Will any other smartphone platforms try to immulate RIM's push email? I constantly hear the smartphone battle with the OS's and web browsing experience but never hear or see much about email.

I personally like the thought of some other types of phones, but would never get anything but a BB simply because the email support is way to important to me.

Any other phones going to try to rival a BB in email?
    02-20-10 12:09 PM
    It has taken Research in Motion a decade to build the infrastructure to make BES the most secure, non-military, communications platform. Corporations and Governments appreciate how important that is. The President still packs a BlackBerry.

Can the other guys do it? IMHO, The lead is insurmountable.
    02-20-10 12:31 PM
    I've sat next to friends with droids and iphones, sent out test messages to all at the same time and mine get delivered about 20 seconds before theirs, for the most part. Now that most smartphones have Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, RIM's lead in push email has been reduced dramatically. To me, it's the notification capabilities of the BB that still make the email/messaging functions the clear leader in mobile communication.
    02-20-10 02:07 PM
    Not everybody runs MS so if your company doesn't or you own your own small business, RIM still wins.
    02-20-10 02:19 PM
    I've sat next to friends with droids and iphones, sent out test messages to all at the same time and mine get delivered about 20 seconds before theirs, for the most part. Now that most smartphones have Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, RIM's lead in push email has been reduced dramatically. To me, it's the notification capabilities of the BB that still make the email/messaging functions the clear leader in mobile communication.
    But the big difference is battery life I think. They are polling and wasting valuable battery and CPU time. RIM phones just wait patiently for the info to come, then they go out and get it.
    02-20-10 04:57 PM
    yeah rim is too far ahead of the game. good luck trying to catchup now.
    02-20-10 05:17 PM
    But the big difference is battery life I think. They are polling and wasting valuable battery and CPU time. RIM phones just wait patiently for the info to come, then they go out and get it.
    Good point - battery life is definitely another advantage of bb's messaging capabilities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-10 09:34 PM
    RIM needs to keep working on their products to keep this lead insurmountable.
    02-21-10 03:30 AM
    RIM needs to keep working on their products to keep this lead insurmountable.
    even if they laid back, had a few beers and smoked cheeba, im sure their lead and technology wont be threatened by any other companies attempts at push email. especially no time soon, given their user base in flat out numbers.
    02-21-10 03:51 AM
    even if they laid back, had a few beers and smoked cheeba, im sure their lead and technology wont be threatened by any other companies attempts at push email. especially no time soon, given their user base in flat out numbers.
    Quite unfortunately, you're right. Not because of the gap in technological prowess, but because of a litany of patents enable then to sit on their haunches without the need to constantly innovate. Not a knock against RIM, just that while I understand and acknowledge that patents are there to protect intellectual property, the flip side is they impede innovation and foster anticompetitiveness. For a real world example of a company using their patents in this manner, please go to Palo Alto, California.

02-21-10 07:44 AM
    Quite unfortunately, you're right. Not because of the gap in technological prowess, but because of a litany of patents enable then to sit on their haunches without the need to constantly innovate. Not a knock against RIM, just that while I understand and acknowledge that patents are there to protect intellectual property, the flip side is they impede innovation and foster anticompetitiveness. For a real world example of a company using their patents in this manner, please go to Palo Alto, California.

im also talking about the shear number of people like us, businesses and governments that rely on them. there is really no way, millions of people would abandon the one technology and proven service they rely on to run their daily operations. they really have no competition when you look at the grand scheme of things, outside just being a smartphone.
    02-21-10 08:35 AM
    Here is my question, even with the Active sync and all of that, the PC has to be on for that email to be recieved on the phone correct. Also I just returned an HTC touch pro2 because Googles OS believes in the cloud architecture so emails pulled off the server don't save to the phone and I can't read old emails once my pc pulls them.
    02-25-10 03:18 PM
    Here is my question, even with the Active sync and all of that, the PC has to be on for that email to be recieved on the phone correct. Also I just returned an HTC touch pro2 because Googles OS believes in the cloud architecture so emails pulled off the server don't save to the phone and I can't read old emails once my pc pulls them.
    No, if you're running Exchange and enable EAS on your bb, the pc has nothing to do with delivery to your handheld. ActiveSync is actually called Exchange ActiveSync - meaning your phone is connected to the exchange server directly, bypassing your pc.

The only time you need a pc on for email delivery is if you are using BB Desktop redirector, which stinks anyhow.
    02-25-10 03:29 PM
    Good point - battery life is definitely another advantage of bb's messaging capabilities.

Word! It amazes me the batter life I get on my 9700 compared to my wife's mytouch3G. The difference is night and day. I can go a full two days to her one. Thing is I have a lot of down time with my job and she does not, which means I am on the net hours upon hours. She barely gets on her phone period. Love my 9700...**** even loved my Pearl when I had that.

02-25-10 04:07 PM
    No, if you're running Exchange and enable EAS on your bb, the pc has nothing to do with delivery to your handheld. ActiveSync is actually called Exchange ActiveSync - meaning your phone is connected to the exchange server directly, bypassing your pc.

The only time you need a pc on for email delivery is if you are using BB Desktop redirector, which stinks anyhow.
    Ok thanks, my email is through a company Cbeyond and we don't really have a lot of say on what runs on it. Does the Echange Active Sync require software to run on the email server and if I set it up on a windows or android phone? And will my messages save to my phone so that when I turn on my PC and remove the messages from the serve the messages that went to my phone stay there?
    02-25-10 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD