It's kind of like having AC in your car. You don't have to have it. You could use the 2 & 50 method (2 windows down roll'n 50 mph) and get by, but it sure is nice to have ain't it?

Same for WiFi. My old SCH-I760 had WiFi, and where I live, it was used most of the time. Work emails might filter through the radio signal every 2-3 hours (which is what I deal with on my Tour now), but being connected to my home WiFi, they would receive on my phone almost instantly.
    09-20-09 01:07 PM
    It's kind of like having AC in your car. You don't have to have it. You could use the 2 & 50 method (2 windows down roll'n 50 mph) and get by, but it sure is nice to have ain't it?

Same for WiFi. My old SCH-I760 had WiFi, and where I live, it was used most of the time. Work emails might filter through the radio signal every 2-3 hours (which is what I deal with on my Tour now), but being connected to my home WiFi, they would receive on my phone almost instantly.
    So this is about how fast an email arrives to your phone. On my current BB8830, I use Gmail. It's pretty good...I don't notice much slowness, although sending an email or refreshing the inbox can be slow. That must be what you mean...if the phone has wifi, everything is sending and receiving faster...

It is not the same as tethering...that is a different feature.
    09-20-09 02:08 PM
    My emails come to my tour very quickly except with the gmail app. When I only used the gmail app for my account sometimes I wouldn't get emails all day if I forgot to manually open the app. Now I use the gmail app just to clean my inbox and I have my gmail emails pushed to my device through the bb email. Unless you don't have good coverage in your area I doubt that wifi will increase email speeds. Most speed increase is noticed when browsing.
    09-20-09 02:18 PM
    Just to have it. Just one more goodie.
    09-20-09 03:03 PM
    So this is about how fast an email arrives to your phone. On my current BB8830, I use Gmail. It's pretty good...I don't notice much slowness, although sending an email or refreshing the inbox can be slow. That must be what you mean...if the phone has wifi, everything is sending and receiving faster...

It is not the same as tethering...that is a different feature.
    No, what I mean is; I live way out in the country. Some would call it BFE! Basically, there is very little to no cell service here. WiFi made it easy to download all my work emails without having to worry about my phone picking up a cell signal every 2-3 hours.

I used to laugh when Verizon had those "Do you hear me now?" adds. I wish I could have gotten that punk out here to my house!
    09-20-09 04:40 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD