From what I understand reading other threads, T-Mobile customers can use my home WiFi network with the 9700 to make and receive calls . The calls automatically connect through WiFi when the phone is connected to a wifi network. Users can make and receive calls using WiFi anywhere in the world and the calls counts as regular minutes or nothing extra with the T-Mobile@Home service for $9.99/mo.

Is there anyway to make calls via this system with at&t? Either with some sort or Skype or some other VoIP service?
    11-22-09 01:19 PM
    No, I don't think so. AT&T doesn't support UMA. So far, only T-Mobile does.
    11-22-09 01:36 PM
    Yes, I believe you just get 3G and Edge with AT&T. I love having UMA--it's one of the reasons why I stay with T-Mobile. Even though they don't have as big a coverage as AT&T in general, it hasn't been a problem for me. I have my connection set to Wifi preferred, for home and work; when I'm out of wifi range, the 9700 switches seamlessly to 3G. So far, it feels almost as fast as Wifi.
    11-22-09 02:43 PM
    I understand UMA isn't an option directly through at&t. I am sticking with them for a host of other reasons.

Anyway, does anyone know of a 3rd party program that allows UMA/VoIP style calling. Something similar to the Skype application for the iPhone.
    11-23-09 03:36 PM
    I believe that AT&T recently announced they will begin letting customers make WiFi calls with services like Skype.

AT&T to Allow VoIP Calls Over 3G Network; Skype Fans Rejoice
    11-23-09 03:39 PM
    I understand UMA isn't an option directly through at&t. I am sticking with them for a host of other reasons.

Anyway, does anyone know of a 3rd party program that allows UMA/VoIP style calling. Something similar to the Skype application for the iPhone.

google voice... or Truphone (but you have to pay)
    11-23-09 03:42 PM
    It's not possible with other service providers - even if the phone supports it. The reason is that the mobile company (I use T-Mobile for this) has to provide the infrastructure (i.e. servers and switches) to be able to identify when your device has an IP connection and to route the GSM signal to it, and to route that same signal to the EDGE or GPRS connection when necessary. The phone should tell the carrier when to switch.
    11-23-09 03:44 PM
    I believe that AT&T recently announced they will begin letting customers make WiFi calls with services like Skype.

Making VOIP calls over a WiFi connection, like Skype does, isn't the same as making a UMA call.

When a phone has a UMA connection it works with your carrier just as if it had a regular EDGE or 3G connection. Your phone rings, you receive sms/mms, and data works - all through the carrier. The UMA connection is just another way for the phone to work with the carrier rather than for a third party application to work on the phone's data connection.

It is possible to forward your phone to a Skype number and pay for a Skype-in phone number. It's also possible to call out using money in your Skype account - all over a WiFi connection. You can do this on a laptop, ipod touch, etc.
    Last edited by sc137; 11-23-09 at 06:42 PM.
    11-23-09 03:47 PM
    google voice... or Truphone (but you have to pay)
    I don't really mind paying and I have GV now. However GV is really like an advanced calling card. It calls a a US number and then routes the call over their system to the int'l number I want to call, so it does the same thing at Skype to Go.

I am looking for something that allows me to make calls over WiFi, for when I am in spots that don't have coverage, such as when I am visiting my parents. Making the call over the data network could be helpful when I travel out of the country and don't want to pay crazy voice roaming fees when I get the $65 unlimited international data package.

To be honest I am less concerned about having to pay extra or have the minutes count off my package. I just want it to work.
    11-23-09 03:47 PM

I actually think this is more or less bad news, now a bunch of iPhone users will place their calls over Skype further straining the at&t network. It doesn't help iPhone users roaming in other countries much because there isn't an unlimited int'l data plan for the iPhone.
    11-23-09 03:52 PM
    I don't really mind paying and I have GV now. However GV is really like an advanced calling card. It calls a a US number and then routes the call over their system to the int'l number I want to call, so it does the same thing at Skype to Go.

I am looking for something that allows me to make calls over WiFi, for when I am in spots that don't have coverage, such as when I am visiting my parents. Making the call over the data network could be helpful when I travel out of the country and don't want to pay crazy voice roaming fees when I get the $65 unlimited international data package.

To be honest I am less concerned about having to pay extra or have the minutes count off my package. I just want it to work.
    There is no 3rd party UMA support. It comes from a carrier.
    Your answer is simple.

ATT = NO UMA
    TMO = YES UMA
    11-23-09 03:55 PM
    I am using the wrong verbiage, does anyone know of any wifi calling options for the at&t 9700 on at&t? What about making VoIP calls using the carrier network?
    11-23-09 04:25 PM
    I am using the wrong verbiage, does anyone know of any wifi calling options for the at&t 9700 on at&t? What about making VoIP calls using the carrier network?
    Skype is your best bet. AT&T just recently allowed the iPhone to use VoIP. AT&T has sooo many network restrictions it sounds like you will have to switch to another device. AT&T bowing down to the iPhone..... once again
    11-23-09 04:47 PM
    Skype is your best bet. AT&T just recently allowed the iPhone to use VoIP. AT&T has sooo many network restrictions it sounds like you will have to switch to another device. AT&T bowing down to the iPhone..... once again
    Alright thanks, that is what I expected sorta of. So as of now, there is no way to place a call over Wi-Fi using an at&t 9700?
    11-23-09 05:03 PM
    Alright thanks, that is what I expected sorta of. So as of now, there is no way to place a call over Wi-Fi using an at&t 9700?
    yes there is: im+skype with VOIP Beta
    I don't think is carrier specific.
    11-24-09 05:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD