Has anyone heard anything regarding whether BB10 will be a penta band antenna similar to the Galaxy Nexus and a handful of other models?
    07-20-12 07:28 PM
    whats the diffrence between are normal antenna and penta ones

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    07-20-12 08:14 PM
    It can work on 5 frequency bands instead of the normal 4 so should work on every carrier.
    07-20-12 08:59 PM
    Has anyone heard anything regarding whether BB10 will be a penta band antenna similar to the Galaxy Nexus and a handful of other models?
    An OS that comes with an antenna?

WOW! COOL!

Don't need that dang hardware anymore.

Tim
    07-20-12 09:20 PM
    Be kinda slick if the hardware could support both GSM and CDMA..the OS has little to do with it..I had an Sprint "World" BB a couple years ago that worked in my overseas travels?.all depends on the carriers I would think
    07-21-12 08:04 AM
    I don't think this will happen. A few years ago, a secret agenda was put into play and these days, pentaband phones are no where to be seen. Nokia was doing this but then they dropped everything and went with Windows Phone and there's no way in Microsoft will let them make pentaband WPs. Chances of BB10 devices having it will be slim to none, imo..
    JBenn911 likes this.
    07-21-12 09:43 AM
    This is an excerpt from Paratek's website. In case you don't know what paratek does, they design and manufacture adaptive RF front-end component solutions for mobile wireless applications. It has been acquired by RIM a while back.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 07-21-12 at 10:57 AM.
    sleepngbear and Jtaylor1986 like this.
    07-21-12 10:46 AM
    I don't think this will happen. A few years ago, a secret agenda was put into play and these days, pentaband phones are no where to be seen. Nokia was doing this but then they dropped everything and went with Windows Phone and there's no way in Microsoft will let them make pentaband WPs. Chances of BB10 devices having it will be slim to none, imo..
    As far as i can tell, the Lumia 710 sold in canada seems to have pentband. supporting HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100.

Nokia Lumia 710 Unlocked Unlocked Available (Full Specifications)

This is pure speculation but i think the reason why lumia 800 does not have pentaband while the N9 do, is because Nokia needed to rush it out quick. Thus they switched to another chipset from qualcomm, even sacrificing NFC, and the front facing camera.
    07-21-12 10:57 AM
    This is an excerpt from Paratek's website. In case you don't know what paratek does, they design and manufacture adaptive RF front-end component solutions for mobile wireless applications. It has been acquired by RIM a while back.
    You beat me to it. Since RIM acquired Paratek, I'd say new phones using their technology should be able to use any band known to man, and a few we don't know about yet. Ok, maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but if anybody can do penta-band, it'd be Paratek. And now would be a really good time to do it.
    07-21-12 01:57 PM
    While I really hope the new models are penta-band, given RIM's history of appeasing US carriers, I don't see it happening
    07-21-12 02:04 PM
    While I really hope the new models are penta-band, given RIM's history of appeasing US carriers, I don't see it happening
    I disagree. Why else would RIM have spent 100 Million ??? last year if they didn't plan on using the tech. Also They have been known for having great radios on their phones & for having "world" phones.
    07-21-12 02:38 PM
    I disagree. Why else would RIM have spent 100 Million ??? last year if they didn't plan on using the tech. Also They have been known for having great radios on their phones & for having "world" phones.
    Like I said, I too would love penta-band phones, and hope the Paratek acquisition was for just that and not a "scorched earth" purchase. But let's look at a couple of facts that seem to hint at carrier interference:

1. Paratek was acquired in March. Since then, none of the GSM phones released (9220, 9320, more?) have been penta-band.

2. "World phones,"are limited to 2G everywhere except 2100 MHz zones (i.e. North America and a few other carriers.) CDMA carriers don't want customers buying their devices, unlocking them, and then using them on GSM carriers. If RIM can put the 2100 MHz band in CDMA phones, why can't they put other bands in too?
    07-21-12 04:05 PM
    Well if the 4g Playbook is any indication, then maybe they are changing their ways. According to GSM arena, the tablet is pentaband. Good News!

BlackBerry 4G LTE PlayBook - Full phone specifications
    08-08-12 03:58 PM
    I bought 3 Galaxy Nexus' for the benefit of pentaband. The flexibility in choosing prepaid plans is useful. That said, I will use what Blackberry offers. There is no other device that operates or feels as good as the Bold. We use linux systems only at home and are big on open source. But the Blackberry suits me the best.
    08-08-12 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD