got to wifi options>wifi tools>wifi diagnostics
    scroll to the bottom and check the blackberry infrastructure section. if you don't have an x beside connecting, keep waiting
    yeah i have the X, i guess i'll wait it out for a bit and then re-register and send service books. What do you think?

EDIT: Verizon tech support rep said he's going to do a bit more research to see if there's any more info regarding this issue. He said the phone is so young (esp. wifi) that they haven't been able to work out all the bugs. He's going to call me back if they find anything out, and obviously i'll post it in here. IN the meantime, it's the waiting/battery pull/register now/send service books game.
    Last edited by bimmerd00d; 10-29-09 at 11:53 AM.
    10-29-09 11:45 AM
    yeah once you get the x it isn't going to happen. try re-registering
    10-29-09 11:53 AM
    I read somewhere on here that if you change the browser in options from "Internet Browser" to "Hotspot" the wifi will work? I'm at work so I can't confirm if this works. Anyone wanna give it a go?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The WiFi works fine for browsing, the issue is connecting to RIM's servers (BIS) to get email and BlackBerry Messenger

I got the fix.

You have to call VZW tech support, tell them you want to activate your sim card (no global plan necessary). Once they do that you should receive the proper service books and setting in the VZW system.

The reason I found this is because the BlackBerry servers need to authenticate you through wifi and their servers are setup to do this via sim card. Since it was built on UMA and that's a GSM technology they already have it provisioned once the sim is registered.

Hope this helps some folks out.
    I had my Vodafone SIM card activated from the beginning and it made zero difference.

Are you saying that now you get the white WiFi logo (in WiFi Diagnostics BlackBerry Infrastructure does not show a red X next to Connecting) when on Verizon's network?

EDIT: I just played around some more with my activated Vodafone SIM card in the phone and still cannot get WiFi to recognize RIM's servers when in CDMA. I don't see this as the fix. Keep looking.
    Last edited by BigVDawgy; 10-29-09 at 12:14 PM.
    10-29-09 11:56 AM
    Lump me in to the wifi issue. Just received 2 new Storms. One I transferred over from Bold, the other I just set up manually. Neither of them are working. They say something like "failed to obtain IP address".
    10-29-09 12:11 PM
    It also explains why it works for people with unlocked Storm2's. For GSM Wifi is already established and CDMA is just getting it. Since they already use it on their GSM side and (as of now) the only CDMA Wifi BlackBerry is a Storm2 which uses GSM technology, it makes since this is how they would implement it.
    Does having the setting set to 1XEV and home only affect anything even if we activate the Sim card? Just curious. Just activated and resent service books from work but no wifi so can't test till I get home. Anyone else activate their Sim and try this yet?

10-29-09 12:14 PM
    Weird thing for me is, I was streaming Pandora and surfing CB on just wifi and had the good wifi logo. Tried to send an email just to see and in my messages folder the wifi is greyed out.
    10-29-09 12:18 PM
    I still got nothing after having the sim card activated. Been about 30min or so now.
    10-29-09 12:25 PM
    I still got nothing after having the sim card activated. Been about 30min or so now.
    did you do a battery pull and have the service books resent? The girl on thee gone from Verizon was actually very knowledgeable and if that didn't fix it she said to call back. She seemed to think this should do it though we all know how that goes. I could call back and get someone who says the complete opposite.

Last edited by rocky271; 10-29-09 at 12:35 PM.
    10-29-09 12:28 PM
    On the phone with Verizon for 35 mins...she puts me on hold....HANGS UP ON ME....I just wasted 35mins of my life....
    10-29-09 12:36 PM
    I just checked, up till now I had always tested withthe Network off, but I get the lit up WIFI connection while still connected to verizon.
    10-29-09 12:36 PM
    I just checked, up till now I had always tested withthe Network off, but I get the lit up WIFI connection while still connected to verizon.
    do you have your sim activated? and what is your location city?
    10-29-09 12:38 PM
    I do have to say it's definitely a feature worth having. I was just on a conference call with the phone on AT&T and was able to send and receive email, BlackBerry Message and check web pages via WiFi at the same time. What a business phone is meant to be.
    10-29-09 12:38 PM
    Anyone get it working after having it previously not working?
    10-29-09 12:45 PM
    It's definitely something related to the Verizon Network that is causing it.

When on AT&T I am able to establish a solid WiFi connection (the WiFi logo is white and I am connected to RIM's servers). I notice that when on AT&T there are no WiFi Service Books. I can turn off the radio, still maintaining the WiFi connection and switch to CDMA and do not lose the WiFi until I turn the radio back on (Verizon's Network). Once Verizon's Network is turned back on the WiFi Service Books show on the phone.

EDIT: Deleting the Service Books didn't help
    Last edited by BigVDawgy; 10-29-09 at 12:56 PM.
    10-29-09 12:50 PM
    do you have your sim activated? and what is your location city?
    Yes Sim is activated with International Data Plan, and I am in Pittsburgh, PA.
    Last edited by bmtbandit; 10-29-09 at 01:06 PM.
    10-29-09 01:04 PM
    international data plan or just international roaming?
    10-29-09 01:05 PM
    I have the plan that charges you when you go international and it's not working. Do i need to call and actually pay for an international plan for this to work?????
    10-29-09 01:07 PM
    I actually have the Data Plan, as I am out of Country very often.
    10-29-09 01:07 PM
    I actually have the Data Plan, as I am out of Country very often.
    This might be it.
    10-29-09 01:09 PM
    This might be it.
    If that's the case then Verizon is crippling it. If so the Storm2 goes back to the store and I get an iPhone on AT&T tomorrow.
    10-29-09 01:13 PM
    Are you using a theme? because my phone isn't laid out like this.
    10-29-09 01:14 PM
    Are you using a theme? because my phone isn't laid out like this.
    Yes, that is a Theme I am running. Custom Made, just a basic today Plus theme.
    10-29-09 01:16 PM
    OK just got off the phone with verizon and blackberry...activated global sim card with verizon...but still have the red x next to connecting...she connects me to a guy with blackberry who thought he was a blackberry god...all he does is change my browser option from internet browser to hotspot...so i turn off the mobile network and yes i can still use my browser but no email or messenger. So all this ***** did wash try to bash me for checking on CB and want to get off the phone.
    10-29-09 01:54 PM
    Going to try and give VZW another call. Will update shortly.
    10-29-09 01:57 PM
    just call to Activate Sim Card.. to global support
    and BAM is working with mobile network ON/OFF, the WIFI logo is WHITE(highlighted)
    10-29-09 02:05 PM
338 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD