Hello, I tried searching this even in google, but if I missed anything my apologies I'm on the raod and admit my search efforts may have been halfa#s.

With that said, has anyone successfully logged on to a wifi network likes starbucks where they require you enter a User name and password?

I'm in starbucks now and can't get it to work. The phone sees the network and does some sort of connection because I see the name of the network at the top of my screen, but there is no data being transfered and I can't get to any page that ask for the info.

Hopefully someone has gotten this to work before, seeing that most bb users drink starbucks... Lol

Thanks for any help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 03:14 PM
    Sorry, I've never tried SBux wifi...my only rec is are you entering the password correctly, espeically if it has special characters, easily fudged.
    07-27-09 03:17 PM
    No, sorry I don't go into StarSucks. I go to real coffee shops instead.
    07-27-09 03:18 PM
    No, sorry I don't go into StarSucks. I go to real coffee shops instead.
    You mean Starbucks serves fake coffee? Man, I've been misguided this whole time, thanks for helping me see the light!!

But to the original post, I have tried the same thing you are trying to do in different places that require a login and pass. As far as I know it isn't possible because when you get onto those networks it uses your browser to display the info that allows you to login. I don't think it works with mobile browers. The only wifi spots I have been able to get onto in this type of environment are open networks and those that are locked but they give you the password (some hotels etc).
    07-27-09 03:46 PM
    It will not work. Been tried many times.
    07-27-09 03:50 PM
    You guys only like Starbucks because you never had Community Coffee.
    07-27-09 03:58 PM
    If I remember correctly didn't AT&T buy all the rights to all of Starbucks wireless networks??? And I believe they are all password protected and the password rotates on a daily basis. Good reason to use different coffee shops that have FREE Wifi.
    07-27-09 04:23 PM
    If I remember correctly didn't AT&T buy all the rights to all of Starbucks wireless networks??? And I believe they are all password protected and the password rotates on a daily basis. Good reason to use different coffee shops that have FREE Wifi.
    Exactly ... and better tasting coffee.
    07-27-09 04:27 PM
    i will have my wifi venti please.
    07-27-09 06:44 PM
    Go to panera.
    07-27-09 06:45 PM
    I like Caribou... it's a Minnesota company... there HQ is a mile from my current home
    07-27-09 06:48 PM
    I was at Starbucks yesterday. Here is how you get your 8900 to use the FREE wifi.

If you see the name come up on the top of your screen, something like AT&T - AT&T WIFI, then skip to step 3

1. Go to Wifi Set up. Then hit Next.
    2. Scan for Networks. You should then see the AT&T wifi. Select that network.
    3. Go back to Wifi Set up, then hit next. Now you should see a "Login to Network".
    4. Select that and you are now connected on wifi. You should see your wifi logo change from grey to white.

So you not only have to find the network, you have to login. Make sure it is the AT&T wifi, as there could be other networks open.

This will not work at a T-mobile hotspot, where you do need a login and password and I think the cost is $9.99 a month.

Good Luck.
    07-27-09 06:51 PM
    I always go to Panera, Caribou, and Cups. All free wifi
    07-27-09 06:57 PM
    Go to panera.
    Panera ftw!
    07-27-09 08:28 PM
    Go to panera.
    Yeah ggod choice with Panera...also get a cup of broc/cheese soup..oh yeah thats the best...havent tried their coffee though...but I think Panera is only in Florida right?
    07-27-09 09:33 PM
    AceRunnings: Starbucks actually gives you a piece of paper with the login and password on it and when you open your browser it takes you to a page where you can enter the info. Then it works. this is how it is done on a PC.

I read some thing in google where some person successfully did through opera mini. I downloaded this program but it still didn;t work. It is not the end of the world, just wanted to know if it was possible.

thanks for the help so far.

to all the coffee snobs, it all taste the same to me... (obviously I'm not a cofee drinker, never bought into the whole caffine thing)
    07-27-09 09:44 PM
    ... to all the coffee snobs, it all taste the same to me... (obviously I'm not a cofee drinker, never bought into the whole caffine thing)
    Somehow we are coffee snobs because we don't like Starsucks? That's probably the most contradictory thing anyone has ever said. Good job for that!

Caffeine = productive worker. Not sure what else you think there is to the "whole caffeine thing" you speak of.
    07-27-09 09:53 PM
    I asked the barista at a Starbucks near me and she said you'd have to buy a card (like a gift card or something) for whatever amount for certain times of use....$5 for 2 hours of use. Not free at all.
    07-27-09 10:05 PM
    On my 8900 it automatically connects to ATT WIFI, the signal indicator changes to UMA, and I'm able to browse the web on Opera Mini without signing in or paying anything... Idk if I'm using my EDGE connection despite it saying UMA.
    07-27-09 10:51 PM
    On my 8900 it automatically connects to ATT WIFI, the signal indicator changes to UMA, and I'm able to browse the web on Opera Mini without signing in or paying anything... Idk if I'm using my EDGE connection despite it saying UMA.
    Same here. After I set it up the first time, it connects automatically whenever I'm by an AT&T WiFi hotspot. Never needed a password. SSID is attwifi
    07-27-09 11:42 PM
    I agree that it automatically connects to wifi at Starbucks. But the wifi logo is grey. To get to use wifi and make the logo white, you need to login on your blackberry. I never asked for or paid for a card.

I am sure that I was able to connect for free. I have the PrimeTime2go application. In order to download a TV show, you need wifi. I was able to download over wifi. In fact, you can only download over wifi, not EDGE.
    07-28-09 04:45 PM
    I believe all the starbucks are T-mobile Hot spots. you have to have TMO hotspots on your account to use in starbucks and the cost use to be 9.99 a month.
    07-28-09 05:10 PM
    I believe all the starbucks are T-mobile Hot spots. you have to have TMO hotspots on your account to use in starbucks and the cost use to be 9.99 a month.
    Yep, my phone picks up wifi every morning I go in to order my Grande White Chocolate Mocha with Soy.

Take that Aristile!
    07-28-09 06:52 PM
    Yep, my phone picks up wifi every morning I go in to order my Grande White Chocolate Mocha with Soy.

Take that Aristile!
    HAHAHA Reggie!!! I knew there was something about you that bothered me, now I know what that is!! LOL

P.S. So you like that white chocolate, eh?
    07-28-09 06:54 PM
    If I can remember correctly, with T-Mobile the login and password is your 10 digit phone number without dashes. Example: 2075551234 and the password is the last 4 digits on the account holder Social Security Number.

I worked for T-Mobile and I think thats what we had to tell customers.

I could be wrong so don't flame me but if anyone is near a T-Mobile hotspot they can try it as I live in Maine so I can't afford crap coffee at Starbucks, I have to make coffee at home like someone wanted us to do with the invention on a coffee maker. Sorry, I'm not lazy and I don't have other people make my coffee for outrageous prices
    07-28-09 07:19 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD