Thanks, I am tempted to call verizon and have them turn on an international plan for a day to see if that fixes it... Might make them remove the service books and re-apply them as well.
    10-29-09 09:53 AM
    ok i have a question, it says im connected to the wi-fi network here at my school, but then prompts me to do the hotspot login. is that necessary to make the wifi work? because everytime i try to do it, it gives me an error that reads like this, "Java plug-in is not installed in your browser. Java applet is disabled in your browser's security settings."
    That could be the school WiFi security, kinda like going to a hotel and having to agree to the TOS before you can use it. Make sure that you have the Java boxes checked in your general options for your hot-spot browser.
    10-29-09 09:55 AM
    That could be the school WiFi security, kinda like going to a hotel and having to agree to the TOS before you can use it. Make sure that you have the Java boxes checked in your general options for your hot-spot browser.
    well i went through and checked the boxes for java and even changed my browser to internet explorer from blackberry. and now its telling me that cisco clean access java applet web client could not be launched. i think it really is this college's network settings though because when i clicked the download button at the bottom it says that the setup file is not available for download and to contact the network admin. guess i just gotta wait until i get home to try again. thanks for the hlep
    10-29-09 09:59 AM
    I connected to my school's Wi-Fi. I searched the network, connected which then brought me to the "hot spot" login in. I used my id and password, it connected. From previous posts, I have the two service books about wi-fi. Under Wi-Fi Diagnostics, the status is : NETWORK ACQUIRED, VPN Status: VPN PROFILE NOT FOUND, BB Infrastructure: RED 'X' next to CONNECTING.

Thats where Im at with this issue right now.
    10-29-09 10:12 AM
    verizon has to be blocking it in areas where they think they have sufficient coverage. Anyone in Orlando get it working?

I just talked to a vzw rep at their store. After i explained that i got it to work in gsm mode he told me in his opinion it appears that verizon is blocking the bis wifi service. Much like how they blocked gps and other things before.
    10-29-09 10:32 AM
    verizon has to be blocking it in areas where they think they have sufficient coverage. Anyone in Orlando get it working?

I just talked to a vzw rep at their store. After i explained that i got it to work in gsm mode he told me in his opinion it appears that verizon is blocking the bis wifi service. Much like how they blocked gps and other things before.
    Then explain how MikeAllard has his working on BIS?
    10-29-09 10:35 AM
    Then explain how MikeAllard has his working on BIS?
    Like i said. it might be a location thing. Not great coverage in new Hampshire? I believe verizon thinks if they have good enough coverage we won't notice that the wifi isn't working properly.
    10-29-09 10:41 AM
    Coverage is fine, as you can see from the screen shot. But the Geographical theory has yet to be disproven.Attachment 43271
    10-29-09 10:47 AM
    that would make sense, i'll be traveling to an area with minimal vzw coverage but good wifi this weekend if someone doesn't report back before then.
    10-29-09 10:53 AM
    I read somewhere on here that if you change the browser in options from "Internet Browser" to "Hotspot" the wifi will work? I'm at work so I can't confirm if this works. Anyone wanna give it a go?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 10:56 AM
    I read somewhere on here that if you change the browser in options from "Internet Browser" to "Hotspot" the wifi will work? I'm at work so I can't confirm if this works. Anyone wanna give it a go?

Did that. No luck.

10-29-09 10:57 AM
    I got the fix.

You have to call VZW tech support, tell them you want to activate your sim card (no global plan necessary). Once they do that you should receive the proper service books and setting in the VZW system.

The reason I found this is because the BlackBerry servers need to authenticate you through wifi and their servers are setup to do this via sim card. Since it was built on UMA and that's a GSM technology they already have it provisioned once the sim is registered.

Hope this helps some folks out.
    Last edited by baggyp; 10-29-09 at 11:04 AM.
    10-29-09 10:59 AM
    I got the fix.

You have to call VZW tech support, tell them you want to activate your sim card (no global plan necessary). Once they do that you should receive the proper service books and setting in the VZW system.

The reason I found this is because the BlackBerry servers need to authenticate you through wifi and their servers are setup to do this via sim card. Since it was built on UMA and that's a GSM technology they already have it provisioned once the sim is registered.

i'm about to confirm or deny this, on phone with tech support now adding this plan

Added this, so far it's not changing a thing. I had him activate the pay per use global plan on my sim card.
    Last edited by bimmerd00d; 10-29-09 at 11:20 AM.
    10-29-09 11:14 AM
    Works...but it only seems to work for web browsing...i don't seem to be getting emails or am able to send BBMs on wifi :X
    Same here. I thought i would be able to though?
    10-29-09 11:17 AM
    I got the fix.

Trying now...
    10-29-09 11:20 AM
    i'm about to confirm or deny this, on phone with tech support now adding this plan

Added this, so far it's not changing a thing. I had him activate the pay per use global plan on my sim card.
    Make sure they register your sim card. Also do a batt pull and register your phone under host routing table.

Also, once I did it it took a little bit for it to update on my phone, maybe 10-15 min. I would assume once Verizon provissions it on their side it has to go to the BlackBerry servers.
    Last edited by baggyp; 10-29-09 at 11:25 AM.
    10-29-09 11:22 AM
    I got the fix.

This would also explain why it works for me. I have teh International Data Plan and sim card registered.
    10-29-09 11:26 AM
    Make sure they register your sim card. Also do a batt pull and register your phone under host routing table.

Also, once I did it it took a little bit for it to update on my phone, maybe 10-15 min. I would assume once Verizon provissions it on their side it has to go to the BlackBerry servers.
    provisioned with Verizon, still got the grey icon on mine. It's been about 8min now, he's looking at some stuff on his side. He found a document saying some of the things you said, i guess it's the waiting game now. Done battery pulls, host routing table, nothing is workin yet. I'm still on hold with the VZW guy too, i guess he's sticking it out til i get teh white icon.
    Last edited by bimmerd00d; 10-29-09 at 11:34 AM.
    10-29-09 11:28 AM
    If you do this and get the sim activated will it cost money? I mean just to use it with the wifi like this.
    10-29-09 11:33 AM
    If you do this and get the sim activated will it cost money? I mean just to use it with the wifi like this.
    what i was told is that you'll be charged for international use only if you travel internationally to vodafone's network. It will not be charged if you stick in the US
    10-29-09 11:35 AM
    This would also explain why it works for me. I have teh International Data Plan and sim card registered.
    It also explains why it works for people with unlocked Storm2's. For GSM Wifi is already established and CDMA is just getting it. Since they already use it on their GSM side and (as of now) the only CDMA Wifi BlackBerry is a Storm2 which uses GSM technology, it makes since this is how they would implement it.
    10-29-09 11:35 AM
    I have an activated sim. It wasn't in my phone though because i unlocked it and put in my international sim (LIME). trying with my verizon sim installed. checking it now.
    10-29-09 11:36 AM
    It also explains why it works for people with unlocked Storm2's. For GSM Wifi is already established and CDMA is just getting it. Since they already use it on their GSM side and (as of now) the only CDMA Wifi BlackBerry is a Storm2 which uses GSM technology, it makes since this is how they would implement it.
    It's still not working for me. Maybe i haven't waited long enough?
    10-29-09 11:39 AM
    all good here
    10-29-09 11:42 AM
    got to wifi options>wifi tools>wifi diagnostics
    scroll to the bottom and check the blackberry infrastructure section. if you don't have an x beside connecting, keep waiting
    10-29-09 11:43 AM
338 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD