I was looking through the online 9550 manual and according to it, you can access blackberry services only if you're carrier has enabled UMA. Maybe that is unlocked for international use...but definitely not on the home network.
    My phone is unlocked for International use but I am unable to connect to RIM's servers through WiFi. Also, connecting to RIM's servers via WiFi is known to work with other devices like the Bold on AT&T's network but is not working with the Storm2 when running on AT&T.
    10-28-09 08:57 PM
    That doesn't make any sense, if you have it working in GSM radio on, then you can turn off the mobile connection to use wifi only.
    yes this work. then i can use all the blackberry services. BUT for this i have to be registered on the gsm network. So i won't get my emails coming thru. And when i switch back and register to the verizon network the icon goes grey and i am back to the dark ages.
    10-28-09 09:01 PM
    I just got off the phone with RIM. The agent didn't seem to know about any known issues. I have more than 1 problem though. My phone will connect to my WAN ONLY when i set it up manually. It will not work with scan for networks. When the phone asks me to input the generated PIN my router updates but the phone times out. We took away the security on my WAN and tried to see if it would connect on an open source. It did not, it asked for me to input the PIN. When my phone does connect manually, it will show me the greyed out WiFi icon and show me that I am connected to my WAN but will only let me browse the internet, (slow, I might add).

After a few more TS techniques, he put me on hold to see if there were known issues. When he got back on, he told me that since the phone was so new there is no way for him to track any known issues and that he would have to set me up with a call back on Sunday. He told me what he thinks is the problem is the Firmware of the Router or the brand of the Router itself. I informed him that i frequent Crackberry and that I'm not the only one with this issue. He told me would look into it and call me back on Sunday. Nothing solved, but I hope this post helps find the root cause.

I have a Dynex Router by the way.
    10-28-09 09:13 PM
    I just got off the phone with RIM. The agent didn't seem to know about any known issues. I have more than 1 problem though. My phone will connect to my WAN ONLY when i set it up manually. It will not work with scan for networks. When the phone asks me to input the generated PIN my router updates but the phone times out. We took away the security on my WAN and tried to see if it would connect on an open source. It did not, it asked for me to input the PIN. When my phone does connect manually, it will show me the greyed out WiFi icon and show me that I am connected to my WAN but will only let me browse the internet, (slow, I might add).

After a few more TS techniques, he put me on hold to see if there were known issues. When he got back on, he told me that since the phone was so new there is no way for him to track any known issues and that he would have to set me up with a call back on Sunday. He told me what he thinks is the problem is the Firmware of the Router or the brand of the Router itself. I informed him that i frequent Crackberry and that I'm not the only one with this issue. He told me would look into it and call me back on Sunday. Nothing solved, but I hope this post helps find the root cause.

I have a Dynex Router by the way.
    When you do get a call back, I would greatly appreciate it if you post what you learn, because this is driving me nuts.
    10-28-09 09:16 PM
    Ok so apparently above the time it actually says my network name showing it's connected and I have the wifi logo beneath the 3g icon in the upper right corner of the screen it's just grayed out. When I run the diagnostics on it in the bottom under Blackberry Infrastructure there is a red x in connecting and when I click view item it says "Connecting: Error" any one have any clue on what is keeping this wifi logo from turning white? I even turned off my firewall to see if that was the issue. Little things like this drive me nuts until I can figure it out. It's amazing that with all the people on here, none of us can figure this out.
    10-28-09 09:44 PM
    Ok so apparently above the time it actually says my network name showing it's connected and I have the wifi logo beneath the 3g icon in the upper right corner of the screen it's just grayed out. When I run the diagnostics on it in the bottom under Blackberry Infrastructure there is a red x in connecting and when I click view item it says "Connecting: Error" any one have any clue on what is keeping this wifi logo from turning white? I even turned off my firewall to see if that was the issue. Little things like this drive me nuts until I can figure it out. It's amazing that with all the people on here, none of us can figure this out.

I too am having the same issues. It's REALLY bothering me.
    10-28-09 09:51 PM
    This wifi talk had me worried and mine was grayed out for about 2 minutes then came right.
    10-28-09 09:53 PM
    ok turned my phone radio off and this is what i got..
    BBM NO
    EMAIL NO
    EMAIL SETTINGS NO
    VIIGO NO
    SOCIALSCOPE YES
    BROWSER YES
    10-28-09 09:56 PM
    I spoke to verizon for about an hour and a half regarding this issue. (Debbie in the Rochester call center and Kevin in the Idaho call center) and was ultimately told that Verizon is not supporting wifi. Gods honest truth. While they were pleasant, I don't believe it but that's the support I got. I was told to call RIM (18772552377 fee based) for support. I am on hold with RIM and they are calling verizon to get me the correct support number for Verizon. This girl at RIM said she never heard of verizon not supporting wifi. What a joke.
    10-28-09 09:59 PM
    Just my two cents here,

Having the same issues with wi-fi. It will find my network accept my wep key, however the dash in the box, and the grayed out wi-fi logo are still there. So I took the phone back to Verizon. The rep was very helpful, she understood the problem and thought it was odd. So she pulled the working display and we walked over to an open network router inside the BJ's store. We both did the same steps on each of the respectively. Networks were found, but her displayed model picked up the network gave the green check mark and showed the white wi-fi logo. Mine however did the same thing as stated before. She actually open 5 more boxes and we tried each. All doing the same grayed out wi-fi and connection error. At that point we were both stumped. Needless to say I am still home with my new storm2 with the same problem.

I can browse when the network is turned off, but nothing to say that I am actually connected.
    10-28-09 09:59 PM
    Just my two cents here,
    Having the same issues with wi-fi. It will find my network accept my wep key, however the dash in the box, and the grayed out wi-fi logo are still there. So I took the phone back to Verizon. The rep was very helpful, she understood the problem and thought it was odd. So she pulled the working display and we walked over to an open network router inside the BJ's store. We both did the same steps on each of the respectively. Networks were found, but her displayed model picked up the network gave the green check mark and showed the white wi-fi logo. Mine however did the same thing as stated before. She actually open 5 more boxes and we tried each. All doing the same grayed out wi-fi and connection error. At that point we were both stumped. Needless to say I am still home with my new storm2 with the same problem.

I can browse when the network is turned off, but nothing to say that I am actually connected.
    You should have checked whether the os version is the same on the display model, if it is NOT, then it is a sw issue.
    10-28-09 10:04 PM
    Anyone one look at the Default permissions?
    10-28-09 10:04 PM
    Did the people with the problems do a device switch? i am reaching here. there must be an answer to this
    10-28-09 10:07 PM
    Did the people with the problems do a device switch? i am reaching here. there must be an answer to this
    It's not a HW issue, why switch devices, just wait for a fix for the issue. It is not like you cannot connect to the network, it is you cannot connect to RIM server...
    10-28-09 10:09 PM
    It's not a HW issue, why switch devices, just wait for a fix for the issue. It is not like you cannot connect to the network, it is you cannot connect to RIM server...
    Correct if wifi wasn't working at all it would be a HW issue. But we can browse internet so it should be software problem which is good because it can be fixed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 10:11 PM
    Sorry i wasn't clear. I meant a device switch via the desktop manager. Where you move all your settings from your old blackberry to your new one.
    10-28-09 10:11 PM
    Anyone one look at the Default permissions?
    I just set all mine to allow, and no joy.
    10-28-09 10:20 PM
    Sorry i wasn't clear. I meant a device switch via the desktop manager. Where you move all your settings from your old blackberry to your new one.
    I have 2 storm 2's, one had a device switch done from my ATT Bold, the other is a fresh new line on VZW. niether can connect to multiple different wifi networks with a white icon.
    10-28-09 10:21 PM
    is this the connection that is causing the problem?
    10-28-09 10:28 PM
    Yep. At least that is the same problem I am having.

10-28-09 10:30 PM
    is this the connection that is causing the problem?
    Yes, that's the problem, but to find out the reason is hard, you can try to bring up keyboard on homescreen, lock it in number mode, and type "/"/, quote included, basically "LGLG", quote excluded, in letter mode.

this will bring up the event logs, and usually, it tells you why the connection failed.
    10-28-09 10:33 PM
    same here.
    10-28-09 10:34 PM
    It's a Verizon issue. As cat5shotta stated, it works on GSM. I was able to successfully establish a WiFi connection to RIM servers and get white WiFi logo on AT&T. As soon as I switch back to Verizon, logo gray's out and lose connection to RIM's servers.

Last edited by BigVDawgy; 10-28-09 at 10:38 PM.
    10-28-09 10:36 PM
    If I knew how to take a screen shot I would.

If it is a program to do it, i don't have it.

msblueline
    its called capture it
    http://m.thetechmogul.com/ from your phone
    10-28-09 10:37 PM
    It's a Verizon issue. As cat5shotta stated, it works on GSM. I was able to successfully establish a WiFi connection to RIM servers and get white WiFi logo on AT&T. As soon as I switch back to Verizon, logo gray's out and lose connection to RIM's servers.

But some with Verizon say it works for them.

10-28-09 10:45 PM
338 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD