What are the chances BlackBerry gets bought in 2020? Seems they are moving in the right direction and could be very good asset for a major software company. Thoughts...
    01-01-20 06:07 PM
    As long as the Cylance money starts rolling in and QNX improves i think they are fine. But if that stalls we could see buy out options on the table i suppose.
    01-01-20 06:31 PM
    What are the chances BlackBerry gets bought in 2020? Seems they are moving in the right direction and could be very good asset for a major software company. Thoughts...
    Fairfax, Prem and Chen will stick to current building plan. My gut is that it’s still couple years away because Notes have come due yet and they’re generating income adding to Fairfax total return on BlackBerry but act like anchor to common share price, good and bad.
    01-01-20 07:05 PM
    BlackBerry sold their PKB patent?
    01-01-20 07:23 PM
    Ah, no..... that’s not likely
    arif b santoso likes this.
    01-01-20 07:29 PM
    https://www.cantechletter.com/2019/1...investor-says/

BlackBerry will be sold off soon, this investor says
    01-01-20 08:14 PM
    To UniHertz... For $100.
    01-01-20 08:49 PM
    To UniHertz... For $100.
    I have BlackBerry PKB on my iPhone 8+.
    In my dream.
    the_boon likes this.
    01-01-20 08:54 PM
    Hopefully an acquisition by or merging with Nokia Corporation.
    arif b santoso and ppeters914 like this.
    01-01-20 09:03 PM
    Hopefully an acquisition by or merging with Nokia Corporation.
    Why or what ever would create that possibility? BlackBerry Limited and Nokia Corporation aren’t very close anymore since both exited mobile years ago.
    eshropshire and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-01-20 09:19 PM
    Why or what ever would create that possibility? BlackBerry Limited and Nokia Corporation aren’t very close anymore since both exited mobile years ago.
    I fully agree, why would Nokia buy BlackBerry? There is no synergy between these companies in 2020.
    01-01-20 10:20 PM
    Both are working on smart cities and autonomous driving, so they might share the same business type. Nokia was the largest phone manufacturer and now the second largest network and telecommunication company. BlackBerry is also totally different than few years ago. Companies bussiness model has continuously kept changing along the years.
    01-02-20 12:56 AM
    Fairfax, Prem and Chen will stick to current building plan. My gut is that it’s still couple years away because Notes have come due yet and they’re generating income adding to Fairfax total return on BlackBerry but act like anchor to common share price, good and bad.
    If that is really what they are doing, then Chen is not acting in the best interests of shareholders and is violating his duties to shareholders. He should not be acting in any way just to help a debt holder even if it controls the BoD. That's just another breach itself.
    01-02-20 01:18 AM
    Maybe Disney might buy them. Couldn't be any worse than TCL making Mickey mouse phone's. Lol

I'll get my coat now!
    01-02-20 03:14 AM
    It's likely that BB will be sold to a larger company at some point in the next few years, just as Sybase eventually was after Chen turned it around. But Watsa is going to want BB to build up some more value before they consider selling, as the current value is too low, and it seems that things are (slowly) improving, and so the value of the company is expected to rise.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    01-02-20 04:51 AM
    I agree that Prem/Fairfax is in the drivers seat and isn't going to sell cheap. If things don't improve, he'll take them private and see what can be done.... maybe sell off some assets. If things do improve, at some point a bigger player will buy the company. I think QNX, GOOD and Cylance "names" have value. But the name BlackBerry name? As for the IP, I'm sure the group that's trying to monetize IP already for BlackBerry will do the best they can with these additional smartphone assets.
    01-02-20 08:29 AM
    I saw this as well. One of the reasons for my post. Makes sense...
    01-02-20 09:29 AM
    If that is really what they are doing, then Chen is not acting in the best interests of shareholders and is violating his duties to shareholders. He should not be acting in any way just to help a debt holder even if it controls the BoD. That's just another breach itself.
    Chen is required to act in the best interest of the company and it’s shareholders. Fairfax, Prem and Chen all know exactly where the lines of conflict are just to stay right inside them. Accepting the original deal and subsequent restructuring has been reviewed by the necessary regulators. The whole original “note” deal has been used extensively over the past 40 years and is well known for providing a collared protection strategy and shareholder protection that’s again legal...
    01-02-20 03:45 PM
    I think Chen is doing an amazing job, and the recent reports of BB beating the street estimates bode extremely well for the near and long term future. I do NOT believe BB will be sold, instead it might make a startling acquisition of its own. John Chen is a master tactician and amazing Senior Executive with an eye on the future.

This wild ride isnt over yet. That is why I have NOT sold off my BB share.
    01-02-20 03:49 PM
    Chen is required to act in the best interest of the company and it’s shareholders. Fairfax, Prem and Chen all know exactly where the lines of conflict are just to stay right inside them. Accepting the original deal and subsequent restructuring has been reviewed by the necessary regulators. The whole original “note” deal has been used extensively over the past 40 years and is well known for providing a collared protection strategy and shareholder protection that’s again legal...
    I don't agree with your legal analysis, but we all have a right to our opinions of course.
    01-02-20 04:40 PM
    I don't agree with your legal analysis, but we all have a right to our opinions of course.
    I’m a licensed regulatory principal so it’s not opinion, it’s actual knowledge of the industry and the process itself.

It’s about disclosing everything as required and not the actions themselves for the most part. Everybody think insider trading is illegal for instance but it’s not. It’s about following the rules for insider trading which is mostly about disclosure and learning how to properly USE the system and it’s technical aspects.
    01-02-20 04:44 PM
    I've always said MS should've have bought Blackberry when they were looking for buyers pre-Chen. Use QNX for their endeavors into the auto-infotainment space and move the enterprise customers to their Intune/MS 365 product.
    01-02-20 04:53 PM
    How does any of this matter to us as mobile device consumers?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-03-20 07:54 AM
    I've always said MS should've have bought Blackberry when they were looking for buyers pre-Chen. Use QNX for their endeavors into the auto-infotainment space and move the enterprise customers to their Intune/MS 365 product.
    I think MS is hung up on Windows.... they wouldn't have wanted QNX, other than to kill it.

And BlackBerries BES business in 2013 wasn't really much of a business.... wasn't till BlackBerry bought Good that they really had a viable UEM platform. MS could have bought Good and killed two birds with one stone, for a whole lot cheaper than buying BlackBerry.
    01-03-20 08:43 AM
    How does any of this matter to us as mobile device consumers?
    It hasn’t for three years.
    Bbnivende and ppeters914 like this.
    01-03-20 09:08 AM
44 12