Sometimes I'm in the middle of a video and I forget to switch WiFi on. If a youtube video is playing and in the middle of you switch WiFi on and it attaches to an access point, does it start using WiFi?

Or does it have to finish doing the first thing using data and then the next thing you load start using WiFi?
    05-02-15 06:18 PM
    Not sure. I know if wifi cuts out it switches seamlessly to the wireless network. Try switching off your wireless and see if the video stops.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 10:33 PM
    From what I've seen, switching data types in the middle of something will mess up that connection. It has to reload whatever it was doing. Whether it's playing a video, or loading a website, if the phone loses wi-fi and switches to mobile, or vice versa, it will fail on that loading and a simple re-load will bring it back.

Reason has to do with the IP address you have while doing what you're doing. The device and website connect to each other based on the IP you have. While on wi-fi, the router you're connected to assigns an IP address to you. While loading a web page, or playing a video, the connection is maintained between those two IP addresses. If you suddenly lose the wi-fi, your phone switches to mobile and now you have a totally different IP address. If you were in the middle of communications with the Web site at the time of the switch, the website would lose you because the IP address it was connected to is now gone. Once you re-establish a new connection with the new address, then you can continue on with what you were doing. If it was a video, you would have to restart it.

You probably wouldn't notice if you were on a static web page - reading a forum message for example - when the switch happened. Because the next thing you would do would re-establish the connection with the new IP with the next click on the page you might do.

Make sense? I don't know if I described it right. Someone else may know better than me about that though. But that's been my experience because I have walked out of range of my work wi-fi while doing something.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 12:05 AM