Ok so it looks like our American cousins are well on the way to having their wifi enabled but what about us Brits?

I have the dreaded grey wifi icon and white dash instead of the green tick.
    Unfortunately I can't even browse over the wifi connection, even though if I do a DNS lookup from the wifi diagnostics menu it resolves the IP fine!

Does anyone using the Storm 2 on Vodafone have a working wifi connection?
    If so did you get the handset on a brand new contract or use it on an existing one?
    I ask this because I have an existing contract which I took out for my Storm 1 and bought the Storm 2 the day after launch. I am wondering if the old data plan doesn't include the wifi service but the new one does.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am hitting a brick wall with Vodafone support who keep reiterating that they "don't support wifi" even tho it's not strictly wifi support I need but Blackberry data support!
    10-30-09 01:26 PM
    Come on uk Vodafone users, I need your help please.
    I've just spent yet another hour with tech support who tried to help me this time but failed miserably.
    Is wifi working on your storm 2?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 10:24 AM
    white dash simply means you have NOT connected to your router, you shouldn't even try to call tech support if it is something wrong with your router.
    Run the wifi diagnostic tools to find out why, or log into your router make sure the phone is not blocked by "MAC filter" or any kinda of firewall.
    10-31-09 10:30 AM
    I am a uk Vf user with no WiFi
    Shame really cos it would be good with it.
    I don't think there is a definitive answer yet as to how it should be set up and until them I'm not going to waste time

10-31-09 11:05 AM
    So I suppose that makes me a leech but there are people with more time than me to sort it out.

10-31-09 11:06 AM
    Aapierre mine is now working. I called RIM directly, paid my $50 and after performing a few checks he suggested I disable security on my router (Netgear DG834T).
    I deleted and reinstated my profile on the storm and bang! White wifi icon and blistering performance on the web. BBM5 works as do browsing and emails, all with the mobile network disconnected.
    I'm a happy bunny now

10-31-09 11:54 AM
    Aapierre mine is now working. I called RIM directly, paid my $50 and after performing a few checks he suggested I disable security on my router (Netgear DG834T).
    I deleted and reinstated my profile on the storm and bang! White wifi icon and blistering performance on the web. BBM5 works as do browsing and emails, all with the mobile network disconnected.
    I'm a happy bunny now

Woah you paid $50 just to get that information when if you had done some trial and error, you could have figured it out yourself and save yourself $50...

Oh well at least you got it fixed in the end...
    10-31-09 12:02 PM
    I know. I did try this on Wednesday and it didn't seem to work then lo and behold today it did. I expect Vodafone did the same fix as verizon in the meantime.

Worth the $50 to get it working
    Last edited by SeanTheMac; 10-31-09 at 01:25 PM.
    10-31-09 01:01 PM
    I can report some success

this is type of thing we normally with firewalls, we turn them off to get a program working and then turn them back on and he presto it works and is accepted by the firewall.

I have what is called a Wireless Station Access List which only allows those MAC addresses i apporve to work.

i toggled it to allow my wifi and hey presto I'm green [white really] for go.

i even turned the radio network off to ensure i was purely on wifi and it still worked.

now i've got it all working properly - shame is i didnt have this problem with my wife's curve which clicked straight in no problems.

never mind - better late than never

thanks to all who helped and maybe my experience can help
    11-03-09 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD