Hi there

I'm on T-mobile. I just got my BB Flip with no data plan.

I tried connecting over wifi following the directions here:
    f3/complete-wifi-how-47229/

I see that I am connected to Wi-fi in addition to "uma" (lower case) located in the upper right corner.

Unfortunately, when using the default browser, it keeps on prompting me that a "Subscription Required", that I must purchase a web2go plan.

Does this mean that I must use a third-party browser to perform my web surfing?

Also, from reading, I've been informed that "uma" has the potential to make calls without using minutes over my wifi connection. Is this true or do you need to purchase some additional service?

Thank you all for your help!
    03-09-09 05:37 PM
    launch the browser, hit the berry button (one with all the dots), options, general properties, and change default browser to hotspot browser. save changes, close out the browser, relaunch it and it should work.
    while connected to uma, your calls will go over the internet using your wireless router, but unless you pay $10/month for the hotspot@home deal, your current phone plan still applies to all minutes used on uma. if you do pay the $10/month, calls over wifi (uma) are free.
    03-09-09 05:43 PM
    launch the browser, hit the berry button (one with all the dots), options, general properties, and change default browser to hotspot browser. save changes, close out the browser, relaunch it and it should work.
    while connected to uma, your calls will go over the internet using your wireless router, but unless you pay $10/month for the hotspot@home deal, your current phone plan still applies to all minutes used on uma. if you do pay the $10/month, calls over wifi (uma) are free.
    hi i appreciate your swift reply!

before i made this thread, i did exactly what u just posted but with no success.

now, after doing it again, it works! i guess i did not confirm my changes earlier. thank you again. you're the best
    03-09-09 05:50 PM
    I have an old plan with 1000 min and free night and weekends and don't plan to get a data plan.

While I have the browser working would like use primosync or goosync
    03-09-09 09:20 PM
    thank you all. is there a list of must-have apps for blackberries? i've been looking at the stickies but haven't found such a list.
    03-09-09 11:25 PM
    I noticed that if I use Opera Mini via WiFi on my BB Pearl Flip without a data plan, I don't think I'm using airtime. It might count against my minutes but I really don't think I noticed any difference in the usage on my T-Moble account page.
    03-10-09 01:19 PM
    bozeefus: try searching. here is one.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f85/loo...8220-a-156804/

dooflicky: what are you talking about? did you post in the wrong thread?
    03-10-09 05:23 PM
    No reebok, I was actually responding to what you wrote about having to buy the $10/month Hotspot @ home device in order to get free Internet. I think when you connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi from your BB Flip using a 3rd party broswer such as Opera Mini, that it doesn't count against your minutes. After all, you aren't using T-Mobile's connection.

But I could be wrong. I just didn't see anything change on my Tmo account page after I spent about a half hour trying out the Internet on my phone.
    03-10-09 07:02 PM
    hotspot@home has nothing to do with data usage like you're talking about. data usage doesn't use minutes. it's using your wireless router to make phone calls over the internet, indicated by the UMA symbol in the top right (as opposed to gsm, edge, etc). with hotspot@home you can make free calls (that don't count against your minutes). without the service, your calls still go over the internet but they apply to your minute plan.

Unsupported Browser
    03-11-09 07:58 AM
    Oh okay.. now I see. Thanks.
    03-11-09 01:38 PM
    bozeefus: try searching. here is one.

dooflicky: what are you talking about? did you post in the wrong thread?
    thank you again! bookmarked and will be downloading them as soon as spring break comes...
    03-11-09 05:03 PM
    I'm having the same problem as the original post. Here's what I've done, maybe someone can help me out.

1. Set up my wifi connection. I am connected my screen says uma, and the network I'm connected to.
    2. Gone to my browser hit my berry (options) button>selected options>General Properties> and changed my Default Browser to Hotspot Browser.
    3. Gone to my settings>options>advanced options>browser and changed my default browser configuration to Hotspot Browser.
    4. Tried going to settings>advanced options>TCP and both leaving and deleting all stored information.

Each time I go to browse a page it says "Subscription Upsell Required". Any other thoughts?
    02-15-10 11:06 PM
    If you've set the Default Browser to use the HotSpot Browser, you should be all set. Make sure you're clicking the regular Browser icon to start the web browser, not the T-Mobile icon which is very similar but brings up the WAP browser that uses the cell network for data.

The browser type is also stored in bookmark entries. Edit any bookmarks you have created to make sure they have the browser set to Hotspot Browser.
    02-16-10 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD