Hey guys,

I'm a former Q10 owner (and many BBs before that), but switched to the iPhone 5S after 4 Q10s broke down on me. I tried not to leave but I could not take it anymore and just needed something that would work in the meantime.

I get a new phone every year and this year it looks like I'll be deciding between the iPhone 6 and the Passport.

Since switching to the iPhone I've learned how much texting from the computer means to me (in terms of iMessage). Apple will be baking the feature to text directly to phone numbers that aren't iPhones from the computer in the next OSX update.

Does anyone know if Blackberry intends to bring this kind of feature to BB10? The ability to send/read texts from the computer in addition to possibly even BBM?

I still use BBM for iOS and would love to be able to not have to pick up my phone when I'm at work and do it from the computer instead.
    07-08-14 08:46 PM
    i dont think BB has intentions for this type of feature. I would assume BBM for the desktop would ome first
    JGuez likes this.
    07-08-14 08:50 PM
    I'm more curious on how you went through 4 BlackBerry Q10!?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 09:04 PM
    Wouldn't blend be what you are looking for? Bbm, email, calendar etc..mirrored to the computer? I think that is where BlackBerry is going in 10.3?

From my z30
    07-08-14 09:36 PM
    Yes, BlackBerry Blend. 4 q10s??? What the hell?

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    07-08-14 09:37 PM
    Thanks guys. I'll look into Blend.

Yeah 4 q10s. It's a long story but for whatever reason when I would place my phone on a table the phone would randomly just reboot. T-Mobile was kind enough to keep replacing my phone and eventually gave me a full refund even after a couple of months of owning it (and I wasn't even locked into a contract with them. I'm a very loyal customer to T-Mobile now).

My parents Q10s on AT&T didn't have this problem but my sister's did.

Wouldn't happen all the time, just a few times a week but if you can try to imagine just putting your phone down on the table and it randomly rebooting you can understand how frustrating that is. I just don't tolerate things that do not work. Period.

Anyways, I appreciate the responses.
    07-09-14 01:25 AM
    Lol they gave you Q10 with the battery slipping off the contacts....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-09-14 02:15 AM
    Why would you want to send texts from a computer? Doesn't make much sense. Maybe you're just not a fan of the virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 02:59 AM
    Why would you want to send texts from a computer? Doesn't make much sense. Maybe you're just not a fan of the virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    If I'm doing something on a computer, with, say, my phone out of reach, or otherwise not immediately available, it's good functionality to have IMHO.
    07-09-14 07:50 AM
    I had the same restarting problem on 3 different phones, (2 Q10 & 1 Z10) every one I sent in for repair and they fixed it with no problems since. But sending your phone in for a week can be a real pain in the @$$!

Posted via CB10
    JGuez likes this.
    07-09-14 08:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    If I'm at work, at my desk, with a 27" screen and full sized keyboard infront of me.... who cares if my phone has a virtual keyboard or physical keys? Either way the typing experience pales next to using my full sized keyboard.

Apple's iMessage integration is something BB ought to be striving for with BBM. When you can start a texting conversation on your phone, continue on your tablet, and finish off on your computer, all without missing a beat...

That they're bringing this to plain old SMS (and telephone conversations too) might not be a big draw for those who've never experienced it. Once you have though, it's pretty friggin awesome. I hope BB is paying attention.
    07-09-14 08:10 AM
    Lol they gave you Q10 with the battery slipping off the contacts....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Whatever it was there was something fundamentally wrong with the hardware. I did try taping the battery down so it was completely immobile (and it was immobile from the start anyways). No dice.

Lol at you thinking you found a solution to the problem that Blackberry and T-Mobile spent months trying to figure out but couldn't though.....

Posted via CB10
    I'm actually cool with a virtual keyboard. I do prefer a physical one but I type very fast on a virtual one. Actually typing all my responses on my ipad right now.

It's said below but doing anything on a bigger screen is just better, including typing. Let alone it's nice not to have to take my phone out everytime it beeps at work. I can just respond to messages and get back to work. I pretty much never need to take my phone out at work except to answer text messages since iMessages currently does not work with traditional SMS.

Maybe you're just not a fan of things you haven't tried....

If I'm doing something on a computer, with, say, my phone out of reach, or otherwise not immediately available, it's good functionality to have IMHO.
    If I'm at work, at my desk, with a 27" screen and full sized keyboard infront of me.... who cares if my phone has a virtual keyboard or physical keys? Either way the typing experience pales next to using my full sized keyboard.

Apple's iMessage integration is something BB ought to be striving for with BBM. When you can start a texting conversation on your phone, continue on your tablet, and finish off on your computer, all without missing a beat...

That they're bringing this to plain old SMS (and telephone conversations too) might not be a big draw for those who've never experienced it. Once you have though, it's pretty friggin awesome. I hope BB is paying attention.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner(s)!

Once you start texting from your computer it's pretty hard to go back. The experience is just so much better and the fact that your phone is syncing live the entire time makes it such a seamless experience.
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    07-09-14 08:48 AM
    Anyone can send SMS from computers. Your carrier has an email address you can use for it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-09-14 08:50 AM
    Really wish BlackBerry could merge BBM with the TEXT App like iMessage does. If a contact has a PIN the message is sent via BBM, if they don't it's sent via SMS/MMS and you don't get the message indicators like you do with BBM... but at least all your messages are in one place.

LINK could do so much more than Backup and Sync your device to a computer. Let's hope that Blend comes soon....
    07-09-14 08:58 AM
    I simply connected my 9900 via Bluetooth to my PC, was going to try "blurtz" but found a simple sms connecter already in windows 7 that let me send & receive sms just via Bluetooth once my phone connected...no extra software needed....but doesn't do bbm
    07-09-14 09:04 AM
    should also work on bb10 devices?
    07-09-14 09:04 AM
    Texting from desktop will be possible via Blend, when it launches.

Rumored to be coming with 10.3, which will launch with the Passport. All other devices will get 10.3.1 months later apparently.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 10:34 AM
    Anyone can send SMS from computers. Your carrier has an email address you can use for it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    That's simply just not the same. That will not sync with your phone.

Really wish BlackBerry could merge BBM with the TEXT App like iMessage does. If a contact has a PIN the message is sent via BBM, if they don't it's sent via SMS/MMS and you don't get the message indicators like you do with BBM... but at least all your messages are in one place.

LINK could do so much more than Backup and Sync your device to a computer. Let's hope that Blend comes soon....
    I would absolutely LOVE that. The way Apple has it down with it just being the same app as the SMS app is perfect.

Texting from desktop will be possible via Blend, when it launches.

Rumored to be coming with 10.3, which will launch with the Passport. All other devices will get 10.3.1 months later apparently.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I had not been in touch with Blackberry since last September and started looking into Blend now that is has been mentioned in this thread. Great to hear that Blackberry is addressing this. Guaranteed the people in here who claim to think this is a pointless feature will be all over it once Blend comes out....
    07-09-14 11:18 AM
    Whatever it was there was something fundamentally wrong with the hardware. I did try taping the battery down so it was completely immobile (and it was immobile from the start anyways). No dice.

Lol at you thinking you found a solution to the problem that Blackberry and T-Mobile spent months trying to figure out but couldn't though.....

I'm actually cool with a virtual keyboard. I do prefer a physical one but I type very fast on a virtual one. Actually typing all my responses on my ipad right now.

It's said below but doing anything on a bigger screen is just better, including typing. Let alone it's nice not to have to take my phone out everytime it beeps at work. I can just respond to messages and get back to work. I pretty much never need to take my phone out at work except to answer text messages since iMessages currently does not work with traditional SMS.

Maybe you're just not a fan of things you haven't tried....

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner(s)!

Once you start texting from your computer it's pretty hard to go back. The experience is just so much better and the fact that your phone is syncing live the entire time makes it such a seamless experience.
    That's because it's a common recurring issue. We've seen this all over the forums. It's a manufacturing defect.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-09-14 12:43 PM
    Well you can do mms and bbm texting on the playbook.

You could also do texting on pc trough your phone company app. For instance in Canada you can use Rogers app for that

Now, I would assume if bbm is coming to windows phone. I don't see why it would not run on 10 on a pc.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 12:47 PM
    That's simply just not the same. That will not sync with your phone.
    You didn't specify that as a requirement.

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-11-14 11:20 PM

Yeah 4 q10s. It's a long story but for whatever reason when I would place my phone on a table the phone would randomly just reboot. T-Mobile was kind enough to keep replacing my phone and eventually gave me a full refund even after a couple of months of owning it (and I wasn't even locked into a contract with them. I'm a very loyal customer to T-Mobile now).

Wouldn't happen all the time, just a few times a week but if you can try to imagine just putting your phone down on the table and it randomly rebooting you can understand how frustrating that is. I just don't tolerate things that do not work. Period.

My Q10 has this exact same problem along with the double typing issue. My phone randomly restarts at least once a week. The double typing thing happens daily now. I'm also looking to switch to the iphone 6 next year. I used the iPad mainly and it would be nice to have a phone + tablet combo. Let me know what you decide. I used an iphone before and the virtual keyboard worked fine for me. Let us know what you finally decide. The passport just looks to awkward to have as my main device. Perhaps the classic? Still on the fence...

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 11:28 PM
    I would love to be able to do everything on phone from my computer, be able to sync it via a cable, memory card, Internet, nfc, any other option.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 02:14 AM
    With 'BLUESTACKS" you can do it ALL from your PC.
    I've been using it on my Z10 for many months for BBM.

BlueStacks
    07-12-14 03:08 AM

Folded post-it note fixed the problem for me. Haven't had a reboot since from dropping the phone onto tabletops...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    JGuez likes this.
    07-12-14 03:18 AM
34 12