With all the trouble BB has been in and the layoffs over the past several years, was wondering if they would have the adequate staff and resources to support both BB10 and Android Device or are they planning to kill off BB10 slowly over time?
    10-19-15 10:36 AM
    BB10 gets two more "maintenance" updates.... and that is all Chen would commit to at this point.

As a platform it has been pretty much EOL.... without actually saying that. But the devices will work to one degree or another for years to come.

Their focuses is Android..... cause right now they are STILL in a life and death struggle to keep the company alive.
    10-19-15 10:47 AM
    Tracking the progress in BB10 I don't think they have had the resources to develop BB10 for quite some time. Seems like they have a small staff left to provide minimal maintenance updates to BB10.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    10-19-15 04:05 PM
    Their focuses is Android..... cause right now they are STILL in a life and death struggle to keep the company alive.
    I think BlackBerry should rebrand again: change the company name to "Android Keyboard Pocket Computer Manufacturing Concern". That way, technology I care about (the junction of BlackBerry hardware and software technology) won't be confused in my mind with Android rubbish.

Oh, and yeah. BB10 is dead.
    jsmith00075 likes this.
    10-19-15 04:19 PM
    I'm sure there's a capacity to keep BB10 going, on a lower level than before. The OS has reached maturity. iPhone UI didn't change that much either over the years. So a year or two without any major changes won't hurt...

:-)

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-19-15 05:24 PM
    I'm sure there's a capacity to keep BB10 going, on a lower level than before. The OS has reached maturity. iPhone UI didn't change that much either over the years. So a year or two without any major changes won't hurt...

Except iPhones sell at a profit and BB10 doesn't. Big difference.
    10-19-15 06:42 PM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 08:05 PM
    Except iPhones sell at a profit and BB10 doesn't. Big difference.
    Difference for BBRY lies in volume (to cover development cost)... otherwise, the phones ARE profitable if they sold in somewhat higher quantity ...

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    10-20-15 12:48 AM
    I think BlackBerry should rebrand again: change the company name to "Android Keyboard Pocket Computer Manufacturing Concern". That way, technology I care about (the junction of BlackBerry hardware and software technology) won't be confused in my mind with Android rubbish.

Oh, and yeah. BB10 is dead.
    But if the PRIV had a trackpad...

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:59 AM
    Difference for BBRY lies in volume (to cover development cost)... otherwise, the phones ARE profitable if they sold in somewhat higher quantity ...
    That's like me saying: I'm rich, if I had a somewhat higher salary... But I'm not, coz I don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-20-15 02:38 AM
    As Chen says android is as secure as its going to get. And the bb10 is more secure. Governments that rely on security are not switching to Android. I think we have seen our last devise. But bb10 will continue on a limited bases for those who need really security in there phome

Posted via CB10
    Nick Spagnolo likes this.
    10-20-15 10:20 AM
    As Chen says android is as secure as its going to get. And the bb10 is more secure. Governments that rely on security are not switching to Android. I think we have seen our last devise. But bb10 will continue on a limited bases for those who need really security in there phome

Posted via CB10
    No I think if initial sale warrant it... there will be more BlackBerry can do with Android. Especially with Marshmallow... so they will be able to improve on security as time goes by. (but i doubt sales will warrant it)
    10-20-15 11:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    There are not enough sales of BB10 devices to govt or enterprise to support any new phones. What might sales be ? 100 K per quarter ?
    10-20-15 12:16 PM
    There are not enough sales of BB10 devices to govt or enterprise to support any new phones. What might sales be ? 100 K per quarter ?
    Did you not read my post? I said that I think we have seen our last bb10 devise. But I don't think governments that rely on BlackBerry security will move to Android. No matter what people say it can not be totally secure as BlackBerry. So those that rely on that security will continue to use bb10. If BlackBerry makes any new phones I doubt ,it but if government want them they will be just slabs nothing special about them.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:23 PM
    If BlackBerry priv is a successful product then I hope that the updates to bb10 are more than just maintenance...

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 01:10 PM
    If BlackBerry priv is a successful product then I hope that the updates to bb10 are more than just maintenance...
    Not meant as a criticism of your post, but I've seen similar sentiments expressed by several posters and I'm keen to understand.

To me, it is obvious that if Android on the Priv does well, then you might see BB try to milk that success by releasing another Android phone (probably the Android Passport that has already been seen). What I really cannot imagine is that BB would choose to "invest" even 1cent of those Android profits into continuing support of BB10 either in terms of a new BB10 handset, or an "above & beyond" OS update.

What am I missing?

What reasons, beyond hopeful optimism, are there for thinking that BB would support BB10 beyond the bare minimum (a couple of bug-fixing and security patch OS updates) that their Enterprise customers would expect?
    Bbnivende and TGR1 like this.
    10-20-15 02:27 PM
    I think it highly depends on the success of the Priv. If BlackBerry is able to make good money off their Android handsets, they might keep BB10 going as an enterprise niche. Yet, if Android will be their top seller, they might as well give up on BB10 entirely. That's the dilemma...

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 03:39 PM
    Did you not read my post? I said that I think we have seen our last bb10 devise. But I don't think governments that rely on BlackBerry security will move to Android. No matter what people say it can not be totally secure as BlackBerry. So those that rely on that security will continue to use bb10. If BlackBerry makes any new phones I doubt ,it but if government want them they will be just slabs nothing special about them.

Posted via CB10
    And I am saying that the BlackBerry end to end solution is not large enough to warrant any new BB10 phones slab or otherwise. It could be that BlackBerry makes a Securesmart version of their PRIV. They made a Securesmart tablet with Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 04:17 PM
    I've just switched from Android to BB 10 and loving it ever since. If this has to go, I can't imagine myself going back to Android. The Hub is my fav function, the one that Android can never provide.

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 likes this.
    10-21-15 05:28 AM
    That's like me saying: I'm rich, if I had a somewhat higher salary... But I'm not, coz I don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sorry mate, marketing...

Been discussed to death. :-)

10-21-15 07:27 AM
    I think it highly depends on the success of the Priv. If BlackBerry is able to make good money off their Android handsets, they might keep BB10 going as an enterprise niche. Yet, if Android will be their top seller, they might as well give up on BB10 entirely. That's the dilemma...

Posted via CB10
    Its not been quite clear to be why that would be the case - that niche has turned out to be tiny - nobody cares enough for BBRY to sell more than a loss making number of phones.

If John Chen can sell

100 * �250 (ASP) = secure enough
    10 * �250 (ASP) = REALLY SECURE

He's going to for the hundred. I think he's also outracing another problem - at some stage, someone is going to get android "good enough" for a significant portion of his remaining customer base and he's got nothing left to talk about - so he's trying to beat them there (or as he's said himself come up with the solution he can sell to other android OEMs).

Providing the world's most secure phone OS has simply turned out to be a way to burn billions of dollars in cash and destroy shareholder value.
    TGR1 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-21-15 10:31 AM
    Its not been quite clear to be why that would be the case - that niche has turned out to be tiny - nobody cares enough for BBRY to sell more than a loss making number of phones.

If John Chen can sell

100 * �250 (ASP) = secure enough
    10 * �250 (ASP) = REALLY SECURE

He's going to for the hundred. I think he's also outracing another problem - at some stage, someone is going to get android "good enough" for a significant portion of his remaining customer base and he's got nothing left to talk about - so he's trying to beat them there (or as he's said himself come up with the solution he can sell to other android OEMs).

Providing the world's most secure phone OS has simply turned out to be a way to burn billions of dollars in cash and destroy shareholder value.
    Of course it would most likely continue to be loss making, that's why it would be necessary to cross-subsidize it, which would be only an option if the company finds back to strength through Android, which is yet again very uncertain.

In my opinion, the only reason, given the funds are available, for BlackBerry to stay in the business with BB10, is that it is somewhat prestigious. BlackBerry is already operating in the enterprise market with their device management and security solutions. They close the circuit with a tailor made, manageable end-user device. If they decide to exit that market, enterprise and government would probably go over to Microsoft and Apple. I am quite skeptical concerning Android in enterprise, no matter how much additional security someone may add.

So, certainly true what you say, it's only questionable whether BlackBerry might tolerate a loss-making business for some reasons or not.

In the end, it's quite likely that BlackBerry will end up as just another Android supplier. If someone may cater to real business needs, it might as well be Windows 10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 01:25 PM
    Of course it would most likely continue to be loss making, that's why it would be necessary to cross-subsidize it, which would be only an option if the company finds back to strength through Android, which is yet again very uncertain.

In my opinion, the only reason, given the funds are available, for BlackBerry to stay in the business with BB10, is that it is somewhat prestigious. BlackBerry is already operating in the enterprise market with their device management and security solutions. They close the circuit with a tailor made, manageable end-user device. If they decide to exit that market, enterprise and government would probably go over to Microsoft and Apple. I am quite skeptical concerning Android in enterprise, no matter how much additional security someone may add.

So, certainly true what you say, it's only questionable whether BlackBerry might tolerate a loss-making business for some reasons or not.

In the end, it's quite likely that BlackBerry will end up as just another Android supplier. If someone may cater to real business needs, it might as well be Windows 10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    I wish we could get some stats from the Enterprise sector worldwide. I suspect that BB10 penetration is much less than CrackBerry posters think.

If BlackBerry handsets were being bought in suffice numbers by Enterprise, I do not think we would be seeing an Android BlackBerry. I also suspect that Android will soon have a large footprint in this sector so it makes sense for BlackBerry to get ahead of the curve. Finally, Enterprise needs apps too.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    10-21-15 04:33 PM
    I wish we could get some stats from the Enterprise sector worldwide. I suspect that BB10 penetration is much less than CrackBerry posters think.

If BlackBerry handsets were being bought in suffice numbers by Enterprise, I do not think we would be seeing an Android BlackBerry. I also suspect that Android will soon have a large footprint in this sector so it makes sense for BlackBerry to get ahead of the curve. Finally, Enterprise needs apps too.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's a fairy tale assumption people have held on to since the good days, but things have changed dramatically since then.
    10-21-15 04:45 PM
    I think it's a fairy tale assumption people have held on to since the good days, but things have changed dramatically since then.
    What good days?
    10-25-15 12:34 AM
30 12