I like the interface better than the BB maps except for the fact that I cannot locate a point from my contact list. But do you ever think it will work with the GPS. "My location" is pretty far off when it uses the trianglation or whatever it uses.
    02-06-09 06:49 PM
    There have been posts on this forum about how google has been working on an updated version for the storm, but then there have also been a few posts about how google isn't going to be updating google maps for the blackberry storm. So in all honesty it is unknown at this point, i am in the same boat as you, i love google maps, its feature rich and it should be standard on all PDA's IMO
    02-06-09 06:52 PM
    I like the interface better than the BB maps except for the fact that I cannot locate a point from my contact list. But do you ever think it will work with the GPS. "My location" is pretty far off when it uses the trianglation or whatever it uses.
    Asked already many times.

Answered already many times.

No one knows for sure except Google.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/go...happen-136617/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/go...titude-151778/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ge...-storm-153810/

Edit: and it does work on the 9500 Storm or the 9530 on GSM, so I assume you mean 9530 on VZW.
    02-06-09 06:52 PM
    Am I missing something? Gmaps works on my phone. Location, directions. Etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 07:26 PM
    Am I missing something? Gmaps works on my phone. Location, directions. Etc.

Gmaps works but does not utilize the Storm's GPS. See: Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help
    02-06-09 07:28 PM
    All it does right now is triangulate your position between cell towers giving you an accuracy between 500 and 3500 meters. It works, its just not very accurate.

02-06-09 07:29 PM
    All it does right now is triangulate your position between cell towers giving you an accuracy between 500 and 3500 meters. It works, its just not very accurate.

My Location Beta currently only uses one tower and relative power/distance to that tower. Technically not triangulation using multiple towers at a time.
    02-06-09 07:34 PM
    If you put your storm in "GSM" network mode (ya, I know it kills the phone functions), the GPS works instantly and beautifully.
    02-06-09 07:37 PM
    If you put your storm in "GSM" network mode (ya, I know it kills the phone functions), the GPS works instantly and beautifully.
    Did it, It does work but it will not load the map.
    02-06-09 07:51 PM
    Did it, It does work but it will not load the map.
    If you don't have GSM service, your phone won't have a data connection to pull map data.

This does show that the GPS works with Google Maps, just not on CDMA service (as posted on the main Google Maps thread, probably because Google needs to change their code to fall back on GPS if aGPS is not available and not jump directly to using My Location Beta).
    02-06-09 08:16 PM
    there is a discusson on howard forums on how to get it to work on Verizons CDMA network, but requires serious software tinkering..

If you have an unlocked storm working on ATT etc..it does work with GPS
    02-06-09 08:43 PM
    there is a discusson on howard forums on how to get it to work on Verizons CDMA network, but requires serious software tinkering..

If you have an unlocked storm working on ATT etc..it does work with GPS
    Can you give a link?
    02-06-09 08:44 PM
    Just got back from search on HF for that thread, I feel dirty now.
    I could not find it. Any link would be appreciated.
    02-06-09 10:07 PM
    Below is a link to the official discussion at google. A google employee basically states that they are working on it. This was way back in November.
    Since Google is pretty much the best of the best at what they do, this leads me to believe that this is a really complicated technical issue, or there could be some licensing hangups.

Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help

02-06-09 10:19 PM
    I've been guessing it's a licensing issue since every mom and pop GPS app works on the Storm and if you use it on a gsm network the GPS works with Google Maps.

02-07-09 02:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD