I too turned off my Verizon Radio and only used WiFi. I waited until my Radio was turned off.

It works just fine.

I will have to enter my code when I get home.

My work is an unsecure network.

Works just fine.

msblueline
    10-28-09 02:44 PM
    do i need to post a video of me turning off the mobile network and sendign/receiving email or BBM on my Bold? I can.

EDIT: uploading to youtube right now. Storm 2 does not focus well on vids. Crappy quality, but you should be able to see the mobile network being turned off, me typing an email into outlook 2007, and the bold receiving it over wifi. Video's still being processed, but it'll be up shortly.

are you on a BES server? If so, chances are you will not get email unless they make a vpn app so you can connect to your companys network. Set the browser to IE and try it.
    10-28-09 02:45 PM
    This is completely not true. I just did this 10 minutes ago and it worked perfect. I am able to recieve email, (my BIS Gmail), and BBM without issue.

I did not connect to the WIFI till after being disconnected. Not sure if that amde a difference, may be something worth trying though.
    The guy that claimed it wouldn't work did not know what he's talking.
    10-28-09 02:48 PM
    Seems to be working well still. BBM, e-mail over BES (yes, I'm sure it's BES), browser... Seems like all normal data services work over a wifi connection. Intererestingly though, connection speed is not what "it should be" over a wifi connection.

edit: I did tests with the mobile network disabled.
    Last edited by pi_admin; 10-28-09 at 02:52 PM.
    10-28-09 02:49 PM
    I'm still confused though....are you guys getting the green check mark and the illuminated wifi logo, or no?
    10-28-09 02:52 PM
    are you on a BES server? If so, chances are you will not get email unless they make a vpn app so you can connect to your companys network. Set the browser to IE and try it.
    Oh My. I must be in Oz. No, its a Storm Forum...There is a box of clues I imagine must be empty because some have none.
    10-28-09 02:53 PM
    I'm still confused though....are you guys getting the green check mark and the illuminated wifi logo, or no?
    Wifi logo is lit, and in the connections screen I do have wifi connected (SSID in blue).
    10-28-09 02:56 PM
    negative. Wifi is greyed out on mine. Here's the log under wifi settings.

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: N/A
    Secure Device IP:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Connecting: Error
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    10-28-09 02:59 PM
    cna u talk on the phone when u have just wifi enabled
    10-28-09 03:04 PM
    cna u talk on the phone when u have just wifi enabled
    No, that is UMA. Verizon does not utilize UMA right now.
    10-28-09 03:05 PM
    negative. Wifi is greyed out on mine. Here's the log under wifi settings.

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: N/A
    Secure Device IP:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Connecting: Error
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    So...is that how it's supposed to be? Maybe there is something else that controls whether or not the wifi logo is lit.
    10-28-09 03:09 PM
    So...is that how it's supposed to be? Maybe there is something else that controls whether or not the wifi logo is lit.
    No idea, i've noticed on some of the Bold forums, they have this issue b/c of the OS. Some OS' on the bold wouldn't ever get a white wifi logo. Updating to a newer one fixed it.
    10-28-09 03:10 PM
    I'm just trying to figure out whether or not to take it back. The problem is that I can't see a clear problem from everyone else. This seems to be a very small issue, but I almost wish more people had the issue so that I knew i wasn't alone.
    10-28-09 03:12 PM
    It is interesting. It takes a bit on mine (maybe 15 seconds) after the phone is associated with the network to make the logo white.
    10-28-09 03:13 PM

For BES, they keep data communication out of public network (or over VPN tunnel on public network).

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ats-difference
    10-28-09 03:14 PM
    Well...I've tried two different networks within the building and I've got nothing different. I also spoke to a Verizon rep, and this person just read everything from the emulator, and that was about it. So, not helpful at all.
    10-28-09 03:17 PM
    The green check mark takes some time - 10 - 15 seconds. If you keep touching it during that time, you toggle the switch back and forth, starting the timer again.

I was able to receive push email, phone alerts and all from three accounts while on Wifi. No SMS or phone calls though, also no YouTube???

I do not use the BB Enterprise server, not sure if that matters - my three accounts are all POP.

The WiFi logo stays lit (white outline) while connected. Internet browsing has been defaulting to WiFi even when EVDO network is on.
    10-28-09 03:19 PM
    I'm just trying to figure out whether or not to take it back. The problem is that I can't see a clear problem from everyone else. This seems to be a very small issue, but I almost wish more people had the issue so that I knew i wasn't alone.
    i have the same issue and i dont know what to do either, if i shut off connections like everyone else is doing, it doesnt work. so i am assuming that it doesnt work and there is a problem with it
    10-28-09 03:20 PM
    Got to Options, Wi-Fi :

I see under the Saved Wi-Fi Profiles my WiFi name, then a green check mark, and a green signal indicator.

I have both boxes checked above this (Enable single... and Promt me for ....)
    10-28-09 03:35 PM
    Got to Options, Wi-Fi :

I see under the Saved Wi-Fi Profiles my WiFi name, then a green check mark, and a green signal indicator.

I have both boxes checked above this (Enable single... and Promt me for ....)
    i just checked the enable single box.... however i dont have the green signal indicator just a dash. but i do have the green check mark.
    10-28-09 03:57 PM
    Push Email and BBM are NOT supposed to work over wifi

Edit:

Think of wifi on your computer/laptop, you have to use your browser to check your email. Same case with wifi on the Storm 2.
    Ok let me get this strait. So I had the Tour and I would automatically get my emails to show up and I could just click on my message folder and read my email. You're saying I can't do that with my Storm 2? I actually have to login to my email through my browser to see my email?

**The problem i'm having is I work on base and It seems like I can't connect to the wifi networks here. It must be blocked here on base.
    10-28-09 04:07 PM
    Ok let me get this strait. So I had the Tour and I would automatically get my emails to show up and I could just click on my message folder and read my email. You're saying I can't do that with my Storm 2? I actually have to login to my email through my browser to see my email?

**The problem i'm having is I work on base and It seems like I can't connect to the wifi networks here. It must be blocked here on base.
    Don't mind that post - it was incorrect. You are able, IN FACT, to access your BIS/BES e-mail, BBM, and other data services over WiFi. My Storm2 had some issues connecting to WiFi, and pulling the battery helped the issue (no networks would show up when scanning). There is, however, talk of a WiFi bug out there ... if that is the case, then it could be a reason why you can't connect as well.
    10-28-09 04:11 PM
    I am having a WIFI problem too. I never get the green check mark and the wifi symbol is grey. I can browse but thats it. Anyone been able to fix this?
    10-28-09 04:17 PM
    Don't mind that post - it was incorrect. You are able, IN FACT, to access your BIS/BES e-mail, BBM, and other data services over WiFi. My Storm2 had some issues connecting to WiFi, and pulling the battery helped the issue (no networks would show up when scanning). There is, however, talk of a WiFi bug out there ... if that is the case, then it could be a reason why you can't connect as well.
    Lol. I was just about to come back and say its working. Once I loged into my BIS account and changed it from my Tour to the S2 and it activated my hotmail and yahoo folders showed up and my emails just started flooding in.
    10-28-09 04:17 PM
    I'm wondering if I can't use wi-fi here on base cause I see 3 different networks but I can't connect to any of them.
    10-28-09 04:22 PM
338 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD