So...I'm still in the same position. Went back to the store (with the intention of changing the phone out) and instead, they went in and registered the Wifi books. (Which I instantly thought was weird.)

They didn't have WiFi at the Verizon store, so I had to go back to work and I'm currently on the phone with Verizon tech support.

Wifi not working yet.
    10-28-09 04:25 PM
    Ok, so I think my wifi is working, because I went to manage connections turned off network and could still browse the web, however under the connection list where there is a green check or a red x for mobile network the wifi always just has a white dash, is that correct? It says the name of the network in green next to wifi but on the far right side where I'm expecting a green check to pop up it just stays with a white dash. Anyone know if that's how it's supposed to be?

Thanks
    10-28-09 04:54 PM
    Tried different networks still no go. Verizon tx me to rim support and they said it was b/c verizon does not support uma. That's as far as I cod get....glad I'm not the only one anymore...
    10-28-09 05:01 PM
    my wifi seems to be working, and i confirmed, bec web browsing worked when i disabled the mobile network... however, the wifi icon is greyed out and i dont have a green checkmark next to the wifi in the connection manager...
    any ideas?
    Did you get an answer to this? I'm having the same problem.
    10-28-09 05:05 PM
    Here we go. 2 hours on the phone with Verizon and this is what I got.

Couple tech guys spent some time with me and after no progress, they called RIM. This is what they got.

1. Verizon customers will not get email with standalone wifi, but rest assured, that you are getting the push when you have the Verizon Network and Wifi both on.
    2. Yes, you can browse the internet with standalone Wifi.(Knew this one already)
    3. They are aware of the issue with the logo not lighting up. Apparently, they've received several phone calls about this issue. They believe it has something to do with the software, and that they are looking to fix this in the next software update. (For those of you who only install officials, it could be awhile. For those of us who use leaks, I can't see it being very long.)
    4. They also mentioned something about a browser update, but I'm not aware as to what that means because it has nothing to do with my problem...but, cool.

Hope that helps those of you out there out. I also asked if it would be worth it in taking it back to the store, and they told me "Probably not. Looks like a wide enough problem that you'll end up with the same thing."
    10-28-09 05:05 PM
    Did you get an answer to this? I'm having the same problem.
    +1

10 ch
    10-28-09 05:06 PM
    I'm still confused though....are you guys getting the green check mark and the illuminated wifi logo, or no?
    I'm not. Let me know if you get an answer to this.
    10-28-09 05:06 PM
    Here we go. 2 hours on the phone with Verizon and this is what I got.

Couple tech guys spent some time with me and after no progress, they called RIM. This is what they got.

1. Verizon customers will not get email with standalone wifi, but rest assured, that you are getting the push when you have the Verizon Network and Wifi both on.
    2. Yes, you can browse the internet with standalone Wifi.(Knew this one already)
    3. They are aware of the issue with the logo not lighting up. Apparently, they've received several phone calls about this issue. They believe it has something to do with the software, and that they are looking to fix this in the next software update. (For those of you who only install officials, it could be awhile. For those of us who use leaks, I can't see it being very long.)
    4. They also mentioned something about a browser update, but I'm not aware as to what that means because it has nothing to do with my problem...but, cool.

Hope that helps those of you out there out. I also asked if it would be worth it in taking it back to the store, and they told me "Probably not. Looks like a wide enough problem that you'll end up with the same thing."
    but this is not true for everyone right? Some people have a storm 2 on verizon with the same software, with fully functioning wifi? right?
    10-28-09 05:08 PM
    but this is not true for everyone right? Some people have a storm 2 on verizon with the same software, with fully functioning wifi? right?
    From what I'm seeing in the forums, yes, some people have a white illuminated wifi logo and a green check mark. Others, like myself do not, if it's a "software" issue and we're all on the same OS shouldn't we all be having this problem?
    10-28-09 05:11 PM
    Semi-sidetrack... Is there a way (app?) to make phone calls over wifi??
    10-28-09 05:16 PM
    From what I'm seeing in the forums, yes, some people have a white illuminated wifi logo and a green check mark. Others, like myself do not, if it's a "software" issue and we're all on the same OS shouldn't we all be having this problem?
    that's what I would assume.....I thought it was my network, but that's clearly not the case. I was thinking about taking the phone back, but I'm going to try and stay with it...hopefully it's a simplye software fix!
    10-28-09 05:18 PM
    well thank you for all your time on the phone lol, uhhh here we ago again with storm problems
    10-28-09 05:18 PM
    This is pathetic... I cant delete the darn Wifi name.. I renamed it on my router and deleted it on the phone but when i do search, it comes up with the old settings over and over again..
    10-28-09 05:32 PM
    So anyone have any other info on this? Some people get the white wifi logo and herb check mark and some don't? Wow I can type fast on this thing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 05:32 PM
    that's what I would assume.....I thought it was my network, but that's clearly not the case. I was thinking about taking the phone back, but I'm going to try and stay with it...hopefully it's a simplye software fix!
    I guess who cares about a green check mark or white logo if it works. See if yours works. Turn off mobile network and browse the web.

10-28-09 05:36 PM
    any app for wifi phone calls?
    10-28-09 05:44 PM
    per the instruction book white wifi logo and wifi name says will be able to send and receive email messages and use the browser over a wi-fi connection.
    gray wifi and wifi name says your smartphone is connected to wi-fi network but does not have access to blackberry servers over wi-fi connection
    10-28-09 06:18 PM
    Right....but it doesn't tell you how to get the solid white symbol. I called at noon todAy when I noticed the issue. Verizon had no idea I was talking about, I refrenced him to pg 35 of the tips and tricks booklet. They transferee me to RIM who claimed that it was a UMA issue he also said the literature is generic (when I told him what the book said) Apparently that's not accurate and no one can get a straight answer.
    10-28-09 06:24 PM
    Yes but that doesn't explain why with a grey logo if you turn off your mobile network you can still browse the internet over wifi. There is definitely something wrong. It just doesn't make sense with us all on the same version people having different results. I have a grey wifi logo in the upper right corner, with no green check mark in my manage connection menu,my mobile network is off, but I just sent this response.

10-28-09 06:30 PM
    Right....but it doesn't tell you how to get the solid white symbol. I called at noon todAy when I noticed the issue. Verizon had no idea I was talking about, I refrenced him to pg 35 of the tips and tricks booklet. They transferee me to RIM who claimed that it was a UMA issue he also said the literature is generic (when I told him what the book said) Apparently that's not accurate and no one can get a straight answer.

Rush. Do you have the grey logo but it works for browsing the internet?

10-28-09 06:31 PM
    Rush. Do you have the grey logo but it works for browsing the internet?

Yup, It shows the network above the time on the home screen and shows the grey wifi symbol under the network indicator
    10-28-09 06:35 PM
    My WiFi works fine.
    10-28-09 06:37 PM
    My WiFi works fine.
    You can send emails over your WiFi?
    10-28-09 06:43 PM
    Mine also is greyed out. I do have another storm 2 still in the box, but I don't want to open it up just to test this feature out. Keep throwing out ideas people as I would like to get it working correctly as well. I have been checking the bold forums but have had no luck with any ideas. It just seems that they feel it is a software thing which works whenever it feels like it for the most part.
    10-28-09 06:59 PM
    Any news?

10-28-09 07:51 PM
338 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD