What To Do With It?

First time I'm getting this feature on a CDMA phone.
    What are the main functions I will be able to use?

So far, I will be able to:
    .Talk and use data features (email,web,etc) at the same time
    Last edited by vassili95; 04-26-10 at 07:42 PM.
    04-26-10 07:28 PM
    You can surf the internet while you talk. And I think it's faster than 3G.
    04-26-10 07:36 PM
    What To Do With It?

First time I'm getting this feature on a CDMA phone.
    What are the main functions I will be able to use?
    Pretty much anything that uses data will be able to download the data quicker when you are using wifi. And like someone just said, should be able to surf and talk at the same time as long as you don't leave wifi area.
    04-26-10 07:38 PM
    Maybe I'll finally be able to use my berry as an automagic podcast catching machine. Podtrapper doesn't work well at all on my curve. Slows it badly.
    04-26-10 08:00 PM
    ok...I just want to make sure I understand the wifi. So you have to be at a starbucks, panera, wireless at home, etc. in order for the wifi to work correct?

*shields face from rocks being thrown for not already knowing the answer to this question lol*
    04-26-10 08:38 PM
    ok...I just want to make sure I understand the wifi. So you have to be at a starbucks, panera, wireless at home, etc. in order for the wifi to work correct?

*shields face from rocks being thrown for not already knowing the answer to this question lol*
    Oh wait was there a question? I was distracted by your beauty.
    04-26-10 08:59 PM

Yes, you need to be in a place that serves up a wifi signal for it to work. Your home, Starbucks, McDonalds, and so forth.
    04-26-10 09:07 PM
    There havent been that many apps developed that utilize the wifi on a Berry. I had a iPod Touch with wifi and I downloaded an app that allowed me to use it as a mouse for my laptop. Im about to buy a internet connected television, I would love to be able to use the BB as a remote control, lol. My point is that there are many uses for wifi on a Berry, maybe even wireless printing. My HP printer is wifi connected, and I believe Ive heard rumors about HP in development for a wireless printing app.

Here at my house I have a terrible data connection, I cant wait until I can read news websites when in bed at night. The wifi will really help with browsing speeds as well.
    04-26-10 10:50 PM
    Yes, you need to be in a place that serves up a wifi signal for it to work. Your home, Starbucks, McDonalds, and so forth.
    Delta Airlines says you are not allowed to use wi-fi inflight with a smartphone... odd as you can use your laptop to connect. I don't know how they can police that unless go-go service recognizes you are connecting via mobile device.
    04-26-10 11:09 PM

yes, but some places like Starbucks make you pay to use there WIFI though..

this will be my first WIFI phone, so I'm curious how this is all going to work myself
    04-27-10 07:35 AM
    yes, but some places like Starbucks make you pay to use there WIFI though..

this will be my first WIFI phone, so I'm curious how this is all going to work myself

WOW I am in Massillon and the Starbucks down here don't charge for the WIFI.
    I am thinking that one of the doors has a sign on it that says Free WiFi.
    04-27-10 08:05 AM
    WOW I am in Massillon and the Starbucks down here don't charge for the WIFI.
    I am thinking that one of the doors has a sign on it that says Free WiFi.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure most places like Starbucks or Panera don't charge to use their Wifi. Atleast everyone I have been to didn't

Edit:

Actually not 100% on starbucks but I know many other places have free wifi. I believe it's ATT customers get free wifi at starbucks.
    Last edited by kram941; 04-27-10 at 09:46 AM.
    04-27-10 09:12 AM
    Yeah I'm pretty sure most places like Starbucks or Panera don't charge to use their Wifi. Atleast everyone I have been to didn't
    i may be wrong about strarbucks then since obviously I dont have a WIFI phone yet. I could have sworn someone was telling me that starbucks charges to use there WIFI, but who knows
    04-27-10 09:22 AM
    mcdonalds has free wifi now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 09:43 AM
    mcdonalds has free wifi now.

I saw a Burger King that had free wifi also.
    04-27-10 10:24 AM
    Barnes and Noble now has free wifi as well.
    04-27-10 12:44 PM
    In the leaked 9650 manual, I read that this Blackberry will also be UMA-capable (look for the manual and read it under the Wi-fi section, it's there), so maybe you could also enter T-mobile or any other supported carrier's UMA settings via the engineering screen and get that working?
    04-27-10 01:47 PM
    OK that's what I thought. Thanks! I am trying to make myself feel better about this 9630 I have....LOL. I think I can do without the WiFi. The trackpad I have tried on the Curve and its cool but I'm trying to love my 9630 since I'm stuck with it for a year.

@ibbeach LOL thanks!

04-28-10 01:24 AM
    So wifi calls will be able to be made with the 9650?? I thought that cdma wouldn't handle wifi calls and surfing on the net. When did all this change??

04-28-10 10:03 PM
    So wifi calls will be able to be made with the 9650?? I thought that cdma wouldn't handle wifi calls and surfing on the net. When did all this change??

thats what WTDWI is which allows you to make calls and surf the web at the same time, a logn with e-mails ect.... you can only do that with WIFI turned ON. without WIFI turns on, you cannot surf the web while on a call, only when WIFI is on
    04-29-10 07:53 PM
    thats what WTDWI is which allows you to make calls and surf the web at the same time, a logn with e-mails ect.... you can only do that with WIFI turned ON. without WIFI turns on, you cannot surf the web while on a call, only when WIFI is on
    But my point was all along people said CDMA didn't have the capabilty to allow surfing while talking on wifi not to mention the unit not having UTA or whatever it is. I'm excited it will have these updated features. My next question is if I'm traveling outside of the usa, can I make free calls to the usa on wifi?? Or can I call from here to other countries on the wifi for free??

04-29-10 09:28 PM
    I thought all McDonalds had wifi, but driving in South Carolina, there was at least one - maybe two - that tried to get me to register with a credit card. I did not look to see if there was a specific charge, I just got outta there!

For Starbucks, there are several that will ask if you have one of their pre-paid coffee cards. If you do, and you register the card, you get free wifi connections. I have a card that is about two years old, I think it has a balance of about $.67 on it, but it still worked to get me into the system.

Panera is always free, in the ones I have visited. I do a lot of business meetings in these places, for the convenience of my clients and contacts, so this is regularly something I pay attention to.
    04-30-10 05:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD