just got my 8900 today. i've set up wifi and am currently connected. after i did this the UMA icon on the top right of the screen is displayed (as well as the wifi icon). is this normal? i'm not signed up for talk spot.

any help would be appreciated.
    11-12-09 08:31 PM
    Yes that's normal. Now say your in your house and you don't get that good of a signal from the local tower, now you'll be able to make your calls over the wifi UMA Connection.

I use it all the time on my BB Pearl.

What's even better about this, is if your outside of your home calling area, and your able to connect to a wifi network and have the UMA connect, you'll be able to make calls back home to your local calling area without worrying about LD charges. Trust me this works, search the threads and you'll see we've tested it out and it works like a charm.

You don't need TalkSpot unless you need a plan like that. For unlimited Local or Canada Wide calls. Otherwise, you'll be still using your regular plan minutes.

just got my 8900 today. i've set up wifi and am currently connected. after i did this the UMA icon on the top right of the screen is displayed (as well as the wifi icon). is this normal? i'm not signed up for talk spot.

any help would be appreciated.
    11-12-09 09:18 PM
    ok cool, thanks for that. i'll search a bit and read up on it. such a bb newb, so much to learn

Yes that's normal. Now say your in your house and you don't get that good of a signal from the local tower, now you'll be able to make your calls over the wifi UMA Connection.

I use it all the time on my BB Pearl.

What's even better about this, is if your outside of your home calling area, and your able to connect to a wifi network and have the UMA connect, you'll be able to make calls back home to your local calling area without worrying about LD charges. Trust me this works, search the threads and you'll see we've tested it out and it works like a charm.

You don't need TalkSpot unless you need a plan like that. For unlimited Local or Canada Wide calls. Otherwise, you'll be still using your regular plan minutes.
    11-12-09 09:33 PM
    how to setting belkin wifi for uma calling blackberry onyx/9700
    12-12-09 10:55 AM
    how to setting belkin wifi for uma calling blackberry onyx/9700
    The 9700 on rogers has no UMA suport.
    12-12-09 01:02 PM
    Just remember that unless you subscribe to TalkSpot, you are still using your minutes while making calls over UMA. It simply just gives you reception if you have little or none - which would have been freakin useful in my last house, haha.
    02-10-10 04:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD