hey guys,

is it possible to plug your storm 2 into your laptop, and have it search for the laptops wifi connection settings, than steal those settings and setup a connection on the phone?

so basically find your network settings while plugged into the laptop, than copy them.
    03-03-10 04:54 PM
    are you looking to get the password from your PC?
    03-03-10 05:01 PM
    Well im at college, and the network has a specific username and password per student... and the phone allows you type in a username and password... but since the phone isnt on the college domain... it wont accept it.
    03-03-10 05:07 PM
    Oh thats a bummer. Sorry I cant think of any way you can connect to it without the username and password
    03-03-10 05:15 PM
    i was just wondering if while the blackberry is connected to the laptop via the ethernet cable, if there was a way the blackberry could steal the settings the laptop uses...
    03-03-10 06:01 PM
    03-03-10 06:06 PM
    As long as you get a decent signal, I wouldn't worry about it too much--WiFi is nice, but definitely not necessary for S2 enjoyment.
    03-03-10 07:44 PM
    i was just wondering if while the blackberry is connected to the laptop via the ethernet cable, if there was a way the blackberry could steal the settings the laptop uses...
    It can't steal the settings, but see if you can't talk to a person at school's IT dept. I know they usually help people connect laptops, etc. but I was able to connect by talking to one.

At my law school, we have the same "username and password" limitation, but I was able to connect the Storm2 to the network by messing with some of the settings. The last thing I needed was the proper security certificate (because there are at least 100 to choose from on the phone) and I went to the IT people and asked. They told me the one and viola, I was connected, BIS and everything. The IT guy just told me that he would have helped with the entire thing, settings and all.

Of course, if that's too much of a hassle, I agree with Pete, WiFi is nice, but as long as you have some 3G coverage, it won't hinder the phone to not have it on.
    03-03-10 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD