Hi Friends

I have connected my BB to my home wifi. Now it has the name of my home network at the top of the screen. My questions are these:

1. When I am browsing, how do I know that I am using the wifi instead of the phone company's network (I only have 500mbs that way)

2. I looked in my instruction manual and there seem to be three different levels of Wi-Fi connection. I don't understand them

(wi-fi logo <light>) + Wi-Fi
    network name

= You can send and receive email messages and use the browser over a Wi-Fi connection
    I think I get this one. Does this mean that somewhere on my screen I will see the Wi-Fi logo AND the text "Wi-Fi"?

(wi-fi logo <dark>) + Wi-Fi
    network name

= Your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network but does not have access to BlackBerry services over the Wi-Fi connection
    How is this possible? Do the email and applications require connection require connection to a special "BlackBerry Network"? Does this mean I am connected to Wi-Fi but can't use it?

(wi-fi logo <dark>)

= Your connection to a wi-fi network is turned on but you are not in a wi-fi coverage area
    Can I use the browser just on Wi-Fi? What is a "Wi-Fi Coverage Area" Isn't my house one because I broadcast my own signal?

I don't understand this stuff! I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some clarity around this.

Thanks!

Jack
    07-31-10 09:58 AM
    When you see your home network name on your screen, you have a working Wifi connection.

The Wifi logo should be Black on White. That means you also have a working connection to BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

If the Wifi logo is Gray, that means there is a problem with the BIS connection over Wifi. Use the Built in Wifi Diagnostics to identify the error causing the problem.

When I am browsing, how do I know that I am using the wifi instead of the phone company's network ...
    There is a provision for using Wifi with your Browser to bypass the carriers network. Use: Options / Advanced Options / Browser to set your default Browser to Hotspot.

Do the email and applications require connection require connection to a special "BlackBerry Network"? ...
    What is a "Wi-Fi Coverage Area" Isn't my house one because I broadcast my own signal?
    Yes to both.

07-31-10 10:29 AM
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. That simplifies it a bit for me.
    07-31-10 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD