I have read the threads on how the settings but I'm still confused on what should be set to what.

Here's what I "THOUGHT" should be the setting:

Open browser>Options
    Under Default Browser, Choose "HOTSPOT Browser"

I had that set up and everything was fine at home. WIFI signal was white. I even turned off the Mobile Network to see if I could still open the browser with WIFI and it did.

Now my problem....

I leave my house. I'm no longer in range of my network at home, so WIFI is grey. I open the browser, which opens to my homepage (google), but when I try to open Crackberry Mobile... I get the error "This is a WIFI service. Make sure you have a WIFI connection".

I then have to go back to Options>Default Browswer... and change it back to "INTERNET Browser"

From the threads I've read, people are saying that they set it to HOTSPOT and when out of range, they would still be able to access the internet/browser WITHOUT having to go back and changing the setting.

Am I misunderstanding the whole concept here?

Thanks for explaining in detail!! I know there are threads on this, but still can't get it to work without having to go back everytime to change the setting.

THANKS!!
    07-16-10 08:42 PM
    I am a Wi-Fi newbie (just got my VZW 9650 two weeks ago). I have my browser set to "Internet Browser" and haven't changed the settings at all. My BlackBerry connects to Wi-Fi at home, at work, at Starbuck's, and any other hotspots I've encountered. I *think* the hotspot browser setting is to prevent the browser from using data except when Wi-Fi is available.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-16-10 09:31 PM
    ...From the threads I've read, people are saying that they set it to HOTSPOT and when out of range, they would still be able to access the internet/browser WITHOUT having to go back and changing the setting.

Am I misunderstanding the whole concept here?
    I was one of those people who stated that I used hotspot as my default and when out-of-range, it would automatically switch to data. I've found three anomalies: 1) If you don't close the browser prior to changing locations, you'll get that message, 2) That auto switching is not consistent, and 3) With hotspot as default and out-of-range, I can open webpages from my favorites, but if I click on a link in an e-mail, I get that message.

This Wi-fi is driving me batty too!
    07-16-10 11:43 PM
    I just leave mine set to Internet Browser. When I turn on Wi-Fi and am in range of the router, it automatically switches to Wi-Fi, without changing the browser to Hotspot.

I suspect that the purpose of Hotspot Browser is to ensure that no browser data uses the mobile network, in the event that one might incur data charges, such as international.

Since I am not leaving the country and have an unlimited data plan, I have no need to use the Hotspot Browser setting.
    07-17-10 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD