Hi, I know this topic has been discussed for a long while now, but I just have a few questions after browsing these forums for a long while. I don't have a data plan and currently have a blackberry 9700 bold with T-mobile service.
    1. Is it guaranteed that I'm safe if I go into Manage Connections and disable Mobile Network and also Data Services While Roaming then use Wi-Fi without being charged any fees?
    2. While disabling Mobile Network, I was able to access Blackberry App World and download AIM. Will I be charged for any of this?
    3. Would I be able to use AIM? I've heard that some apps require data even with Wi-Fi but I am unsure since I disabled the Mobile Network option!
    Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
    Last edited by Umaro; 07-31-12 at 10:20 PM.
    07-31-12 10:17 PM
    The only way I know to do this is to put a data block on your account (via your carrier), then ENABLE data, data while roaming, and wifi. If you don't enable data on the phone then you won't be able to use wifi.

I am assuming you have a voice plan.

I am doing this with my Bold 9900 with AT&T. TMO should work the same.

I replaced a flip phone with an almost new Bold 9000 and have been using it for calling and texting, and ALMOST everything else works as you would expect without a data plan as long as I am on wifi (which is most of my day). Of course, BBM doesn't work; nor does MMS, and some apps don't work, though I don't klnow why. In particular, Google Talk doesn't work, so I am assuming AIM won't either, though I don't use it. If the data block is in place BEFORE you insert your SIM or turn on the phone for the first time, your carrier will have no idea. However, it syncs with Gmail contact and calendar, I can get apps from AppWorld, and everything pretty much does what it should.

And before the naysayers come out, I carry two phones (the other is a very new Android at the moment). I use the blackberry because it is so much easier to text and the talk/sound quality is far superior; I do miss BBM but none of my collegues use it anymore . Without data on, it gets ridiculous battery life (dayS of heavy use, and extra if I disable 3/4G, which I don't need under the circumstances). It is much better than the old flip phone for the texting ability and sound quality and, as everyone knows, the build quality is apex.

Yeah, I will probably get a BB10 device when they come out and feel like a goon for having two BB devices, but I got it cheap ($60!!!... insurance replacement for someone who got an upgrade phone the next day. SNEAKY!).

Best,

Charlie_V
    08-21-12 03:07 PM
    Like Charlie_V said, the only way to avoid data charges from your carrier is to have them put a data block on your line. There are three types of data access your BlackBerry can do:

1. BIS/BES - BlackBerry data, including push email, transmitted via WAP or Wi-Fi
    2. WAP - data over carrier network
    3. Wi-Fi - data over Wi-Fi access points

Even if you don't have a BlackBerry data plan, you might still incur data charges as a result of apps using pay-per-use WAP data. Putting a data block on your line prevents this.

Most of the BlackBerry native apps (i.e. came with the phone) require a BIS account to function, even over Wi-Fi. However, there are a great many 3rd party apps including chat clients that can work over Wi-Fi alone. Just search this forum for the many "Wi-Fi only" threads.
    08-29-12 09:59 AM
    I have a sprint 9930 that I have not activated yet, and I have been using google voice to txt. My job and home have wifi so I have been able to get on the internet as well. I actually went into the 'manage connections' option and turned off the data and only have on the wifi.
    09-02-12 07:47 AM
    Just adding to my earlier post. I have been using the BB 9900 without a data plan for months now, and it is a real nice experience. Even with wifi on (which gives me app world, browser, etc.), it goes for days on a charge. In fact, I got so enamored with my BB and so disgusted with my Android for on screen typing that I briefly switched my main phone (Android) and Blackberry, giving the latter the data plan. I even bought similar apps for saving my calls to calendar and etc. that make my Android useful. It was a great experience until the end of the first day when my Blackberry battery was on its last leg. I was used to several days on a charge. "Data on" is another story. So I switched them back--I pay for the privilege of putting the AT&T CS reps to alot of trouble--and am happily awaiting BB10. No use in buying more batteries for my 9900 now. When BB 10 arrives, I will have the one with the physical keypad and some extra batteries, and will no longer carry two phones.

Many apps seek BBM integration. I just unloaded BBM. That stopped the nagging over BBM. I did reload it when I had the data plan on, but then unloaded it again later.

I also found that you can do without BIS/BES with a third party browser... as long as you don't care about BBM. Some apps like that setup and some don't. I don't see the point of it (at least, for me, since the unlimited BB plan is the same cost of the non-BB plan at AT&T), but it was an interesting experiment.
    11-13-12 10:06 AM
    Hi I am using BB first time.
    I got black berry curve 9200
    I just want to know does it just work on BB data packs or can work on WiFi also.
    I open my WiFi and tried to make my ID but couldn't make it.
    2. i am assuming we need to take BB browsing pack once to make ID but my question here is that can we work on WiFi free after making the ID as another phones does.

Regards
    02-02-13 02:04 AM
    Hi I am using BB first time.
    I got black berry curve 9200
    I just want to know does it just work on BB data packs or can work on WiFi also.
    I open my WiFi and tried to make my ID but couldn't make it.
    2. i am assuming we need to take BB browsing pack once to make ID but my question here is that can we work on WiFi free after making the ID as another phones does.

Regards
    You dont need a BB plan to run on wifi

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 07:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD