...maybe you can find some old DOS software for those quick tasks (Lotus 123 was always so much quicker to use than Excel)...I imagine runing on today's cpu....it would be a blink and they would be ready.....connectivity...well that would be the trade off....then again maybe a linux laptop if you are techie oriented.
    I don't need anything except the new laptops which solve the problem the same way mobile phones do, by staying on all day. No boot or connecting to WiFi required because their always on and connected to LTE.

The first of these will arrive in December. The whole point of this thread is to ask the question if this new generation of cellular PCs will change how readers will use mobile devices.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    10-28-17 10:10 AM
    The first devices sound promising, all down to the pricing now IMO.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...e-gigabit-lte/
    12-05-17 02:41 PM
    So far we have HP, Asus and Lenovo confirmed. It's a very good start. The first models, based on the SD 835 are not going to blow anyone's socks off in terms of benchmark performance, but that's really not the point. With 20+ hours of always on, always connected performance, one of these outfitted with a corporate VOIP solution and wireless headset with call control could COMPLETELY replace a smart phone in terms of functionality for the average corporate drone.

I'm not suggesting that consumers will prefer to carry a small laptop, 2-in-1 or tablet instead of a handheld phone, but this could be a game changer for companies who no longer want to pay for BYOD support (or subsidies) for the majority of employees. Better secured endpoints are on every CIO and CISO's wish list for 2018.

For me, I would probably switch my mobile phones to WiFi only and let one of these handle all of my phone functions, once the call control interfaces are good enough.
    12-22-17 10:31 AM
    From Tech Republic :

"CES 2018: Could laptops be the surprise show-stealer?

PCs have long been on the back burner at CES, but ARM-powered laptops could make them the surprise hit of the show this year because of two important features."

http://enews.techrepublic.com/ct/458...76025515296004

01-06-18 02:45 PM
    Yeah, they will sell a few - and then people will just go back to using their XPS 13 machines that weigh very little while running real Win10 on an i7 proc.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-06-18 09:55 PM
    Yeah, they will sell a few - and then people will just go back to using their XPS 13 machines that weigh very little while running real Win10 on an i7 proc.
    Sure, there's no question if performance is the goal, but that great little beasty can't be used for 16 hours with no power and a multi-GB/s LTE connection.

Two different tools for two different jobs.

01-07-18 04:24 AM
    The word from CES 2018 was that these new laptops were potential game changers. For example:
    PC-phone convergence is happening, but not how you think
    01-19-18 04:43 PM
57 123