For those with a Storm2, Is your WIFI working? I think Sal said something about some devices with issues. Mine being one of them...
    10-28-09 11:43 AM
    Works for me. I turned off my mobile network to test it for sure, and it works great.
    10-28-09 11:44 AM
    For those with a Storm2, Is your WIFI working? I think Sal said something about some devices with issues. Mine being one of them...
    mine is working i manually added to wep id to the phone .
    10-28-09 12:38 PM
    Same here. Searched for network, entered WEP Id and working fine!
    10-28-09 12:42 PM
    Works...but it only seems to work for web browsing...i don't seem to be getting emails or am able to send BBMs on wifi :X
    10-28-09 12:45 PM
    Went to the local bar for lunch (after picking up the phone) and it associated with their WiFi right away, and seemed to work. Now that I'm back at the office, though - it doesn't seem to want to detect any networks ... hmmm ... will continue to mess with it.
    10-28-09 12:49 PM
    To turn Wi-Fi on:From the Home screen, press the Menu key to access the full list of applications
    Click Manage Connections
    Click Wi-Fi
    Press Escape to exit

To connect to a Wi-Fi network, complete the following steps:
    From the Home screen, press the Menu key to accessthe full list of applications
    Click Setup
    Click Set Up Wi-Fi
    Click Next
    Choose one of the following options:�
    Scan for Networks to scan for a network or hotspot�
    Manually Add Network
    Push Button Setup if you are using a networkaccess point enabled with Wi-Fi Protected Setup�To scan for a network or connect to a hotspot, complete the following steps:

Click Scan For Networks

From the list of available Wi-Fi networks, click the appropriate Wi-Fi network

Specify the required security credentials and click Connect
    Click Next

Click Wi-Fi Hotspot Login to open the captive portal in the browser and specify the security credentials or payment options

Public and semi-public hotspots usually employ a captive portalfor network security and do not require security credentials at thisstep in the process.�

The security credentials or payment options required by captiveportals vary. Contact the network administrator for moreinformation.

from the storm 9550 guide
    10-28-09 12:51 PM
    Works...but it only seems to work for web browsing...i don't seem to be getting emails or am able to send BBMs on wifi :X
    Not sure if it does BBM over WiFi, but emails should work. I haven't had the time to check that out, but web, like you said, is working.
    10-28-09 12:51 PM
    Just curious does the phone auto select between wifi and the wireless network or do you have to force it to use one or the other?
    10-28-09 01:15 PM
    My WiFi connection works, but not for messaging I get an error. So far I'm only able to browse the web on WiFi
    10-28-09 01:23 PM
    Just curious does the phone auto select between wifi and the wireless network or do you have to force it to use one or the other?
    if u have wifi on and are connected it will automatically connect . but u have the option on turning wifi off if u like
    10-28-09 01:30 PM
    After a battery pull, WiFi seems to be back up and working. (Ugh, not this game again )
    10-28-09 01:34 PM
    Push Email and BBM are NOT supposed to work over wifi

Edit:

Think of wifi on your computer/laptop, you have to use your browser to check your email. Same case with wifi on the Storm 2.
    Last edited by stikemup; 10-28-09 at 01:41 PM.
    10-28-09 01:37 PM
    correctomundo!

its for web browsing and downloading.
    10-28-09 01:40 PM
    Push Email and BBM are NOT supposed to work over wifi
    ehhh is this just on the storm/2? On my Bold here it does it all over wifi.
    10-28-09 01:41 PM
    They probably do it differently with AT&T GSM phones.
    10-28-09 01:43 PM
    my wifi seems to be working, and i confirmed, bec web browsing worked when i disabled the mobile network... however, the wifi icon is greyed out and i dont have a green checkmark next to the wifi in the connection manager...
    any ideas?
    Last edited by kingsfan33; 10-28-09 at 01:48 PM. Reason: additional info
    10-28-09 01:46 PM
    btw - this is after i went and click wifi hotspot login (from bookmark) i also changed default browser to hotspot browser...
    10-28-09 01:48 PM
    Um.....no it doesn't.

Your native blackberry email and BBM will not work over WiFi.

Now, if you use the GMail app, then that will probably work. I don't, so I'm not really sure on that one.

I have a Bold right now....S2 on the way WiFi only works for some apps and browsing. Push email and BBM do not work. If yours does work, then it's becasue you haven't turned off your data connection. Turn that off and see if you still can BBM or email through native BB email
    10-28-09 01:50 PM
    No problems here with mine. I have to go into web to get my e-mails though- but I thought that was how it was supposed to work.
    10-28-09 01:53 PM
    Um.....no it doesn't.

Now, if you use the GMail app, then that will probably work. I don't, so I'm not really sure on that one.

I have a Bold right now....S2 on the way WiFi only works for some apps and browsing. Push email and BBM do not work. If yours does work, then it's becasue you haven't turned off your data connection. Turn that off and see if you still can BBM or email through native BB email
    do i need to post a video of me turning off the mobile network and sendign/receiving email or BBM on my Bold? I can.

EDIT: uploading to youtube right now. Storm 2 does not focus well on vids. Crappy quality, but you should be able to see the mobile network being turned off, me typing an email into outlook 2007, and the bold receiving it over wifi. Video's still being processed, but it'll be up shortly.

Last edited by bimmerd00d; 10-28-09 at 02:16 PM.
    10-28-09 02:08 PM
    This is completely not true. I just did this 10 minutes ago and it worked perfect. I am able to recieve email, (my BIS Gmail), and BBM without issue.

I did not connect to the WIFI till after being disconnected. Not sure if that amde a difference, may be something worth trying though.
    10-28-09 02:18 PM
    Um.....no it doesn't.

Wrong. uhhh.. Wrong. It may be best to understand before you profess. Previous posts make me wonder if Verizon is forcing WiFi limited access. wouldn't it be a hoot if Wifi has been tuned for media and requires Verizon network connectivity.
    Last edited by SVF; 10-28-09 at 02:45 PM.
    10-28-09 02:40 PM
    Wrong. uhhh.. Wrong. It may be best to understand before you profess.
    i even posted a video
    10-28-09 02:40 PM
    my wifi seems to be working, and i confirmed, bec web browsing worked when i disabled the mobile network... however, the wifi icon is greyed out and i dont have a green checkmark next to the wifi in the connection manager...
    any ideas?
    I'm having the same problem. I'm pretty sure WiFi works, but I'm getting no green check mark and the wifi logo is greyed out.
    10-28-09 02:42 PM
338 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD