This is posted on BGR. Any truth to it?

On Jun 27, 2009 @ 12:20 am, Name (required) Said:

Why is everyone so hyped over this? Because their only other option on a CDMA carrier is a piece of **** 8830 edition. The curve isn�t �world edition� which means those who actually use their bb and travel internationally are f#cked when it comes down to it, cause they either have to have a world edition or a curve and then rent a device when they go overseas.
    As a note: I have numerous blackberry devices and get them before they hit the market. I currently have a 9630 WITH wifi that Sprint is probably eventually going to launch on their network.
    Here�s what I will say about the 9630�the 9630 itself is the best designed blackberry on the market period�the 9630 with wifi (which everyone hopes Sprint decides to bring to the table) is even better than that. Granted, it doesn�t run UMA, but it does have WiFi.
    Now, something else to take to note. RIM isn�t dumb. Why do you think that since the storm and from this point on, RIM is releasing all CDMA devices as �world editions��not a big deal right? Wrong. The big deal is that RIM is now including GSM radios that will connect to the US GSM networks. Therefore. Trust me�you are going to see a ****load of these devices unlocked on eBay and Craigslist, and users taking them to ATT and TMobile.
    RIM recognizes, if they do that, they will sell more devices�whichever BlackBerry you want �technically� on whatever carrier you want�which is the way it should be�and if VZW and Sprint are smart, they will offer unlock codes with no hesitation to accounts that are in good standing�why? Because regardless even if they subsidize the prices, those subsidized prices, even if they are sold on craigslist, the original contract holder is still locked in for 2 years or an ETF fee, so they aren�t losing any money at all�if Sprint and VZW wanna make loot, offer unlocked versions at full MSRP�****ers will pay for it�look at the above fools that will skip a months worth of rent in order to get the newest blackberry�its a status symbol. A phenomenon�Whatever you want to call it.
    And those of you who may disagree with me�BG himself can verify I currently have a 9630 with wifi, a 8530 and 8520, a Storm 2 AND a 9100 in my possesion�so **** ya�ll haters.
    06-26-09 11:53 PM
    cant believe there's been no comments on this. I'm curious what the other posts in this thread on BG said.. have the link.

I think it would rock if wifi was present on the sprint version!!!
    06-27-09 11:16 AM
    cant believe there's been no comments on this. I'm curious what the other posts in this thread on BG said.. have the link.

From what I've read from other sources, wifi was on the Sprint test phones, but that the battery got drained very quickly and of course Sprint is probably concerned that it will reduce the user's dependency on Sprint, and therefore lower the amount the person pays to Sprint for their service.

I want wifi as much as the next guy, but I don't know that because it has been spotted on the Sprint Tour, that it means it will show up on the production Sprint version.

I really do wish Sprint would include it. Having the ability to use email and surf the web on a wifi enabled airplane on a BB would be very helpful.
    06-27-09 11:21 AM
    not to mention the feature present on Sprint's version would be a smack in the competition's face!

As for the battery.. when I use Sprint TV/Radio the battery drains like crazy too.. yet it's there. I think battery drain with some features should be expected. I'm sure wifi wouldnt be as bad as the tv running!
    06-27-09 11:28 AM
    not to mention the feature present on Sprint's version would be a smack in the competition's face!

As for the battery.. when I use Sprint TV/Radio the battery drains like crazy too.. yet it's there. I think battery drain with some features should be expected. I'm sure wifi wouldnt be as bad as the tv running!
    It definitely would. That would be way cool. Also, they could always add it and have it disabled by default, but allow us power users to go in and enable it when needed. I don't know that wifi needs to be on all the time like I feel bluetooth needs to be so I can use my headset whenever I want. wifi could be turned on if I happen to be in a bad coverage area (doesn't happen very often to me at all), or if I'm on an airplane.

Still, we can't really count on any of this happening just because it was spotted on a Sprint test phone.
    06-27-09 11:34 AM
    We've known for a while that the 9630 has wifi capabilities, but were turned off at the request of the carrier, not due to battery issues. And just think, the Tour has exactly the same chipset in it the Storm does.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 11:35 AM
    We've known for a while that the 9630 has wifi capabilities, but were turned off at the request of the carrier, not due to battery issues. And just think, the Tour has exactly the same chipset in it the Storm does.

I heard it was because of battery life issues.
    06-27-09 03:30 PM
    Which they all of a sudden fixed on the Storm 2? I doubt it... it's not like you'd keep WIFI on all the time. I don't anticipate a different Qualcomm chipset then the current one on the next version of the Storm, so the only improvements they could have made are the power management modules. That much of a drastic jump in a few months, I just don't see it. I also don't anticipate a different type of battery in the Storm 2, so unless they packed up a 1600mAh battery in there for a bit of a boost, I don't see how they'd release it with wifi if it really is that much of a draw on power. I'm not dogging you, just not buying it, that's all.
    06-27-09 03:42 PM
    Thats what I heard to. Supposedly cdma bbs and wifi don't play together as nice as gsm bbs.

I would assume that RIM is working on fixing the technical issues that plague wifi equipped cdma bbs and hope to have it working right for the storm 2.
    06-27-09 04:43 PM
    Okay, there was talk at Sprint a while back about having another 9630 type model device after their WiMax or whatever is fully rolled out. That model will then have the Wi-Fi in it. So don't think your not gonna see a Tour type device with Wi-Fi.

06-27-09 04:58 PM
    do all sprint phones use the battery life more than an ATT type aka GSM radio?
    06-27-09 05:16 PM

umm why would they allow windows mobile phones to have wi-fi and not blackberry's..

that wouldn't make sense...

theres gotta be a technical issue.. whether its battery or not it wouldn't make any sense..
    06-27-09 05:22 PM
    I am pretty sure if the tour supported wifi that someone would have noticed by now. I doubt the current version of the tour has wifi. We will know for sure in a few weeks. It is possible that there is another verson of the tour or a similar phone planned in the future that will have wifi, but as of now, nothing public is known about such devices.

06-27-09 05:26 PM
    How can there be a technical issue if they've already stated that all future bb's will have wifi? You can't make a statement like that unless you've already got the means to do it.
    06-27-09 05:33 PM
    How can there be a technical issue if they've already stated that all future bb's will have wifi? You can't make a statement like that unless you've already got the means to do it.
    Not all BBs will have Wi-Fi.

06-27-09 05:39 PM
    Maybe RIM is still perfecting it...
    06-27-09 06:10 PM

umm who stated all future bb's will have wi-fi

nobody from rim nobody from verizon nobody from sprint...

at least not publically..

it was a leaked semi info to BGR...

keep that in mind..
    06-27-09 06:14 PM
    Maybe RIM is still perfecting it...
    wi-fi support in 5.0 anyone? i'll have that please, it sounds delicious
    Last edited by bacon.jay; 06-27-09 at 06:35 PM.
    06-27-09 06:23 PM
    umm who stated all future bb's will have wi-fi

nobody from rim nobody from verizon nobody from sprint...

at least not publically..

it was a leaked semi info to BGR...

keep that in mind..
    Not publicly of course and all is a loose word. You will see a CDMA BlackBerry with Wi-Fi in the future.
    06-27-09 06:31 PM
    Not publicly of course and all is a loose word. You will see a CDMA BlackBerry with Wi-Fi in the future.
    Called the Odin. But the Aries I'm not sure. Heard it will have Wi-Fi and heard it won't. I'm gonna trust won't because on the About screen there's no Wi-Fi labeled. Even in the 8520 Gemini OS file name it has 8520wifi and on 5.0.0.70 the device name its geminiwifi.

06-27-09 07:00 PM
    According the manual I downloaded there is no mention of Wi-Fi. I have a feeling this replaces the 8830 and there will probably be a non-quad band phone released that is not WE and has wi-fi. Why would anyone think those of us that have access to Wi-Fi on an International Flight actually want to use it?
    06-27-09 07:06 PM

If it was on the Sprint branded Tour, it would be on ALL branded Tours, which is not the case.

From what I've read from other sources, wifi was on the Sprint test phones, but that the battery got drained very quickly and of course Sprint is probably concerned that it will reduce the user's dependency on Sprint, and therefore lower the amount the person pays to Sprint for their service.

I want wifi as much as the next guy, but I don't know that because it has been spotted on the Sprint Tour, that it means it will show up on the production Sprint version.

I really do wish Sprint would include it. Having the ability to use email and surf the web on a wifi enabled airplane on a BB would be very helpful.
    Had nothing to do with battery life. Carrier request.

Previous response.

Okay, there was talk at Sprint a while back about having another 9630 type model device after their WiMax or whatever is fully rolled out. That model will then have the Wi-Fi in it. So don't think your not gonna see a Tour type device with Wi-Fi.

You wont, but there are plenty of other CDMA models with WiFi in both development and pre-production.

You will see quite a few actually.

Called the Odin. But the Aries I'm not sure. Heard it will have Wi-Fi and heard it won't. I'm gonna trust won't because on the About screen there's no Wi-Fi labeled. Even in the 8520 Gemini OS file name it has 8520wifi and on 5.0.0.70 the device name its geminiwifi.

As of right now all pre-production models have WiFi.
    06-27-09 07:42 PM
    Radio, I just think its weird (maybe it was just the very early build) but on the first pictures of the Aries it had no Wi-Fi labeled.

06-27-09 09:00 PM
    We won't know till it actually comes out, hopefully the predicted date of July 20 is real

06-27-09 09:28 PM
    We won't know till it actually comes out, hopefully the predicted date of July 20 is real

LOL Ill save you the trouble. It WONT have WiFi
    06-28-09 01:16 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD