Will 6gb of data be good for this BlackBerry z10? The reason why I'm asking is that there isn't bis

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 11:01 AM
    Will 6gb of data be good for this BlackBerry z10? The reason why I'm asking is that there isn't bis

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    No way to be sure...depends on you. 6gb is what I have on an iphone, and I never go over about 4gb, that's with moderate video streaming, and considerable audio streaming. Put it this way: it's more than sufficient for the vast majority of people. You'd have to an unusually heavy user to go over.

I'd also say, that if you are just browsing and emailing, you WON'T go over. I won't vouch for it, but I've seen a rule of thumb that 1gb is roughly browsing 2500 webpages. That would equate to about 500 a day....or 40 an hour for 12 hours a day. I remember doing some detailed calculations for my audio streaming, when I started out....but I don't recall my numbers now. Pretty sure I decided that I would have to stream more than something like 4 hours a day, every day to go over. That might be possible...some days I certainly do more than that, but on average I don't. (this again would of course depend on what your source is.....the quality etc.)

EDIT: if you start streaming....netflix...you could easily go over! (ba-doom-boom!!!)
    Last edited by richardat; 02-10-13 at 11:36 AM.
    02-10-13 11:24 AM
    I agree.....Netflix to be done on wifi or suffer at the billing department.
    02-10-13 12:04 PM
    Depends on you and what you're saving. All my music files are not only live, but they are in flac file form.

One song can be anywhere from 50-80 mb, you time that by a 14 track Frank Zappa or Stan Getz album and data space becomes non-existent.
    02-10-13 01:02 PM
    If you're like me and have wifi at work, home, and coffee shops, then 6GB is more than enough.

The only place I don't have wifi is when I'm on the road, but I'm not really using much data. Maybe the GPS navigation app, but that doesn't take up much data as downloading music/movies.
    02-10-13 01:11 PM
    Found this info on my carrier's web page. Useful to estimate my usage per day

A web page 0.17 MB

A small novel 1 MB

A high-resolution photograph 2 MB

A game or app download 4 MB

A 10 minute YouTube video 10 MB

A full length MP3 album 60 MB

A feature length movie 700 MB

Now that I have 6 gig plan, I don't have to use my work wi-fi which is mercilessly blocked by websense to be of any use
    02-10-13 01:29 PM
    Yeall it really depends on you. How much did you use with BIS on? Bis compressed about a third if I'm not mistaken so do the math and approximate where you think you might be. But remember you might do a lot more since the z10 can do a lot more
    02-10-13 01:47 PM
    I share 6GB LTE across my phone and my huaband's iPad mini. We're both heavy users and we get close but don't go over. Until there are tons of streaming apps on BB10 I don't think you'll be in any danger unless you use it as a hotspot for your Mac or PC.

A lot of people have VASTLY overestimated the data compression that BIS provided. At one time, it was a signiciant savings over other types of data. In recent years however, most of the data a phone sucks in, especially in a browser, is already compressed. Ergo, the BIS doesn't compress it more. Streaming video, for instance, wouldn't be any more compressed over a BIS or non-BiS unless the BIS shaped the data and brought it in at a lower bitrate (and to my knowledge it never did that). Your messaging could conceivably use more now, but again, that data is now already compressed by the carriers when it pushes it across.

Set up usage alerts on your phone and change I'd necessary. Unles you're tethering I don't think you'll have a problem.
    02-10-13 02:43 PM
    Hi,

great thread really with lot of in i am going to read all reply here

Thanks,
    CloudIT
    02-10-13 02:47 PM
    Found this info on my carrier's web page. Useful to estimate my usage per day

A web page 0.17 MB

A small novel 1 MB

A high-resolution photograph 2 MB

A game or app download 4 MB

A 10 minute YouTube video 10 MB

A full length MP3 album 60 MB

A feature length movie 700 MB

Now that I have 6 gig plan, I don't have to use my work wi-fi which is mercilessly blocked by websense to be of any use
    Some of these are OK, but some are out to lunch I think! You're carrier needs to update the page from 1997! I thought the rule of thumb I posted for webpages was probably low..... 0.17 mb per page seems way out!
    02-10-13 11:43 PM
    6GB will be plenty for the average user.
    02-11-13 07:03 AM
    I have been using under 3gb using bridge every day for about 5 hours a day. I mostly surf, crackberry and other sites, email, very little youtube or videos and no radio streaming. Most of the time I've been under 2 gb.
    02-11-13 07:14 AM
    ****, I do not own the phone, but I am sure that if you arent on your phone all day, it should be enough for some youtube, browsing, BBM and all internet activities for a month. Dont fret,
    02-11-13 08:01 AM