 8330 will work with BBMaps and VZNavigator without any "hacks".

It will not work with other applications.
    You can use BB maps to look for things, but the 'follow me' or 'locate me' will not work because VZW only enabled GPS for VZNavigator. It used to work for BB maps back in Dec 09 or Jan 10 for a short period of time, but no more.
    Last edited by jbarbero; 07-27-10 at 05:15 PM.
    07-27-10 05:07 PM
    Google Maps puts you in the area of where you are but it doesn't pin point your exact location.
    07-28-10 07:04 AM
    thanks for the replies. looks like i need to dig up my "uncrippling the gps" how-to.
    07-28-10 09:03 AM
    As Motorcycle Mama correctly noted, no uncrippling is needed to use BBMaps, VZNav, Bing, and Verizon's social app (I forget what it is called.). There is nothing you can do to enable the GPS to be used with any other apps. The techniques you used with Alltel will not work.
    07-28-10 10:28 AM
    As Motorcycle Mama correctly noted, no uncrippling is needed to use BBMaps, VZNav, Bing, and Verizon's social app (I forget what it is called.). There is nothing you can do to enable the GPS to be used with any other apps. The techniques you used with Alltel will not work.
    Despite what the last few posts say, I do not believe you can use BBMaps nor Bing to navigate. When I tried it with BBMaps it errored saying it could not lock on GPS. Has anyone tried this recently?
    07-28-10 10:45 AM
    Despite what the last few posts say, I do not believe you can use BBMaps nor Bing to navigate. When I tried it with BBMaps it errored saying it could not lock on GPS. Has anyone tried this recently?
    The 8330 GPS only works in Assisted GPS mode, so if you don't have a cell signal, it won't lock on to the GPS. Could that be the cause of the problem you see? I no longer have an older device to test with.
    07-28-10 11:02 AM
    The 8330 GPS only works in Assisted GPS mode, so if you don't have a cell signal, it won't lock on to the GPS. Could that be the cause of the problem you see? I no longer have an older device to test with.
    Even if you have a cell signal, it won't lock on to the GPS. GPS is disabled except for VZNavigator. I believe it has to do with the Service Books.
    07-28-10 05:08 PM
    Interesting. It worked on my 8830 until I replaced it with a 9630 a year ago. I'd be surprised if it was a Service Book restriction though. That would be too easy to defeat, and many people tried before Verizon finally partially opened it up. I'm sorry to hear it isn't working now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 05:19 PM
    I know that a person with an Alltel 8330 that has been converted to Verizon can use her BBMaps to navigate. I believe that it has to do with the way Verizon handles Alltel phones on their network, hence my guess at the service books.
    But in all honesty idk, just a guess.
    07-28-10 05:25 PM
    I've got a 5.0 hybrid on a VZW 8330. BBMaps hasn't worked since I upgraded to any version of 5.0.
    Can anyone confirm that VZNav works on VZW 8330 w/ 5.0?

07-28-10 06:28 PM
    I've got a 5.0 hybrid on a VZW 8330. BBMaps hasn't worked since I upgraded to any version of 5.0.
    Can anyone confirm that VZNav works on VZW 8330 w/ 5.0?

Personal experience: VZNav works on a VZW 8330 w/OS 5.0

07-28-10 06:46 PM
    I have Verizon and have no problem with bb maps. It is a little off but will get you there!

07-28-10 08:28 PM
    I left my faithful Verizon 8330 behind a few weeks ago for a 9650. I was running OS 4.7 and GPS worked with BBMaps including tracking location. What it did not do was issue turn-by turn directions and perform other full-featured GPS functions, for which you need a paid VZW Navigator account.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-29-10 08:00 AM
    Thanks for confirming BBMaps works on the 8330 the way I knew it used to. That doesn't explain why it doesn't work for Jbarbero, but it should be good news for other folks.

07-29-10 08:41 AM
    Personal experience: VZNav works on a VZW 8330 w/OS 5.0

That's all I needed to know from this fourm, thank you! Getting one, a 8330 for vz, next week.

07-29-10 11:42 AM
    That's all I needed to know from this fourm, thank you! Getting one, a 8330 for vz, next week.

BBMaps on my 8330 did work like jbeachy stated. It would not do anything that required GPS. Basically it was just a mapping app. It used to give you turn by turn directions several months ago, it does not do that. I use VZNav.
    07-29-10 11:56 AM
    BBMaps on my 8330 did work like jbeachy stated. It would not do anything that required GPS. Basically it was just a mapping app. It used to give you turn by turn directions several months ago, it does not do that. I use VZNav.
    Right! I use VzNav as well. Always have, but I tried to be cheap and use bbmaps b4 and I was done. Thought I could do without the turn by turn, but cool.

07-29-10 02:30 PM
    Okay, so VZNav is working with my 5.0 hybrid, but it only works once.
    What I mean is, after a fresh boot, it works fine. If I close it and then try to open it again, the GPS won't connect to the satelites and eventually times out.

My guess is VZNav doesn't really "release" the connection when I close it, but then when I open it again, it's competing with itself for a connection.

That happened a bunch of times with BBMaps on 4.5, but oddly, if I cleared the Event Log, it would reconnect. That's not working this time.

Any ideas?
    08-01-10 07:18 PM
    What's your free mem? Another hint is once you open VZNav, don't close it just exit out w/the red button. I've actually had better luck w/ v438.11.

08-01-10 07:27 PM
    What's your free mem? Another hint is once you open VZNav, don't close it just exit out w/the red button. I've actually had better luck w/ v438.11.

Free mem is about 24mb, which isn't bad.
    Red button won't really close it, it just "minimizes" it (to use a Windows term). It'll keep using memory and battery in the background.

I've read in a few other forums that even doing that, once you open it back up, it won't connect again.

Just looked at BBTweaks. Haven't seen much feedback on 438.11, so I'm holding off a bit.

The VIPs were reporting some 6.0 problems with 438.11, so I want to see what happens when more people use it.
    08-01-10 08:17 PM
    Free mem is about 24mb, which isn't bad.
    Red button won't really close it, it just "minimizes" it (to use a Windows term). It'll keep using memory and battery in the background.

I've read in a few other forums that even doing that, once you open it back up, it won't connect again.

Just looked at BBTweaks. Haven't seen much feedback on 438.11, so I'm holding off a bit.

The VIPs were reporting some 6.0 problems with 438.11, so I want to see what happens when more people use it.
    I know pushing the red button doesn't close the app. I'm recommending that you keep it in the background if your going to be using it. This has worked for me using v438.11 the past two weeks. It still works when mem drops into the teens. This has been my experience. I have found VZNav worked better w/ v438.11 than w/ v438.10. Before you discount what I recommend you should try v438.11. You can always go back v438.10 if you don't like it.

08-01-10 09:13 PM
    downloaded v438.11. Reinstalled VZNAV, done bat pulls. Same problem. VZNAV works once, the chokes on aquiring satellites.
    08-11-10 02:11 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD