Please help. I keep getting "Failed to associate with the network". The wifi is logo is greyed out. I have tried No security Wifi, WPS with Pin and button push, Manual entry. Dear God what the heck is going on. Im on 3 hours. VZW tech support said they do not support wifi.
    10-28-09 10:49 PM
    VZW not supporting wifi is bs. It is there product. Judging by how many are affected I imagine something is going to have to be done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 10:58 PM
    Please help. I keep getting "Failed to associate with the network". The wifi is logo is greyed out. I have tried No security Wifi, WPS with Pin and button push, Manual entry. Dear God what the heck is going on. Im on 3 hours. VZW tech support said they do not support wifi.
    Are you sure you router doesn't have a MAC filter set for your router? It seems most ppl here can connect to WIFI, just not RIM's server.
    10-28-09 11:04 PM
    See, i've been saying it's a Verizon issue! Like i said, when i called verizon wireless at around noon EST after recognizing the issue on my device the guy was clueless. He had no idea, in fact i had to tell him to go to page 35 in the tips and tricks and i read to him exactly what it said.

He said it must be a RIM issue. He put me on the line with RIM, the guy investigated it a bit, had me send my pin to my pin (i dont exactly know the procedure, but i basically sent an email of my pin to my pin) which failed, he checked my PIN against their database and said it was a green light.

He basically told me that this was clearly a Verizon problem, that they were not supporting UMA and that i should call them in a week or so to see if they began supporting it or when they will.

I'm going to be calling tomorrow and at the very least voicing my dissatisfaction that they are advertising a feature that they apparently are not currently supporting.
    10-28-09 11:05 PM
    But some with Verizon say it works for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm running OS 5.0.0.320, maybe the few that got it to work have an earlier OS. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was intentional from Verizon. After all just take a look at their track record, they heavily crippled bluetooth in the beginning, then crippled GPS, we all know VZW had a hand in keeping WiFi off Storm 1.
    10-28-09 11:06 PM
    Are you sure you router doesn't have a MAC filter set for your router? It seems most ppl here can connect to WIFI, just not RIM's server.

WHat is that and where do I look on my netgear
    10-28-09 11:06 PM
    WHat is that and where do I look on my netgear
    How can i turn mac filter off n netgear router - FixYa

I don't have a netgear router, but here is a quick google result.
    10-28-09 11:11 PM
    How can i turn mac filter off n netgear router - FixYa

I don't have a netgear router, but here is a quick google result.

That was the problem. Thank you!
    Last edited by 9530newbie; 10-28-09 at 11:24 PM.
    10-28-09 11:14 PM
    That was the problem. Thank you!

what about those of us using an apple airport? it's showing up on the phone, but still greyed out. bleh
    10-28-09 11:30 PM
    what about those of us using an apple airport? it's showing up on the phone, but still greyed out. bleh
    I think the fix 9530newbie resolved was getting the basic grayed out WiFi connection in the first place. I'm assuming he/she is in the same boat as most of the rest of us and unable to get the white WiFi logo
    10-28-09 11:34 PM
    is it the minority or majority of people having this WIFI issue?? and are some people who think they don't have this issue actually affected?
    10-28-09 11:40 PM
    just reset my fios router, has the latest firmware, it has mac authentication disabled, deleted the profile and pulled the battery and still no go for launch...
    Last edited by RushTheBus; 10-28-09 at 11:50 PM.
    10-28-09 11:47 PM
    I'm running OS 5.0.0.320, maybe the few that got it to work have an earlier OS. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was intentional from Verizon. After all just take a look at their track record, they heavily crippled bluetooth in the beginning, then crippled GPS, we all know VZW had a hand in keeping WiFi off Storm 1.
    No I don't buy that they crippled it. They have a ton of phones with WIFI before the storm 2 and they all work flawless. THey advertised being able to send that presentation by email, and surf the web while on a call in that launch pamphlet that was leaked. This has got to be some kind of software issue.
    10-28-09 11:54 PM
    No I don't buy that they crippled it. They have a ton of phones with WIFI before the storm 2 and they all work flawless. THey advertised being able to send that presentation by email, and surf the web while on a call in that launch pamphlet that was leaked. This has got to be some kind of software issue.
    I agree, i just rest my router (which is a verizon equipment) and checked everything from within the router settings. MAC auth is disabled and the router displays the phone and shows it has being active when hooked up...only other thing i'm thinking it could be is the firewall within the router?
    10-28-09 11:58 PM
    I hope you are right, but having only WiFi enabled on Storm2 to surf the web through the browser is pretty much the same as the other phones on VZW with WiFi. Those phones also didn't require a $30 BIS data plan. I'm just saying, they have done it every single time before (bluetooth, GPS, etc), why should I expect something different this time? I really do hope they fix this and prove me wrong.
    10-29-09 12:13 AM
    I dunno if this has been covered already but I'll state it just for the record:

If you download the Pandora app, it works with the wifi signal.

Just to be sure I set the options in the menu so that it would only play music if it was connected to a wifi network.

I still have a grayed out wifi logo on my screen though. But when I use my browser it shows my wifi logo in the top right. I don't know if it always says this, but when I go to my "Go To..." on the top on the black banner where it shows the wifi logo on the right, it says "Hotspot Browser". But again, still a grayed out wifi logo.
    10-29-09 12:13 AM
    I agree, i just rest my router (which is a verizon equipment) and checked everything from within the router settings. MAC auth is disabled and the router displays the phone and shows it has being active when hooked up...only other thing i'm thinking it could be is the firewall within the router?
    I went through the same trouble, but when it works on GSM (AT&T) and not Verizon with every other variable the same, it rules out quite a bit.
    10-29-09 12:17 AM
    See, i've been saying it's a Verizon issue! Like i said, when i called verizon wireless at around noon EST after recognizing the issue on my device the guy was clueless. He had no idea, in fact i had to tell him to go to page 35 in the tips and tricks and i read to him exactly what it said.

He said it must be a RIM issue. He put me on the line with RIM, the guy investigated it a bit, had me send my pin to my pin (i dont exactly know the procedure, but i basically sent an email of my pin to my pin) which failed, he checked my PIN against their database and said it was a green light.

He basically told me that this was clearly a Verizon problem, that they were not supporting UMA and that i should call them in a week or so to see if they began supporting it or when they will.

I'm going to be calling tomorrow and at the very least voicing my dissatisfaction that they are advertising a feature that they apparently are not currently supporting.
    Are you saying VZW will support UMA soon??
    10-29-09 12:51 AM
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...WiFi working fine. There are a lot of variables in the phones themselves, and now throwing WiFi in we add a ton more variables. Potential issues with routers, firewalls, internet providers, their firewalls, interference (2.4 Ghz phones can cripple WiFi), etc.

Since mine works, meaning I can shut of the EVDO signal, see only WiFi, and still browse, send and receive push Email, alerts and all, here are some of my variables:

Netgear Router, MAC filter enabled, I did enter the Storm2's MAC address into the router to allow access.

My internet provider is Comcast.

I am in New Hampshire.

I did a change device switch from a Storm1 to a Storm 2.

I do have the international coverage.

I do not use an enterprise server.

Service Book Includes:

√ Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [BrowserConfig]
    √ Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPTCP]

Host Routing Table:

WiFi[60]

Network Options: Automatic, and GLOBAL. Valid activated SIM card.

Some thoughts:

I believe the phone software is sensing which signal is best to use, and using it. So if I have strong WiFi, I see that lit up, and it is used for browsing. When I move far from the router, I see the Wireless Network Name listed, but the WiFi logo not lit. When I browse, it uses the EVDO. I stay ther, shut off the EVDO signal, when I browse it uses the WiFi, then the WiFi logo lights up again (maybe has something to do with why WiFi works in GSM mode?)
    Last edited by MikeAllard; 10-29-09 at 12:30 PM.
    10-29-09 04:49 AM
    its not a Verizon thing.

I'm on Vodafone UK and the phone is just refusing to use the wifi at all even when the symbol is fully white and lit up. although 99% of the time it stays greyed out as it can't connect to the blackberry service through my wifi connection for some reason.

EDIT UPDATE WITH WIFI DIAG LOG

I've highlighted the bit in bold that concerns me from the diag, its attempting to connect to an invalid IP address? Thats gotta be a software bug if anything

-----

Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: hinch
    SSID: hinch
    AP MAC Address: 00:24:B2:2E:5E:BE
    Security Type: WEP
    Association: Successful
    Authentication: Successful
    Local IP Address: 192.168.0.10
    Signal Level: -52 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 48 Mbps
    Authentication Failure Reason:
    Network Type: 802.11b/g
    Network Channel: 11
    Pairwise Cipher: Not Applicable
    Group Cipher: Not Applicable
    Gateway Address: 192.168.0.1
    DHCP: Successful
    Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    DNS suffix:
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Server Domain Suffix:
    Certificate: Not Applicable
    Software Token: Not Applicable
    Hotspot Code:
    Hotspot Message: Not Applicable
    Hotspot Status: Not Applicable

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: N/A
    Secure Device IP:
    Resolving Concentrator: N/A
    Concentrator IP:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    DNS Suffix:
    Secure Subnet Mask:
    Retry at:
    Session Lifetime:
    Re-login at:
    Failed Login Attempts: 0
    Certificate: Not Applicable
    Software Token:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Address Used: ,193.109.81.88
    IP Used:
    Connecting: Error
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    Last Contact At:
    Last edited by hinchles; 10-29-09 at 05:30 AM.
    10-29-09 05:19 AM
    Stupid Question...but is everyone on the same OS? Cause when I bought my phone yesterday, I asked them if the phone was updated with the new OS. The tech said that they did on some, but not on others. Said that the boxes with a yellow sticker on it, were updated(and mine was one of them). Not sure if the new OS has anything to do with it. Just wanted to throw that out there...probably nothing. My Wifi is not working btw.
    10-29-09 07:54 AM
    Stupid Question...but is everyone on the same OS? Cause when I bought my phone yesterday, I asked them if the phone was updated with the new OS. The tech said that they did on some, but not on others. Said that the boxes with a yellow sticker on it, were updated(and mine was one of them). Not sure if the new OS has anything to do with it. Just wanted to throw that out there...probably nothing. My Wifi is not working btw.
    So what is your OS version?
    10-29-09 08:00 AM
    Could it be my internet service provider having a conflict? I get it to work in gsm mode when i am roaming on ATT, and i have bellsouth as my internet provider(att). Could Att be blocking verizon blackberry services?
    10-29-09 08:21 AM
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...WiFi working fine. There are a lot of variables in the phones themselves, and now throwing WiFi in we add a ton more variables. Potential issues with routers, firewalls, internet providers, their firewalls, interference (2.4 Ghz phones can cripple WiFi), etc.

Since mine works, meaning I can shut of the EVDO signal, see only WiFi, and still browse, send and receive push Email, alerts and all, here are some of my variables:

Netgear Router, MAC filter enabled, I did enter the Storm2's MAC address into the router to allow access.

My internet provider is Comcast.

I did a change device switch from a Storm1 to a Storm 2.

I do have the international coverage.

I do not use an enterprise server.

Some thoughts:

I believe the phone software is sensing which signal is best to use, and using it. So if I have strong WiFi, I see that lit up, and it is used for browsing. When I move far from the router, I see the Wireless Network Name listed, but the WiFi logo not lit. When I browse, it uses the EVDO. I stay ther, shut off the EVDO signal, when I browse it uses the WiFi, then the WiFi logo lights up again (maybe has something to do with why WiFi works in GSM mode?)
    Makes sense, only thing is, when I shut off my radio (zero signal) when on Verizon I still cannot get WiFi logo to turn white and connect to RIM servers. It works just like its supposed to when on AT&T though

Could it be my internet service provider having a conflict? I get it to work in gsm mode when i am roaming on ATT, and i have bellsouth as my internet provider(att). Could Att be blocking verizon blackberry services?
    I'm using Comcast internet.

EDIT: Another reason to rule out blocking by service provider, I am able to ping the RIM server (the same IP address to RIM when connecting over AT&T) when on Verizon.
    Last edited by BigVDawgy; 10-29-09 at 10:05 AM.
    10-29-09 08:27 AM
    v5.0.0.320
    10-29-09 08:33 AM
338 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD