I have a T-Mo 9700 running 5.0.0.442 (old I know but its been solid for me). I depend on UMA at home and a few places I work.

This problem began a few days ago and has been driving me insane. Data usage has been intermittantly not working when on wifi/UMA. Calls and texts still work fine when on UMA

I have figured out when it will and will not work but have no idea why it is doing it. When wifi/UMA is on, and I go to the browser in the top right corner there is usually (from what I recall, I never really paid attention before) the wifi logo. I have now noticed that it started (seemingly) randomly changing from the wifi logo to UMA with the signal strength bars next to it. When the wifi logo is there the data functions throughout my 9700 do not work or are extremely slow (for all apps). Then it will change to the UMA with the signal strength bars and the data throughout the phone works perfectly fine.

I can leave the browser open and watch the logo change between the two completly on its own without doing anything. Switching between hotspot browser and internet browser doesn't change anything.

I used my brother's 9700 and he does not have this issues. I also have used various wifi hotspots and the data problem happens at all of them.

I have not knowlingly changed any settings on my 9700 before this. Why is this happening?
    01-07-11 02:28 PM
    I may be having the same problem as you. Im sitting at home and my phone says Im connected to my network, but shows 3G, not UMA. It may be a Tmobile thing. I reloaded my OS yesterday and its still doing it. Also I have been getting popups for security certificates.
    01-07-11 02:47 PM
    doesn't seem the same. When I turn wifi off and I'm only on 3G or EDGE my 9700 works perfectly fine. When I turn on wifi, it shows up UMA no problems, but cant get data except when it says UMA inside the browser.

I also do not get any popups for security certificates.
    01-07-11 03:31 PM
    having the same problems here
    01-19-11 07:57 AM
    also, its happening with a replacement phone. both running .714
    Last edited by anthonyc; 01-19-11 at 08:06 AM.
    01-19-11 08:04 AM
    anyone else having this issue?
    01-21-11 11:55 AM
    I am also having the same problem 8900 with 5.0.0.900 (newest t-mobile). It has been ongoing for around a month. I have tried several different software versions as well. Quite annoying as I have next to no service at home.
    02-07-11 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD