For all TMo users with a Bold 9780:

Reference WiFi dropped calls and general WiFi functionality concerns:

TMo, in association with RIM, informed me today that there is, indeed, a WiFi issue with dropped calls and WiFi functionality in general.

RIM and TMo are, allegedly, working on this issue to be able to provide a TMo specific BB software update to correct this issue with no avaiable ETA as of yet.

I am encouraging all TMo 9780 users experiencing such issues to call TMo and let them know that you too are having this issue, if you indeed do.

They shared with me that they have quite a few complaints regarding this issue. RIM has a software update that they can not push, as TMo has not cleared it for their software load as of yet. (just the messenger here).

So, hopefully this clears up some issues for some.

For ME, I guess I have to decide if I am willing to sit and wait for the update, or exercise an exchange for an alternate device within my grace period which is rapidly approaching
    (12-20). I do use WiFi calling extensively as coverage in my home can be spotty at times.

Just FYI.
    12-13-10 04:19 PM
    9700 TMO users are confirming that UMA dropped/garbled calls have been fixed in their latest OS6 leak.

Forget about waiting for TMO to release anything official anytime soon... just wait for the next .4xx+ OS leak, or exchange now.
    12-13-10 04:29 PM
    Yeah I HATE this issue bc I use wifi at work so if I get any important calls I have to tell them I'll call them back, switch to mobile and then take care of it... Such a pain.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 04:40 PM
    Status update? I rely on UMA at home and want to get this phone next....

12-20-10 02:18 AM
    Status update? I rely on UMA at home and want to get this phone next....

Unfortuneately not.

After a conference call with RIM support (which was commendabe on RIM's part IMHO) and TMo support, it became clear, again, that RIM has released the OS update to Tmo for TMo to *clear* it for their phones.

TMo is unable/unwilling to commit/clueless as to when they will release it to Tmo users officially --- if ever.

As I was close to the end of the TMo buyer's remorse period, I felt that the best solution, for the moment, was to return the phone (9780) to T-Mo and wait out the release.

In a way, I guess, I didn't want to reward TMo for selling a phone that has a CLEAR flaw on one of the BANNER features that has always set RIM apart from the *other guys*, has a solution, and can not, or will not, even allow a customer to beta test in an attempt to make the phone usable on WiFi.

For a while, I was just turning WiFi off --- when I thought about it/remembered to. Often, I would forget to turn it off, get on a conference call for business with 7 participants after returning home, only to blow the conference call away due to the WiFi drop after about 60-90secs. Turning WiFi off, and trying to resurrect the conference call, a PIA at the least, was not practical, as my signal at home can be questionable on occasion.

My Curve 8900, which was bullet proof on WiFi, worked great and never let me down. I must say, however, I was experiencing a much milder form of the WiFi problem once my Curve 8900 received the updated OS (5.0 I believe). It wouldn't drop calls, but the WiFi call quality seemed to diminish a bit, but it was, at least, tolerable, but not fatal.

I guess I am in a "wait and see" mode here. What a shame.

PS: I hold RIM relatively harmless here, as they apparently have a fix. The carrier, on the other hand, seems to be dragging their feet, and KNOWINGLY selling a phone with a KNOWN defect in their rendering of the software load. I dunno, that seems like it is should almost have some legal ramifications IMO --- but, what do I know?.
    Last edited by grumpyaeroguy; 12-20-10 at 08:43 AM.
    12-20-10 08:41 AM
    Unfortuneately not.

After a conference call with RIM support (which was commendabe on RIM's part IMHO) and TMo support, it became clear, again, that RIM has released the OS update to Tmo for TMo to *clear* it for their phones.

TMo is unable/unwilling to commit/clueless as to when they will release it to Tmo users officially --- if ever.

As I was close to the end of the TMo buyer's remorse period, I felt that the best solution, for the moment, was to return the phone (9780) to T-Mo and wait out the release.

In a way, I guess, I didn't want to reward TMo for selling a phone that has a CLEAR flaw on one of the BANNER features that has always set RIM apart from the *other guys*, has a solution, and can not, or will not, even allow a customer to beta test in an attempt to make the phone usable on WiFi.

For a while, I was just turning WiFi off --- when I thought about it/remembered to. Often, I would forget to turn it off, get on a conference call for business with 7 participants after returning home, only to blow the conference call away due to the WiFi drop after about 60-90secs. Turning WiFi off, and trying to resurrect the conference call, a PIA at the least, was not practical, as my signal at home can be questionable on occasion.

My Curve 8900, which was bullet proof on WiFi, worked great and never let me down. I must say, however, I was experiencing a much milder form of the WiFi problem once my Curve 8900 received the updated OS (5.0 I believe). It wouldn't drop calls, but the WiFi call quality seemed to diminish a bit, but it was, at least, tolerable, but not fatal.

I guess I am in a "wait and see" mode here. What a shame.

PS: I hold RIM relatively harmless here, as they apparently have a fix. The carrier, on the other hand, seems to be dragging their feet, and KNOWINGLY selling a phone with a KNOWN defect in their rendering of the software load. I dunno, that seems like it is should almost have some legal ramifications IMO --- but, what do I know?.
    I believe it. T-Mobile is notorious for delaying BB Update releases. Since its going to be awhile for me to get thls device (as I'm tentatively testing out a 9300 since my fiancee has WiFi issues with hers, ironically) I'll check back every so often if this issue is resolved. However, I wonder if some of the OS leaks remedied this issue.....

12-20-10 12:52 PM
    Be thankful for carrier testing. Last time an update was rushed, 5.0.0.822 for the 8900 and 8520 on T-Mobile, it caused alerts to go mute for tens of thousands of customers. T-Mobile is going to test it more thoroughly than before to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.

UMA is a feature, not a core function of the phone as sold. Ringing is a core function. This also is not affecting a great number of people, so the priority is going to be higher on ensuring the core functions of the phone are not affected by an update, rather than whether or not the update fixes a problem that is only affecting a small number of people. UMA/WiFi is working fine for most 9780 users on the current software. "Known Issue" does not necessarily mean it is an issue affecting all users of the same device. It could simply be a small batch of Berries that got a WiFi radio from a different supplier than the majority, as an example.
    12-21-10 12:08 AM
    @berkdavis I agree with you when you say it may be a batch that got a wifi radio from a different supplier. I had this issue on my other 9780 and due to some other issues I ended up exchanging it for a new berry. Wifi works fine on my new 9780.

@grumpaeroguy crazy as it is I ALWAYS had problems with wifi on my 8900. This is the first time I've had wifi work.

12-21-10 04:53 PM
    @berkdavis I agree with you when you say it may be a batch that got a wifi radio from a different supplier. I had this issue on my other 9780 and due to some other issues I ended up exchanging it for a new berry. Wifi works fine on my new 9780.

@grumpaeroguy crazy as it is I ALWAYS had problems with wifi on my 8900. This is the first time I've had wifi work.

Speaking of "batches"..... Is there still a debate on the reliability on the devices on which factory they were built (Canada, Mexico, etc...) like there was on the 9700?
    12-21-10 09:23 PM
    Well, I don't know where you got your stats on the overall connectivity being good for 9780 on WiFi. I've had 3 phones now, and I still can't get a good connection. After hours of arguing with BB and t-mobile, some snotty representative was willing to give me an Android phone for $140.00. That's $299 for a new customer. I've been with t-mobile for 8 years, and that is the best they can do? I bought this phone new, and I suspect that they have been replacing them with refurbs. It is so disgusting. Unfortunately we have zero input. I have 488 and it still doesn't to squat.
    05-06-11 05:47 PM
    has there been a fix to this issue? I think I'm suffering from it too!!!
    07-20-11 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD