I don't know about you guys but that berry key is the world to me. When ever I get stuck looking for an option I know 99% that the berry key will have it. Its like the Right Click of a mouse, It wont b the same with out it. I can't wait for BB10 but I'm getting nervous that the features I love wont b there. I have seen the PlayBook without an SD card and the dev alpha without it either also no berry key on those 2 devices. RIM cannot remove what makes a BlackBerry a Blackberry all they need to do is expand what they already got, Just make it better. Customers never complained about the Berry key so don't toss it, Customers complained about the Camera and apps, All I'm saying is fix what needs to b fixed. I personally like OS7 over Playbook 2.0.. Opinions anyone
    07-25-12 09:00 PM
    No my friend....I have to respectfully disagree. Swiping will replace all that and you'll be used to it in a matter of no time. I like OS7 but they can't keep putting lipstick on that pig. It's time for a fresh start/look. They need to add a lot of features BB users know and love, but I both ecstatic and relieved that TAT will finally be bringing in a fresh new look for both RIM and the mobile industry. Me personally, I love the fact there will be no berry button, or buttons at all for that matter. Swiping jestures will ensure that this OS is unlike any other OS currently on the market.
    07-25-12 11:21 PM
    No my friend....I have to respectfully disagree. Swiping will replace all that and you'll be used to it in a matter of no time. I like OS7 but they can't keep putting lipstick on that pig. It's time for a fresh start/look. They need to add a lot of features BB users know and love, but I both ecstatic and relieved that TAT will finally be bringing in a fresh new look for both RIM and the mobile industry. Me personally, I love the fact there will be no berry button, or buttons at all for that matter. Swiping jestures will ensure that this OS is unlike any other OS currently on the market.
    But every phone has a center button, would it only be normal to make that key the berry key... Cut, Copy, Paste, Send email, spell check, call, text, address book, All in one key. makes life simple. I think if they moved the Call and End button to the berry key would make more sense... we shall see my friend, we shall see. I hope u r right about me getting use to it because I love my berry key over any feature or app
    07-26-12 12:17 AM
    Loving the "right key" description! Same applies for me :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-26-12 12:30 AM
    I understand, it's gonna be different knowing there won't be a berry button but we kind of have no choice at this point lol...it's already known there won't be any button, but me personally I think it's cool that people will actually have to know what theyre doing if they pick up my phone in order to use it. Hopefully RIM has though of ways to still make it fairly easy to access the information you're looking for though...
    07-26-12 10:02 AM
    "expand what they already got and make it better."
    Sorry to break it to you but that's what they've been doing with each OS & you see how that's turning out.
    BB10 is a completely revamped OS. Completely different. Which is exactly what they need to be doing. Something completely different from OS 5,6,7.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    07-26-12 10:29 AM
    I doubt it will have a BlackBerry aka "freckle" button because the phone will not be menu driven like the Java based old platform. The UI is going to be more intuitive (whatever that means...Vulcan mind meld? ) and from what I read, gesture based. I think it will be pretty cool.
    07-26-12 10:31 AM
    Sorry to break it to you but that's what they've been doing with each OS & you see how that's turning out.
    BB10 is a completely revamped OS. Completely different. Which is exactly what they need to be doing. Something completely different from OS 5,6,7.

i agree with you mainly, for blackberry 10 to be a success it has to appear to be a completely different phone.

Fourteen year olds need to be going "wow , gimme"
    07-26-12 10:32 AM
    I have to agree, I spent most of this morning continually trying to swipe the bezels on an iPad at work because I'm so used to doing it on my Playbook knowing that it can either give me options or minimize the app thats on screen.

Swiping will become just as intuitive to you as the Berry button!
    Rello likes this.
    07-26-12 10:54 AM
    You could always get the QWERTY version, which at least from the mockups that have been shown may have the button. Even as much as I love my PlayBook, there's still something to be said for the contact with a physical key.

Gotta love my keyboard, then again even with my desktop I try to do as much as I can with the keyboard as opposed to the mouse!
    07-26-12 11:15 AM

Your approach was the approach Palm took

Lets change Everything!
    that worked well.

RIM needs to take what they do best and do it better, while taking the things they didn't do well and make them competitive, and that is actually what they are doing with BlackBerry 10, the seamless transversing between and within apps is an extension of RIM's full integration they've been doing for a long time,
    They are remaining focused on the communication element of BlackBerry and not abandoning what they do best, look at the slides that are floating around about BBM, and look at the new slide about photofilters built in, that IS RIM as RIM has been they build and integrate rather then silo out.
    07-26-12 11:24 AM
    as for the OP, I agree, I wish RIM was keeping the BlackBerry button, but it seems to be gone, we can hope for a well made software button to do it, too many gestures and the device will be confusing for the first time users, so everything wont be gesture based they will need to make it easy to use the features the BB Button used to bring.

I have faith, I'm not happy about it, but I have faith at least RIM developed apps will address the usability features of the BB button within the UI.

but touchscreens and gestures don't replace the button for all people, gestures/touchscreens suck with gloves,
    Jonathank likes this.
    07-26-12 11:28 AM
    Basically, you'll just have to put a BB square sticker at the top of your screen (joke) and ... swipe down. This contextual menu will still be there, only the way you call it will be different.
    Rello likes this.
    07-26-12 11:33 AM
    Basically, you'll just have to put a BB square sticker at the top of your screen (joke) and ... swipe down. This contextual menu will still be there, only the way you call it will be different.
    I was actually thinking about saying that same thing for my first post in this thread lol. Honestly, I can already see the threads now about how BB10 will be too much of a departure from something like OS7. I am perfectly fine with a new experience that still retains many of the known strengths BB's have
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-27-12 12:46 AM
    I agree with Rello on this.

Before I read this thread I would have agreed with the OP but if you think about the blackberry button would be a waste on bb10 since its a totally different UI design.

For those who have used a PB, have you ever felt the need for a bb button, or after having used it for a while have you?

Multi tastk between apps? swipe up then across, or just swipe the side.
    Menu options? Swipe down.

Being a first time bb user in the past year I guess the BB button isnt as ingrained on me as it might be with others. But as a first time user of both devices I would say the PB UI is vastly more user friendly and intuitive. Its also likely an easier transition for someone coming from apple and maybe to a lesser extent android.

BB button would be a step back. It has its place, and thats with BB7 and older models.
    Rello likes this.
    07-27-12 03:43 AM
    I would hope rim makes a bb10 device just like the current bold it would sell! They need to keep their physical keyboard and buttons this will attract so many former users to come back to bLackberry.
    07-27-12 04:59 AM

For those who have used a PB, have you ever felt the need for a bb button, or after having used it for a while have you?
    Having had a BlackBerry PlayBook since day 1.

YES I wish it had a BlackBerry Button, AND a TrackPad 50% of the time that I am using the device, there are tasks I just do NOT enjoy doing on my PlayBook as it lacks those 2 items so I go back to my BlackBerry to perform them
    Jonathank likes this.
    07-27-12 06:33 AM
    I started with a Playbook, then added a Torch. I can live without the BB button, but the trackpad is key for me. Swiping gestures are not that hard to learn. Typing isn't much fun on a pure touch device, so remote control is great for me, well, except for my thumbs after an hour of note-taking.
    07-27-12 08:37 AM
    I could MAYBE see the use for them including a trackpad cause for guys like deRusett where productivity is key, I can understand why it is such a great tool. At the same time though, that's why I love bridge because if I'm really trying to be that productive it helps greatly. I would imagine the case and keyboard would help a lot with that also.

Like I said though, hopefully RIM has done some innovation towards making this easier since we know BB10 will have no buttons. I'm fine with that decision but I can see why it could frustrate others
    07-27-12 12:33 PM
    Having had a BlackBerry PlayBook since day 1.

YES I wish it had a BlackBerry Button, AND a TrackPad 50% of the time that I am using the device, there are tasks I just do NOT enjoy doing on my PlayBook as it lacks those 2 items so I go back to my BlackBerry to perform them
    I'll agree on the trackpad but I still think the BB button would be redundant. But we may have different use patterns. I think all tablet devices lack an accurate input device like the optical track pad. I like how RIM had the forethought to make our phones act like a mouse, with either the trackpad or screen. I'd like something that gives us more precision but as we've seen with the keyboard the general masses may just except something less functional. You can't even use a mouse on the ipad without a jailbreak. I believe thats a huge oversight or a case of apple just dictating how people use their products. Seems dumb to me, kinda like having only one button on a mouse.
    07-27-12 10:11 PM
    I love the bb button and trackpad on my phone but didnt miss it while using my playbook. I'm sure once you get your hands on the new phones you'll get the hang of it in no time! Swipe is awesome!
    07-27-12 11:58 PM
    But every phone has a center button, would it only be normal to make that key the berry key... Cut, Copy, Paste, Send email, spell check, call, text, address book, All in one key. makes life simple. I think if they moved the Call and End button to the berry key would make more sense... we shall see my friend, we shall see. I hope u r right about me getting use to it because I love my berry key over any feature or app
    No, every phone does NOT have a 'centre button' (I presume you mean a home key). A good chunk of Android phones don't - in fact it's part of Google's design aesthetic for ICS (something that Samsung famously bucked with the SGS3 and which people are still up in arms about).

Personally, I prefer a physical home button to softkeys, so I am happy that Samsung did push back against Google, but a lot of people don't like the button.
    07-28-12 12:03 AM
    Swipe down from the top to access application settings. If the app has no settings, the swipe will cause an overshoot animation to indicate that the gesture was recognized. If there are more actions than can be displayed on-screen, an Action Overflow button will appear in the bottom-right corner. The same is true for navigation options except the Nav Overflow button will appear in the bottom left corner. If there are no extra actions or navigation options, the action/nav overflow buttons will not be present.

I agree with Rello on this.

Before I read this thread I would have agreed with the OP but if you think about the blackberry button would be a waste on bb10 since its a totally different UI design.

Multi tastk between apps? swipe up then across, or just swipe the side.
    Menu options? Swipe down.

Being a first time bb user in the past year I guess the BB button isnt as ingrained on me as it might be with others. But as a first time user of both devices I would say the PB UI is vastly more user friendly and intuitive. Its also likely an easier transition for someone coming from apple and maybe to a lesser extent android.

BB button would be a step back. It has its place, and thats with BB7 and older models.
    I can't say for sure, but looking at all of the demos and documentation, it doesn't look as though you can swipe between apps like with the PlayBook. Swiping from the left will trigger the glancing gesture and if you're at the root of an app, you'll go back to the home screen. I've seen no attempt to swipe from the right. And I'm not sure what you mean by swiping up, then across as that would bring you to the app drawer or messaging. You only need to swipe up to get to recent apps.
    07-28-12 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD