Does anybody know if BB Will lose service on the 9th of November, 2011. All communications will be down for a test which is a first of it's kinds.

2:00 P.M. is the scheduled time for this. Any information would be great. Wasn't sure if anyone had the same concern or knew how this will affect service.

Check the links

FEMA: Nationwide EAS Test

NBC 10 to Execute Nationwide EAS Test on Nov. 9 | Turn to 10
    11-04-11 01:02 PM
    unlikely, but I don't know
    11-04-11 01:09 PM
    Yea, that is what I am hearing, nobody actually knows. Most people didn't even know this test was going to be taking place.

One thing is for sure. Nothing like this has ever happened before. Not the entire communications grid at once. We just better hope it all comes back online.
    11-04-11 01:16 PM
    I am fairly sure this test is for radio and television/cable/satellite broadcasts only. I don't think this is meant to shut down all, or any, personal communications.
    11-04-11 01:48 PM
    Based on what I quickly read it seems this system shut down is "Nation-Wide" so it would actually only affect you folks in the USA. The rest of the world will still be online while this test is going on.

So the long and short is, I'm not too concerned since I live in Canada.
    11-04-11 02:37 PM
    Based on what I quickly read it seems this system shut down is "Nation-Wide" so it would actually only affect you folks in the USA. The rest of the world will still be online while this test is going on.

So the long and short is, I'm not too concerned since I live in Canada.
    Actually, you should be concerned with this. If the US screws the pouch on this, what dors this mean for other countries communications infrastructure?
    11-04-11 02:44 PM
    Sorry - still not concerned about this test. It's a 30 second broadcast message across the US.

I'm not saying that I don't concern myself about what happens in the US but I'm not concerned about this. I may be totally naive not to be concerned but I'm just not.

Actually, you should be concerned with this. If the US screws the pouch on this, what dors this mean for other countries communications infrastructure?
    11-04-11 03:05 PM
    It sounds so awesome
    11-04-11 04:25 PM
    Read the FEMA bulletin, this is a radio and television test of the emergency broadcast system in the US, it has nothing to do with cellular communications. You're attempting to raise concern where there is no need for concern.
    Michelle Haag, TheJlNC and Mastec like this.
    11-04-11 07:33 PM
    As a staunch supporter of the most secure network in the world, I was only sharing information that "may" be of concern to others who have not heard of this news.

Beyond interruption in service it is alarming that no one is pointing out the obvious.

It is not a test. A test would be done at 4 A.M. to see if their system is working properly. It is a demonstration. It is meant to interfere or interrupt communication, as it is occurring at 2:00 P.M in the middle of the day.
    11-04-11 08:19 PM
    As a staunch supporter of the most secure network in the world, I was only sharing information that "may" be of concern to others who have not heard of this news.

Beyond interruption in service it is alarming that no one is pointing out the obvious.

It is not a test. A test would be done at 4 A.M. to see if their system is working properly. It is a demonstration. It is meant to interfere or interrupt communication, as it is occurring at 2:00 P.M in the middle of the day.
    Time Zones(read the article). The test is going to be 30 seconds. You make it sound like the US will be in complete communication darkness for hours?
    11-04-11 09:09 PM
    T-Mobile already pulled the trigger early.

Everyone lived.

I'll not be going to see the movie, it's gonna suck and has a terrible ending.
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    11-04-11 10:24 PM
    Better not. That's my Bday.
    11-04-11 10:26 PM
    Read the bulletin..................
    Its a television and radio test, not a telecommunications problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    TheJlNC and Mastec like this.
    11-04-11 10:37 PM
    I read through those links, I don't even see where it said communication would be "down". It doesn't even mention phones of any kind, that I saw.

It's basically just like the already existing Emergency Broadcast messages that you see on tv or hear on the radio. They send an annoying alert message, that's it. It's never had an effect on BIS or your phone before, why would it now, just because it's going to be on a wider scale (ie nationwide as opposed to statewide)?

And why should a test be conducted at 4am? Maybe they want to test how it performs during a more peak time, to see how their systems hold up. More accurate to gauge at 2pm EST than 4am when everyone is asleep. Also, the point of conducting the monthly EBS alerts is kind of like fire drills in school. Gotta know what to do if/when that emergency hits, so practicing at 4am isn't going to reach many people.

Let's not create a panic where it's not needed.
    Bla1ze and TheJlNC like this.
    11-04-11 10:40 PM
    Michelle is absolutely correct, this is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System in the US, it has nothing to do with phones or communications at all. The links provided by the OP dont even mention phones. No one should worry about this.
    11-05-11 12:37 AM
    Well, the linked article re TMob in one of the posts above says it's mobile phones also. In any case, I think it's a studid thing. I hate my government's antics. Who's paying for the data used, and why is a technical failure of RIM's noc (BIS outage) not acceptable to so many while this intentional interruption of my paid for service is "nothing" and okay?
    11-05-11 06:52 AM
    11-05-11 06:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD