I disagree with Kevin and all the other Mods.

CrackBerry WILL shut down and RIM WILL stop making phones.

Just not in my lifetime .

CrackBerry and BlackBerry, one of this planet's truly great combos.

LOL!!!!!
    07-01-10 02:36 PM
    With Kevin showing up I think I understand where he's coming from, especially since Nokia doesn't have a large presence in the US market as it used to, as new phones have been coming in and dominating it's space for a few years now.

At least it's safe to say "No", for now. Hopefully, when RIM brings out a phone that can compete with everything coming out lately, I will decide to switch back. I am not a business user, so I hope you see where I am coming from. Keyboard and email mean nothing to me.
    07-01-10 03:00 PM
    "No, Never" is the correct answer. CrackBerry will be here for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years to come.

Thank you!

Glad to see the confidence in the leadership! I CB has become my most visited forum, and would be upset to see it go, I don't See RIM going anywhere in the near future as Kevin Pointed out.

I'm kind of on AG's side with the Nokia guy, he could have ported his forum over to a much cheaper hosting site if he felt that it was going to be a dying forum as Nokia started to lose market share, or he could have looked for someone to buy/take over the site, with it's exisiting user base. lots of options before just shutting down a site because one is upset. Nokia isn't going anywhere in the near future either. though I do hope RIM is able to take them on for the top spot in the next 5 years GO Team RIM
    07-01-10 03:06 PM
    What is even worse is this crybaby is upset with Nokia and decided to penalize
    ALL of the people who used the site as if his opinion was God given law.

The guy lacks any sense of ethics, maturity or decency.
    You took the words right out of my mouth, well said...
    07-01-10 03:14 PM
    Why be quick to judge the guy, when he's speaking the truth? He puts his time and money into a site... And clear he seeing that the company nokia is not making an effort to change. He personally is moving to a different phone. I think he did the right thing. Why continue to invest time and money into something you clearly no longer have interest in?
    I am judging the guy because he is a whiny little pissant who has decided that
    Nokia does not blow his hair back any more so all the followers of the site have
    to suffer for his "truth."

He can move on all he wants, but a bigger person would have sold / turned the
    site over to someone who has the drive and passion to make it work.
    07-01-10 03:15 PM
    I hope this never happens !!!
    07-01-10 03:15 PM
    Yeah, I was shocked that the guy is closing down the Nokia site. Didn't that have a ton of users? I think it was a mean thing to do. Yes, he could have moved onto Android but it would have been better to sell the site to someone else who would have kept it up. It seems like a bad idea just to abandon all those users and get rid of a good resource.

I know Kevin would not do that. If he DID want out (highly doubtful) then I'm sure he'd make arrangements to keep this place going by someone else.
    07-01-10 03:26 PM
    Yeah, I was shocked that the guy is closing down the Nokia site. Didn't that have a ton of users? I think it was a mean thing to do. Yes, he could have moved onto Android but it would have been better to sell the site to someone else who would have kept it up. It seems like a bad idea just to abandon all those users and get rid of a good resource.
    I think the only possible way to have kept that site going would have been to sell it to someone in Europe or Asia. Symbian only has 2% of the market share of smartphones in the USA. iPhone vs. Android | Nielsen Wire
    It would be hard to find somebody else in the USA willing to spend money on it, and I have no idea how difficult it would have been to sell the site to someone overseas.
    07-01-10 03:53 PM
    I know I shouldn't be, but I have to admit that I am, so often AMAZED at the various ways people can imply--either directly or indirectly--that RIM is doomed for failure. This is but another one, started by a Jesus Phone user, and the question is absolutely ridiculous. I wonder if Apple's site will ever close down?
    07-01-10 04:02 PM
    I know I shouldn't be, but I have to admit that I am, so often AMAZED at the various ways people can imply--either directly or indirectly--that RIM is doomed for failure. This is but another one, started by a Jesus Phone user, and the question is absolutely ridiculous. I wonder if Apple's site will ever close down?
    You are really reaching here.

1) The "Jesus phone" comment speaks more to your ridiculousness than the
    question posed by the user, regardless of what they use.

2) The question as posed did not mention the demise of RIM or BlackBerry in
    any way whatsoever.

3) Regardless of the phone the OP uses they are a member and they asked
    a legitimate question based on what transpired on another popular site
    for cellular users.

4) If it becomes a RIM / BlackBerry demise question it is because
    YOU just made it one. Nice going.
    07-01-10 04:14 PM
    . Just wanted to know your thoughts on sites like Symbian-Guru whom have a strong following, but fizzle because their handsets, and it makes me wonder about the Blackberry handsets and the future for RIM and Crackberry.

You are really reaching here.

1) The "Jesus phone" comment speaks more to your ridiculousness than the
    question posed by the user, regardless of what they use.

2) The question as posed did not mention the demise of RIM or BlackBerry in
    any way whatsoever.

3) Regardless of the phone the OP uses they are a member and they asked
    a legitimate question based on what transpired on another popular site
    for cellular users.

4) If it becomes a RIM / BlackBerry demise question it is because
    YOU just made it one. Nice going
    Actually the OP really did mention Blackberry and RIM in his first post...
    the comparison to the Symbian phones fizzling out.... why would he
    wonder if Crackberry was going to go away, unless it was because he is
    suggesting that RIM and Blackberry also are going to fizzle out?

(I hate the Jesus phone comment too... but this thread is another example
    of exBlackberry users posting junk threads.)
    07-01-10 06:11 PM
    Excellent conversation here. I for one am going back to BB soon (Storm2 to be exact as of next week). I can't say I won't ever use or by an iphone, especially since it may coming to Verizon at the end of the year. I feel bad though for Symbian users; I don't know what I would do without CB. I've learned so much here over the last 2-3 years, even about the other phones out there as well..
    07-01-10 06:28 PM
    I don't think so Tim!
    07-01-10 06:39 PM
    Actually the OP really did mention Blackberry and RIM in his first post...
    the comparison to the Symbian phones fizzling out.... why would he
    wonder if Crackberry was going to go away, unless it was because he is
    suggesting that RIM and Blackberry also are going to fizzle out?
    Read it again. Nothing in there even comes close to intimating the imminent
    demise of RIM or the BlackBerry brand. Nothing. The question was whether
    what happened to one extremely popular site could happen to an even more popular
    site. Good God, that should be obvious.

(I hate the Jesus phone comment too... but this thread is another example
    of exBlackberry users posting junk threads.)
    "Junk thread" is your opinion but that does not make it so. The question is
    completely legitimate. Well, except to the hyper-sensitive BB users who
    take umbrage with anything they may feel besmirches the brand that they
    have loyalty to.

Point is, the OP is a member and has been for a while. The OP has used many
    BBs and has spent a great deal of time helping others. I personally do not
    think he deserves to be treated as a troll and I apologize to him for that
    having happened, even if no one else is big enough to do the same.
    07-01-10 06:44 PM
    "No, Never" is the correct answer. CrackBerry will be here for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years to come.

Put it this way as a worst-case scenario.... even if RIM were to decide out of the blue today that they've had enough of the smartphone game and wanted to all retire, the amount of devices in-market already (think of people signing 2 year contracts in the last 12 months and people who are still rocking older devices, etc.) would still drive enough traffic/demand to justify the site being around for a longggggg time to come. I'm always surprised to see on a daily basis that replacement trackballs for the 8300/8800 series are still our #1 accessory seller in the store - it just shows that people keep rocking old phones. And heck, even if there was only one person in the world using a BlackBerry (me!) this site would keep going. It's part of my identity. Also, we're part of Smartphone Experts with a site for every platform, so the infrastructure to support the site will always be there no matter where smartphone demands ebb and flow. Want proof? Check out SPE's original start to it all.. visorcentral.com >> the #1 community resource for Handspring's Visor. It's still running... and we know what happened to the Palm Visor!

I do think RIM's future is more positive looking than say symbian or pre-hp palm, even though at the moment things seem a little more negative (stock price, etc.). They have more "hooks" that ensure they can whether the storm while they revamp to a new generation of platform (i'm not talking bb6 here, but beyond that looking into the years ahead. RIM still has huge enterprise presence, they have the killer app of "the keyboard" which BB is identified with and a lot of people will always demand/want, and they have strong brand recognition. They are accelerating their growth in foreign markets still and in those markets have data plans that work in BB's favor. They have BBM. RIM is basically selling more devices per quarter right now than they did in a whole year going back to when this site was started a few years ago. And you have to remember, compared to the competition they are still the favored/dominant "communication tool." Where they need to improve still is on the multimedia/app side of the equation (browser too, but BB6/WebKit should really address that), but as a pure out communication/productivity tool for all the shakers and movers out there, BB still hasn't slipped at all. The people who rely on it, continue to rely on it and will do so in the future. They may also pick up an iPad or iPod touch or something like that to have in addition to their BB to have the no-compromise best in class of everything, but they can't give up their BB. But I do think with where the competition is and the demands of the consumer are and going, that RIM's continued success will have to extend beyond being an awesome communication tool. They know this and are working on it. It would be nice if they could move faster, but they'll continue to sell fairly big numbers until they get there, even if the stock gets pounded for a bit and the news reports are on the negative side for a few more quarters.

I guess time will tell the RIM story, but back to the original topic of this thread, fear not, CB will be here for a long, long, lonnnnng time.
    But But But But... what if you were drunk one night and you lost a bet which meant you had to shut down crackberry... OR, if someone offered you a large sum of money to shutdown the site....? never say never...
    07-01-10 06:49 PM
    Just because someone has owned many Blackberrys and has helped other
    people in the past, does not exclude the possibility of him suggesting that
    RIM and Blackberry are going to fizzle out, but I'm not gonna go re-quoting stuff.
    07-01-10 06:50 PM
    lol, for the record, I have owned a Curve 8310, 8900 and a 9000.
    07-01-10 06:53 PM
    Anything is possible, but I have a hard time believing that CrackBerry would shut down. There are plenty of other more likely disasters you could loose sleep over. Here's one...what if SNL doesn't get a better writing staff?
    07-01-10 06:57 PM
    if someone offered you a large sum of money to shutdown the site....? never say never...
    im sure everyone here realises cb take a cut of any stuff sold through their store (its only fair isnt it) so even if RIM did ever decide to quit making smartphones, as long as apps /themes /games /accessories are still about then the site would still be making money, also me and a friend guestimated what CB make in a year, and lets just say it would need to be a v large sum of monet someone offered.

i guess the main part is more based around the site owner (for any site not just cb or a nokia site), and if, as the person who owner the nokia site did, that person loses their passion for that platform then theyd either shut it down or `pass on the torch` so to speak, and i think the latter would of been the better move, and probably would be for any thriving website.

whichever way you look at it though symbian as an OS makes the BB OS look fast, smooth and classy. from a retail perspective i see more faults with symbian phones than BB (we are talking firmware faults only here) and now that sony ericsson also have symbian phones, i cant see that ratio dropping. symbian is `open` but has failed miserably where android is now doing well.
    07-01-10 07:25 PM
    Just because someone has owned many Blackberrys and has helped other
    people in the past, does not exclude the possibility of him suggesting that
    RIM and Blackberry are going to fizzle out, but I'm not gonna go re-quoting stuff.
    Of course it doesn't exclude it. But the point is he didn't in the first place.
    07-01-10 07:27 PM
    Of course it doesn't exclude it. But the point is he didn't in the first place.
    You are preaching to the choir. The congregation is deaf and blind.
    07-01-10 07:39 PM
    Just wanted to know your thoughts on sites like Symbian-Guru whom have a strong following, but fizzle because their handsets, and it makes me wonder about the Blackberry handsets and the future for RIM and Crackberry.
    Seems obvious to me...
    07-01-10 08:05 PM
    If nothing else, this thread has exploded the concept that

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL
    07-01-10 08:15 PM
    good lord some of you are thick
    07-01-10 08:19 PM
    LOL... Yeah, I dont think this was to start a phone war, he was clearly venting his concern for the future of CB... I say that b/c he was comparing Nokia (who is in no way "doomed") and one of their sites to BB's and CB...

Yes a little far fetched, but you can't assume he was directly or indirectly trying to say that RIM is doomed, because he didn't.
    07-01-10 08:33 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD