So what is the purpose of wifi on a device if you use wireless? I guess I don't really understand the distinction between the two on the device. Is wireless directed more at the server it is configured on (e.g. BES), whereas wifi just picks up whatever wireless signal it can while it "roams" the area? Just want to understand the difference. Thank you.
    03-19-10 05:42 PM
    Both handle data, not the voice calls which are always on the cellular network. "Wireless" uses the cellular signal to send data back through your phone company. "WiFi" uses a wifi signal from your ADSL or cable router at home, office, hotspot etc to bypass the cell service.

WiFi is generally faster than the cellular service, but you need to connect to a different available WiFi access point at each location. Cellular is switch on and forget until you lose signal. That's when having WiFi becomes really important - when you have no cell signal for whatever reason. (It could be a tower outage, bad location, in the basement... or even as happened to me, no cellular data service in a small developing country but I had access to internet and wifi)

Apart from that, both should have exactly the same functionality for BB data. The only difference is the route the data takes between the server and your phone.
    03-20-10 07:47 PM
    thanks for the info! : )
    03-22-10 10:12 AM